Author Topic: Favorite book of all time  (Read 5669 times)

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
Re: Favorite book of all time
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2012, 02:07:54 AM »
Mine would be Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Its a screamingly funny satire about the Apocalypse and Armageddon.

I can't name my favorite quote because there are just too many of them, but one of them is "[Humans] were born into a world that was against them in a thousand little ways, and then devoted most of their energies to making it worse... Just when you'd think they were more malignant than ever Hell could be, they could occasionally show more grace than Heaven ever dreamed of. Often the same individual was involved. It was this freewill thing, of course. It was a bugger."

This is mine, too!  I absolutely love this book. 

My favorite quote, because it never fails to make me laugh every time I read it, is during the the list of dramatis personae when it describes Crowley as "an Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards."

God moves in extremely mysterious, not to say, circuitous ways. God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of His own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players*, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch-dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a Dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
* ie., everybody.

Trust me, it's just as hard to narrow my favorite books down to just one.  I chose one which was sadly underread, even for Scifi.  If Time Travel alternative histories with USSR vs US (Cold War was going while the greater half of the series was written) is not your thing, she has tons upon tons of books about cats, and most of those are in PD (at least, in the States.)

Or Retief, though I'd just recommend the free anthology Baen has for starters.  Especially to those who love snark and sarcasm, and a pairing of a straight guy and his disobedient partner. ;D

I blame my parents.  I should take a picture of the huge bookshelf we have out front, that doesn't even cover at least 5 boxes worth of more books.  Tiny, pulp fic sized Scifi books, mostly, with some bulky cookbooks thrown in.  Yeah... it runs in the family.

(My runners up were The Secret Garden, The Last Battle from the Narnia series, Little House On The Prairie, A Swiftly Tilting Planet, Call of the Wild, and Little Women. :) )
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:43:29 PM by Kaora »

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2012, 03:34:26 AM »
until i was 24 it was the neverending story by michael ende. i was forever frustrated that when i recommended it to my friends, they would use the excuse that they'd seen the movie. the book was NOTHING like the movie- well, the movie left a lot out, anyway. i found the book absolutely delightful, especially considering it was a translation from german.

after i worked in zimbabwe, fell in love with mukiwa, a white boy in africa by peter godwin. it's a memoir about growing up in a really turbulent time in zimbabwe. it's candid, at times delightful and at times heart-breaking. i would put this up there with the power of one, which is also a favourite.
I loved Mukiwa and its sequel which I have forgotten the name of. ( was it My Mothers Drums?) Very well written and informed me about that period of history.

Victoria

padua

« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
until i was 24 it was the neverending story by michael ende. i was forever frustrated that when i recommended it to my friends, they would use the excuse that they'd seen the movie. the book was NOTHING like the movie- well, the movie left a lot out, anyway. i found the book absolutely delightful, especially considering it was a translation from german.

after i worked in zimbabwe, fell in love with mukiwa, a white boy in africa by peter godwin. it's a memoir about growing up in a really turbulent time in zimbabwe. it's candid, at times delightful and at times heart-breaking. i would put this up there with the power of one, which is also a favourite.
I loved Mukiwa and its sequel which I have forgotten the name of. ( was it My Mothers Drums?) Very well written and informed me about that period of history.

you're the first person i've ever come across who's read it.
what's the sequel about? and was it as good?

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2012, 08:48:08 PM »
Mine would be Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. Its a screamingly funny satire about the Apocalypse and Armageddon.

I can't name my favorite quote because there are just too many of them, but one of them is "[Humans] were born into a world that was against them in a thousand little ways, and then devoted most of their energies to making it worse... Just when you'd think they were more malignant than ever Hell could be, they could occasionally show more grace than Heaven ever dreamed of. Often the same individual was involved. It was this freewill thing, of course. It was a bugger."

My favorite quote, because it never fails to make me laugh every time I read it, is during the the list of dramatis personae when it describes Crowley as "an Angel who did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards."

I just borrowed it from the library (never even heard of it before this thread) and I LOVED that line! When I read it I thought "Yeah, I'm gonna like this book."  ;D

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2012, 01:35:23 AM »

you're the first person i've ever come across who's read it.
what's the sequel about? and was it as good?
Yes I enjoyed them both.

Victoria

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: October 28, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
Because of this thread, I found out that my DH had never read Good Omens, a book I thoroughly love!  I have now gotten him his own copy, so he can see what all the fuss is about himself!

For myself, I would have to say that my favorite book of all time is A Brave New World.  I love how happy most people really seem to be.  In most dystopias, there's a sense that people aren't really happy, or aren't supposed to be happy.  I liked how frustrated John and Bernard get as they try to explain to people why they shouldn't be happy - that's how I've always thought it would happen. 

If I could nominate a series, or a collection of short stories, or an anthology, my choice would be very different.  I love the Miles Vorkosigan and Honor Harrington series.  I also love almost every Sherlock Holmes story, takeoff, pastiche, etc ever published, but specifically the ones by Laurie King. 

ixiva

« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »

arkzak

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »
I was just about to say Never Let Me Go as well. Heartbreaking and so beautifully written. Of course so was Remains of The Day by the same author.

crankycat

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2012, 04:59:51 PM »
I think mine would have to be "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel García Márquez - I was introduced to it in HS in Spanish class, and had to read it in spanish.  Loved it so much I re-read in English and pull it out every now and then to read.
Although I never read it in Spanish, this is also my favorite book.

portiafimbriata

• a.k.a. Mrs. Hexbane
  • I have an extradition treaty with all spiders
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2012, 08:02:50 PM »

I just borrowed it from the library (never even heard of it before this thread) and I LOVED that line! When I read it I thought "Yeah, I'm gonna like this book."  ;D

;D See my signature line.
I loved this book, even better than Anansi Boys (Neil Gaiman alone).
The old man had all his own teeth, but only because no-one else could possibly have wanted them.
-Good Omens

HermioneGranger

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2012, 02:14:56 PM »
I've been struggling with Good Omens for years.  I love the premise, but for some reason I can only read it in small doses (sigh).

Jaelle

« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »
Wonderful idea. And now I have lots of books I want to add to my to-read list! :D

Cheating just a wee bit, because my favorite books is actually a trilogy: The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay.

For favorite single book, "Ysabel" also by Kay. Set in current time, but with a link to the aforementioned trilogy. Just wonderful.

Favorite anthology: "Dreams Underfoot," Charles DeLint. His other Newford anthologies are also fantastic.
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2012, 03:27:28 PM »
Upthread, The Poisonwood Bible was mentioned.  It's so hard to choose only one book as an all-time favorite, but that one would definitely be in contention for mine.

Over the summer, I finally got around to reading a couple classics I'd somehow missed in high school/college.  They are Anna Karenina and East Of Eden. Both of them were can't-put-it-down wonderful. 

Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

ScubaGirl

« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2012, 03:58:36 PM »
By focusing on "most loved" criteria I'll second "The Lord of the Rings".  I also agree with a PP that some people's choices threw me as they were books I regretted reading the first time.

I have added 3 books to my Amazon cart based on this thread!  It was because of threads like this that I read "Ender's Game" and "Chrysalids" which I also enjoyed.  This post makes it sound like I just like SciFi and Fantasy but that is far from the truth.

MyFamily

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
I debated between two Pat Conroy novels - "The Prince of Tides" (once you've read the book, the movie is awful) because it is pure poetry but I believe my favorite is "The Lords of Discipline".  A story about friendship, loyalty, love and code.  I can read the book a million times, but when I reach a certain point I simply have to stop reading because I can't read what will happen next. 

I haven't read his stuff for ages, but that is because when I read his work I need to be able to immerse myself in his words and with 3 young kids at home that type of thing isn't going to happen easily.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol