Author Topic: Thinking about getting an iPad - any advice?  (Read 2433 times)

katiescarlett

Thinking about getting an iPad - any advice?
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:14:11 AM »
I have a laptop, and a kindle fire.  However, I am seriously considering giving the kindle to my niece next year (she is wanting one, but her parents want her to be 8 first), getting rid of my smartphone, and getting an iPad. I love my smartphone, but I barely use a tenth of the internet that I pay for each month (5 GB) and think I would prefer an ipad with a limited data plan instead.  I have wi-fi at home, work, and at school, so I mostly use wifi with my phone instead of my internet.  I do like the hotspot on my phone, but rarely use it.

I really don't think I would miss my smartphone that much, as long as I keep unlimited texting on whatever phone I would get, and I would probably have the ipad with me all the time (I carry my kindle everywhere), so I could use it to get online instead of my phone (which I rarely do, I prefer to use the kindle).

I don't want two data plans, hence getting rid of the smartphone.  Would you all suggest getting the new ipad, or would one of the older, less expensive versions do just as well?

Thanks!

girlysprite

• I like big books, and I cannot lie
Re: Thinking about getting an iPad - any advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:35:17 AM »
Hello, I'm posting from an ipad1 here :) if you just want to use the ipad for reading and browsing, the ipad1 should be enough to meet those needs. It's what I use my ipad for and it works just fine for me.

If the ipad is a bit large to carry around, you may also comsider android tablets, they also have a range of smaller tablets which also suit those needs. My DH got a new one this week, with a screensize approx 1/2 of an ipad1.

P-p-p-penguin

• Crazy... but that's how it goes
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:06:16 AM »
When I was in the market for an iPad a few months ago, I personally didn't think that the cost of a new iPad 3 was worth it. The differences between the models are fairly minor, but the difference in cost is not. In fact, I wasn't actually all that bothered about having a brand new iPad 2 either, so I did some research and got a refurbished 32GB wifi only iPad 2 from the Apple store and would highly recommend getting one this way.

It looks and functions exactly like a brand new item. You would never know it is refurbished. It comes with a new case and battery, proper packaging (lovely white box, complete with new components), has the same guarantee as a new item, and was about 80 cheaper than buying it new! It was a great buy, I use it every day. Completely worth it IMO.

I didn't get 3G because I couldn't afford two data plans, and it wouldn't have been worth doing anyway as I have access to free wifi in the majority of places I use it. What I did learn, however, is that you can use data tethering between the iPhone and iPad to use your phone like a modem for your iPad. This is dependent on your mobile provider though, and mine charges extra for this service, so I've not bothered. But for you this might be worth looking into if you have an iPhone if, for example, the difference in price between a wifi and 3G iPad + iPad only data plan = more than what you are paying now for your smartphone.

demarco

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 05:42:34 AM »
It is rumored that Apple is introducing a 7 to 8 inch iPad next week.  It is likely to be less expensive than the 10 inch one. I have a 10 inch and, while I love it (fabulous for watching video), it is a little too big to stuff in my handbag and adds a little too much weight.  I think a smaller version would be better for ebooks. 

My iPad is a first generation and the features are fine for my purposes.  I don't think  that the subsequent versions were great leaps forward if you don't want a camera.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 06:17:31 AM »
I too am posting from an iPad.  One thing to consider is that it gets heavy & a bit awkward after a while.

Redsoil

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 06:17:50 AM »
Oooh!  A 7" Ipad would be brilliant!
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
I bought an iPad for my husband for our anniversary.  If I could do one thing over, it would be to get the one with data capabilities.  Especially now since our cell phone carrier is offering a data plan for only $10 per month.

SunVixen

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 12:59:47 AM »
Something you should make sure of before getting an iPad.  One is to make sure that you have a computer with iTunes on it, preferably newer than Windows XP.  Apple recently upgraded iTunes and put out a new version of software for their devices (iOS 6).  While most of the iPads can do software updates wirelessly, if you have to do any sort of troubleshooting, you may have to connect to iTunes.

Most of the people I talk to love their iPads....when they can get them away from the kids.  ;)
We are all wanderers on this earth. Our hearts are full of wonder, and our souls are deep with dreams.

ydpubs

• Has a fine singing voice.
  • Reading the threads here makes me hungry.
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »
I would get a Samsung Galaxy tablet before I'd get an iPad. You get a lot more for less money and they are infinitely more customizeable. And expandable memory.

I don't think they are worth the money for what you get and I do not like the restrictive nature of Apple and iTunes in general.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:36:47 AM by ydpubs »
No matter where you go, there you are...

Shopaholic

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 02:15:51 AM »
I got a new iPAD for my birthday.
It's a nice toy, and was easier to travel with than with a heavy laptop, but it's still heavy and bulky in my bag (but fits great in a backpack). I used it mostly for downloading books.
It's nice to have around the house because we only have one laptop, and the camera is really great. My husband uses it mostly for Angry Birds.
It has also made me a very popular aunt.

My cellular carrier has an option of splitting a SIM card - it cost us about $1 a month (not in the  US). The original SIM is in a phone, and the new one shares the data plan with it but has no phone or texting capabilities - which is perfect for an iPAD.
The company didn't give me this option straight away, wanted us to get another data plan - but my husband made a few calls and then suddenly the sales rep "remembered".

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 09:04:38 AM »
The thing about the iPad is all the iPad apps that don't work (or don't work as well) on other tablets.

I know that our newspaper subscription includes a "free" iPad app (no iPads in the household, though) and I've seen several other "free" iPad apps touted - our ISP offers a "free" streaming of current tv shows on iPads.

But the price of an iPad is enough to make you think twice (at least, it makes ME think twice) about whether or not it is worth it....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 09:34:55 AM »
We gave my mother an iPad2 for Christmas - cannot get it out of her hands now!
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 09:44:37 AM »
I am in the market for a tablet as well.  After much research I decided that for my needs, the new Kindle Fire HD 8.9" is the winner.  All I really want to do is sit in my recliner and surf the web without having to have my laptop out.  I have a Kindle touch already that I LOVE for reading.  Doubtful that I will read on the Fire because of the backlit screen - but I could if I wanted to and all my books would be there! I'm not a heavy app user, but the ones I'm most concerned about are available for the Kindle (Scramble with Friends, Words with Friends, etc).  Don't get me wrong - I think the ipad is really cool, but for my needs it's not worth the extra cost.

Anyway - my DH has an iPad that he doesn't use nearly as much as he thought he would.  He has an iPad 2.  He isn't all that thrilled with the wireless connectivity - even in our house with a signal being broadcast on the first floor, he can't get the internet upstairs in the bedroom.  Granted this could be a function of the way our house is laid out, but it's worth mentioning.  The other thing he is already looking forward to my Fire having is an HDMI out - so we can stream movies or whatever from Amazon and display them on the TV. He is a total and complete, photo/video junkie and made the comment last night - "I just can't imagine using my ipad to take a picture.".  Should be noted that we both have iPhones, so we get our Apple "fix" there as well as our Mac computer.  lol

In terms of the data plan, I don't think you *have* to subscribe to the plan for your iPad, but you *can* if you want to if you get the iPad with those capabilities. I also noticed last night that they have a new cover available for the iPad that also covers the back - I think we will be getting it for DH for Christmas.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

Phonix

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 10:23:04 AM »
Hi.

I have a IPad, second generation. I use pretty much everyday. I read books (Kindle, Nook and Apple's reading apps), surf the Internet, play videos (ITunes and Netflix). You can hook it up to a TV (requires a separate connector). We also use FaceTime (video chat) and Messages. My family has 2 Touches and Shuffle. They are the only products that I have used more, year after year. And I have not even talked about the ability to sync my calendars, contacts and email from work and personal life.

I do have ITunes on my computer but I have never needed to use it for troubleshooting or downloading software. I just use it as back-up. I also have an Android smart phone and Acer computer. I still spend the majority of my time on it.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »
My company gave me an iPad 2.  It's the only Apple product I've used since Mac's back in '89.  I love the iPad but I do get frustrated that it does not support Adobe Flash player as lots of websites still use it.

I also don't install a lot of the applications that are for specific sites.  I think I would have been just as happy with a Samsung, which is what I'm getting my DH for Christmas.