Author Topic: Waitress Flirts w/ Date  (Read 6500 times)

snowdragon

Re: Waitress Flirts w/ Date
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 01:19:30 PM »
I went to a high class restaurant, with a friend of mine. She said she wanted to "do and experiment" we went had dinner and were waited on a young woman, that would not look at me, take my order, or even fill my water glass unless directed to by my friend. This was a fairly high end restaurant and just recently opened. At one point she even touched my friend's face and hair, another time when she came back she ran her hand down friend's arm.
   When we left, my friend walked in back and said 'I want to introduce you to the Chef" - the look on the waitresses face was priceless when she realized my friend was the Chef/Owner's sister! ( my jaw was also on the floor, to be honest) all my friend said was that 'Everything you heard was true, if you want details call me later."
  I don't remember if she left  a tip, but  I got a gift certificate from the restaurant in the mail, because the Chef/Owner did not want my only impression of his place to be that waitress. The waitress was not there.

Fleur

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 01:29:36 PM »
I went to a high class restaurant, with a friend of mine. She said she wanted to "do and experiment" we went had dinner and were waited on a young woman, that would not look at me, take my order, or even fill my water glass unless directed to by my friend. This was a fairly high end restaurant and just recently opened. At one point she even touched my friend's face and hair, another time when she came back she ran her hand down friend's arm.
   When we left, my friend walked in back and said 'I want to introduce you to the Chef" - the look on the waitresses face was priceless when she realized my friend was the Chef/Owner's sister! ( my jaw was also on the floor, to be honest) all my friend said was that 'Everything you heard was true, if you want details call me later."
  I don't remember if she left  a tip, but  I got a gift certificate from the restaurant in the mail, because the Chef/Owner did not want my only impression of his place to be that waitress. The waitress was not there.

I am confused by this story. Why did the waitress touch your friend's face(ew!) and ignore you? It isn't clear.

yokozbornak

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »

I am confused by this story. Why did the waitress touch your friend's face(ew!) and ignore you? It isn't clear.

I am confused, too.  What was your friend's experiment?  It sounds like maybe she was trying to set the waitress up.

TealDragon

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 01:51:07 PM »
When DF and I had been dating for about 4 months, we went to a fairly nice new restaurant to celebrate him getting a new job. Our waitress was a girl he'd gone to high school with but hadn't seen in the few years since high school, and he didn't really seem to remember her. She had to introduce herself and remind him of the classes they'd had together. When he finally did remember her (which he later told me he really didn't but it was so awkward he just wanted the moment to end), she giggled like crazy and said he was always such a silly guy and grabbed his shoulder and started to sort of massage it. She took his drink order and started to walk away, so I said really quick "And I'll have a coke as well" and she turned around and looked surprised and said "Oh! Ok." She brought back a coke for DF and a diet coke for me. I told her right away that it was diet and she argued that I had ordered that. I said I hadn't, I can't drink the artificial sweetener, so there is no way I would ever order a diet drink. She finally took my drink and then turned her back to me and leaned her butt on our table towards me and started talking to DF and asking what he'd been up to since high school. He said he just got a new job and so we were out to celebrate and he called me his girlfriend and gestured to me. She looked at me with surprise again and said "Oh! Ok." again and walked off. She brought back a regular coke and took our orders. DF's plate was almost overflowing with food and he somehow ended up with an extra side of lobster bisque and when he pointed it out, she said to just keep it because the kitchen couldn't take it back. My food however, was slightly overcooked (medium-well instead of medium-rare) and my sides were very tiny. I chose not to say anything as it was still just within the bounds of reasonable portions and I didn't want to have to wait for a new steak. DF noticed and gave the extra soup to me since he doesn't eat seafood anyway. When the waitress saw me eating the soup, she laughed and said to DF "Those darn girlfriends, always stealing your food!" and offered to bring him a new one, which he declined and he also said he gave it to me because my food didn't look as appetizing as his. Every time she came to our table, her back was to me and she found some excuse to reach out and touch DF. At one point, she even sat down in the booth and tried to say they should get together for coffee and catch up, while leaning up against him! Poor DF looked so embarrassed, and he apologized so much in the car on the way home, but it wasn't his fault, of course. He was convinced I was going to break up with him after that though, he was so furious with her for what he thought would end his relationship for sure. When she brought the check out, I made a point of saying "Oh no, let me get this, Sweetie" and the look on her face was just priceless. That is one of the only times I've not tipped someone.

I just can't understand why you would ever ignore or be pointedly rude to any member of a party. When I waited tables in college, everyone I worked with was very aware of being nice to everyone and most people made a point NOT to flirt with anyone at a table, specifically because it would lower your tips. I don't know if we just had really good people working there or what, but that just wasn't considered acceptable. The couple of new people who would try it out would quickly learn why no one else did it and get teased in the kitchen if another waiter saw them do it.

kansha

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
no, it sounds like the owner had heard that this waitress tended to do this sort of thing, and wanted to see if it was true by sending in someone known to get a first-hand experience...thus the 'experiment'.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 01:54:35 PM »

I am confused, too.  What was your friend's experiment?  It sounds like maybe she was trying to set the waitress up.

It sounds to me like perhaps the Chef/Owner had gotten complaints about this waitress's behaviour, and wanted the PP's friend to come in as a kind of 'undercover patron' to find out if the complaints were legit.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

snowdragon

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »

It's her way of flirting, kind of like some waitresses who are far too forward will sit in someone's lap.  There apparently had been several complaints about it. 
To the person that said it seemed like a set up. She kind of was trying to set her up, at  her brother's request, they were trying to see if the girl was just a bit too friendly or if the complaints were founded.
  The face and hair touching is kind of like someone sitting in a guy's lap, but going a step further.  If it had been just overly friendly, they can deal with it....this was so far beyond overly friendly it wasn't funny. We were both *really* uncomfortable with her behavior.

no, it sounds like the owner had heard that this waitress tended to do this sort of thing, and wanted to see if it was true by sending in someone known to get a first-hand experience...thus the 'experiment'.

This.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 02:05:49 PM by snowdragon »

yokozbornak

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2012, 02:32:14 PM »

It's her way of flirting, kind of like some waitresses who are far too forward will sit in someone's lap.  There apparently had been several complaints about it. 
To the person that said it seemed like a set up. She kind of was trying to set her up, at  her brother's request, they were trying to see if the girl was just a bit too friendly or if the complaints were founded.
  The face and hair touching is kind of like someone sitting in a guy's lap, but going a step further.  If it had been just overly friendly, they can deal with it....this was so far beyond overly friendly it wasn't funny. We were both *really* uncomfortable with her behavior.

This.

That makes perfect sense!  My brain just wasn't connecting the dots.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2012, 03:16:08 PM »
A friend once told me about a first date she went on where the waitress similarly ignored her while doting on her date.  At the end of the meal when she brought the check, her date asked the waitress point blank "If you were my beautiful date, who you treated so poorly tonight, what would you leave as a tip for this level of service?"  The waitress apparently sort of stammered a bit before scurrying off.  My friend isn't sure what he tipped (he was treating), but suspects it wasn't much.

He was kind of a weird dude, and that was probably a rude thing to say, but I suppose at least the woman knew exactly why she had no one to blame but herself for the lousy tip.

I think that was a perfect way to handle it, actually.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2012, 04:23:15 PM »
I have to wonder if some of these waitresses aren't also practicing the oldest profession on the side. Not all of them, or even most of them, but some of the more outrageous ones...
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Addy

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 04:43:25 PM »

This.

I'm still not connecting the dots,  because what's confusing me is the gender. Were the two who went out to dinner both female? Was the waitress flirting with one woman and not the other? Or is Snowdragon male, and she was ignoring him?

I guess I'm just completely out to lunch on this one.  ;)

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2012, 04:50:25 PM »
I have to wonder if some of these waitresses aren't also practicing the oldest profession on the side. Not all of them, or even most of them, but some of the more outrageous ones...

That's a huge leap.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2012, 05:05:46 PM »

This.

I'm still not connecting the dots,  because what's confusing me is the gender. Were the two who went out to dinner both female? Was the waitress flirting with one woman and not the other? Or is Snowdragon male, and she was ignoring him?

I guess I'm just completely out to lunch on this one.  ;)

I don't think the gender really matters; what matters is that the waitress was singling out a specific patron and being overly friendly and inappropriately touchy.  Even if she wasn't flirting, her behavior was way OTT.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Fleur

« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »

That's a huge leap.

I would also think it would be unlikely. Someone practicing the oldest profession would be more, ahem, professional ;)

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2012, 06:55:14 PM »
Waitresses set up by owners to verify complaints, and another comment that flirty waitresses are prostitutues pushed the thread over the edge

Locked.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.