Author Topic: Favorite book of all time  (Read 5414 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Favorite book of all time
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2012, 07:44:42 PM »
My favorite is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.

There was an excerpt in my 4th grade reader and I had to go the the library to read the whole thing. My mother had read to me and taken me to the library since I was 3, but that is the book that really, really got me hooked on reading.

As a puppy, my favorite book was Mr. Bear Squash-You-Flat by Morrell Gipson, which incidentally was the favorite of the Farside creator, Gary Larson.

Go ahead! Shoot me for cheating. My other two have been mentioned: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and To Kill a Mockingbird.

I have read hundreds - thousands?- of current novels since, but those four are the ones that will stick with me forever.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
All Creatures Great and Small
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

suzieQ

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/The-Host-Novel-Stephenie-Meyer/dp/B004VD3XE2
It's a Sci-Fi book about a race that calls themselves "souls" that comes to Earth and takes over the bodies of everyone. A few "wild humans" remain that have not had "souls" inserted into them. The book focuses on Melanie, who has a "soul" but still exists inside and how the soul and Melanie interact. Really good book!

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human

Betelnut

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2012, 08:48:08 PM »
Ha, you guys have cool stuff. Mine has to be "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." The themes, the characters, the descriptions were incredibly rich and satisfying.

Boo!  You said mine already!  Written by Betty Smith.

More synopsis.  It is a coming-of-age story of a girl from (guessing here) about 8 to 18 or so during Depression-era Brooklyn.  As Finecabernet says, the descriptions of the characters and the place are amazing.  So many little vignettes are linked together to form a story that captures a time and a place but at the same time it is the story of a unique person and family.  I've probably read it 10-15 times.

Other favorites (yes, cheating here):  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. 

Betty Smith's other books are pretty good too.

All three of these books have had a profound influence upon me.
"And thus the whirligig of time brings in his
revenges." -- Feste, Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare.

Native Texan, Marylander currently

Betelnut

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »
A few years ago there was a fun Facebook game.  Here is the game and my 15 books.

15 Books in 15 Minutes:

Rules: Don't take too long to think about it. List 15 books you've read that will always stick with you. They should be the first 15 you can recall in no more than 15 minutes. Tag 15 friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what books my friends choose. (To do this, go to your Notes tab on your Profile page, paste these rules in a new Note, cast your 15 picks, and tag people in the Note, upper right hand side.)

In no special order--

1. In the Shadow of Man--Jane Goodall
2. To Kill a Mockingbird -- Harper Lee
3. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn -- Betty Smith
3. The Flounder -- Gunter Grass
4. Why People Believe Weird Things -- Michael Shermer
5. Cult Movies 1,2,3 -- Danny Peary
6. The Complete Far Side, 1980-1994 -- Gary Larson
7. The Leopard -- Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa
8. Another Roadside Attraction -- Tom Robbins
9. Fahrenheit 451 -- Ray Bradbury
10. Time Enough for Love -- Robert Heinlein
11. How the Mind Works -- Steven Pinker
12. The Story of Doctor Dolittle -- Hugh Lofting
13. The Lord of the Rings -- JRR Tolkien
14. A Christmas Carol -- Charles Dickens
15. Little Women -- Louisa May Alcott

sourwolf

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2012, 10:00:39 PM »
Ha, you guys have cool stuff. Mine has to be "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." The themes, the characters, the descriptions were incredibly rich and satisfying.

More synopsis.  It is a coming-of-age story of a girl from (guessing here) about 8 to 18 or so during Depression-era Brooklyn.  As Finecabernet says, the descriptions of the characters and the place are amazing.  So many little vignettes are linked together to form a story that captures a time and a place but at the same time it is the story of a unique person and family.  I've probably read it 10-15 times.

Other favorites (yes, cheating here):  To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. 

This is one of my favorite too, but you were off on the dates a little bit. It's actually the ten years or so prior WW1, with one of the last scene's being Francie's reaction to the newspaper announcing the war.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 10:06:11 PM »
Add me to A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.  To me, it is the book version of comfort food.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »
Sharinita has it - To Kill a Mockingbird.  hands down.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 10:54:10 PM »
This is completely amazing to me that the ones mentioned so far are pretty much from my youth! And I am am shocked that the regency romances haven't been mentioned yet after all the discussions we have had about Jane Austin's books.

By way, I am looking up The Host by Stephanie Meyer. Thanks, suzieQ.

Betelnut

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 09:16:14 AM »

This is one of my favorite too, but you were off on the dates a little bit. It's actually the ten years or so prior WW1, with one of the last scene's being Francie's reaction to the newspaper announcing the war.

Oops!

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
Mine would be Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Its a screamingly funny satire about the Apocalypse and Armageddon.

I can't name my favorite quote because there are just too many of them, but one of them is "[Humans] were born into a world that was against them in a thousand little ways, and then devoted most of their energies to making it worse... Just when you'd think they were more malignant than ever Hell could be, they could occasionally show more grace than Heaven ever dreamed of. Often the same individual was involved. It was this freewill thing, of course. It was a bugger."

Snooks

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 12:25:14 PM »
Sharinita has it - To Kill a Mockingbird.  hands down.

Another Mockingbird over here.  For everyone who loved it I'd recommend reading Mockingbird by Charles J Shields, it's a factual book telling the story of Harper Lee and her writing, very interesting.

readingchick

• Trivia Buff
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 12:51:33 PM »
The Girl Who Fell From the Sky by Heidi W. Durrow. It's about a girl who is the sole survivor of a family tragedy (she, her mother, and brother jump off the roof of their apartment building) and how it affects her life. It'll break your heart.

PeterM

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 01:41:19 PM »
What is your most-loved book you've ever read?

Rules: you may only pick ONE book.

This, for the record, is crazy talk. But I shall abide by your insane-troll-logic rule.

For me it's going to have to be Hunters of the Red Moon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley and her brother Paul Zimmer.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13172338-hunters-of-the-red-moon

It's about a human abducted by aliens to be sold into slavery. He and some other slaves rebel, and instead of being killed they're sold to the Hunters, an alien race who perform ritualized Most Dangerous Game type hunts. They release groups of slaves who have proven their worth in combat into a preserve on their moon and then hunt them down, using only primitive weapons. Our hero and his companions decide to team up. There are three humans - our hero, who has training in fencing, and two non-Earth humans, one of whom is a pacifist empath. There's also a cat-like alien and a reptilian philosopher who is willing to put aside philosophical things in order to beat the bejesus out of some Hunters with a ginormous club.

It's not my favorite book. I like it a lot, but it's not my favorite. But it is the first book I remember willingly choosing to buy. The cover caught my eye when I was five or six years old, and my mom bought it for me. It took me years to actually read the thing, but when I did I loved it and I've read it many times since. It's a decent-sized part of what got me into science fiction as much as I am, too, so "most-loved book" fits pretty well.

PeterM

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
Mine would be Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Its a screamingly funny satire about the Apocalypse and Armageddon.

I can't name my favorite quote because there are just too many of them, but one of them is "[Humans] were born into a world that was against them in a thousand little ways, and then devoted most of their energies to making it worse... Just when you'd think they were more malignant than ever Hell could be, they could occasionally show more grace than Heaven ever dreamed of. Often the same individual was involved. It was this freewill thing, of course. It was a bugger."

My favorite quote from Good Omens - which is an absolutely wonderful book that all should read - is about the protagonist's father. For those who haven't read it, the basic plot is that Armageddon is coming because the Anti-Christ has finally been born. He will be raised by a carefully chosen family in order to come into his full power and evilness and thus eventually cause the end of the world.

Only, there's a mix-up at the hospital and by accident he's given to a normal family, the Youngs. The Young raise him as best they can, so the boy we end up reading about is what happens when someone with the potential to be evil incarnate is raised by decent, caring people. It's all about the freewill thing, as Two Ravens said.

Anyway, my quote, about Adam's father, probably the greatest influence on the boy born to bring hell and damnation into the world:

"Archimedes said that with a long enough lever and a solid enough place to stand, he could move the world.

He could have stood on Mr. Young."

That's who I want raising the spawn of Satan. That man there.