Author Topic: Favorite book of all time  (Read 5711 times)

Violet Tulip

Re: Favorite book of all time
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2012, 10:22:16 PM »
Choosing only one book is so hard!

Currently my favorite is 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. It's hard to summarize what it's about without giving too much away. It's a book about love, evil, and multiple realities. Let's just leave it at that. I found it absolutely engrossing, and recommend it to everyone I know, with the caveat that Murakami, like all magic realism authors (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Magic_realism_writers) can be a bit of an acquired taste.

Jem

Re: Favorite book of all time
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2012, 10:51:26 PM »
My list of books to try has grown quite long!

Thoughts to shift through to get to my favorite:  I named myself after Jem from "To Kill a Mockingbird" because he is a remarkable character.  I was just recently introduced to Neil Gaiman (where have you been all my life).  So, I will have to go with my comfort book:  "The Accidental Tourist" by Anne Tyler. 

The story picks up a year after a couple's only child is killed and the beginning of the end to their marriage.  Macon, a middle aged man afraid to live a life of emotion and feelings, begins dating a young, slighty off, woman. 

“I'm beginning to think that maybe it's not just how much you love someone. Maybe what matters is who you are when you're with them.”  Love that quote.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 09:36:33 PM by Jem »