Author Topic: I'm not interested in your alternative therapy  (Read 4701 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
I'm not interested in your alternative therapy
« on: October 20, 2012, 10:30:05 AM »
Background: I have ADD.  I've had it most of my life.  It has become more pronounced since LK was born as the coping techniques I developed over the years don't really work anymore.

I was in a situation earlier this week visiting with some friends and acquaintances.  The subject of ADD came up (one of the women there has a child with ADD).  I brought up that I also have ADD and am working with the dr to find a therapy that will work and we've moved on to trying to find the right medication.  It's a trial and error process and a little frustrating.  I gave some of my experience on how ADD tends to affect you - how you process information and how it affects your decision making and daily activities, etc.

A little later when we were standing around, one acquaintance started talking to me about this product she uses that helps her memory and concentration. 

Having had numerous people try and sell me on this natural cure and that one for migraines, etc, I naturally tend towards skepticism over this sort of thing.  I think it probably showed on my face.  I said that I have tried natural things, but now is the time for a stronger course of action that I am working out with my doctor, but please send me the info by email so I can look it over.  I did not want to be completely dismissive, but the strength of her "this is the most amazing product ever" line made me feel like it was probably a direct-sell thing that she sells herself.

I got an email from her later apologizing if she was "too forward", but again extolling the virtues of this product.  She didn't email me the info, and once again, I got the direct sell vibe.  I sent her a message back saying that I wasn't offended by the suggestion (I wasn't) and explained where my hesitation comes from (so many friends/acquaintances who sell "miracle products" that don't really work, one acquaintance who has a product that he swears is a cure for cancer that "big pharmacy conspiracy" is keeping from the public, etc).  I told her that I would be happy to check it out if it was something I could get in a health food store, but that I am not interested in direct buy remedies at this time.

My exact phrasing in the email was: "I do believe in natural remedies and healthy eating as a solution to many health problems.  However, I am seeing a nutritionist right now, as well as my family dr.  I am not interested in trying anything that is a direct-buy product as a treatment plan.  But if this is something I can get at a healthfood store, let me know.  :)"

She emailed me back all gung-ho about this product with the link to her personal sales site.  Sure enough, it's direct buy.  How do I politely reply?  She's nice otherwise, but I am pretty sure I made it pretty clear that I am not interested in direct buy cures.  I would be happy to take a supplement that I can buy on my own terms without someone bugging me to buy more and more and more or without a big cash commitment.  Otherwise, this is something I am happy to discuss with people (I do find that being open about my experience is helpful to others going through the same thing with children or other friends/family), but I am also happily working on it with my physician.

Just Lori

• USA
Re: I'm not interested in your alternative therapy
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 10:34:50 AM »
"Thank you for your concern about my health.  I've decided to stick with the advice of my doctor and nutritionist.  I wish you well with your business."

CakeBeret

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 10:36:07 AM »
I would tell her, "Thanks for the info. I'll talk it over with my doctor."

Any subsequent time she brings it up, say "I've talked it over with my doctor, thanks for the suggestion." No mention of your intention (or not) to buy it from her.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:40:21 AM »
I just want to add that I would not try to justify your decision beyond a simple "I'm following the advice of my medical professional."  The companies that market these items have trained their distributors to answer just about any argument you might have for not buying, and a rational conversation is often an exercise in futility.

CharlieBraun

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 10:40:53 AM »
"thank you for your interest."
"We ate the pies."

SuperMartianRobotGirl

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 10:41:03 AM »
I have chronic migraines too and I get this as well. Annoying as heck. I usually say something like, "I am seeing a neurologist for my headaches and I'm not interested in trying alternative medicine." But I'll keep up on this thread in case I see some better ideas about how to handle it.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
"Thank you for the information" and then don't email back.  You thank her for sending you information but that doesn't mean you are going to purchase the product.  IMO, that effectively ends the conversation.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 02:36:09 PM »
"I will keep it in mind and let you know if my doctor recommends it."

Roses

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 02:39:42 PM »
"Thank you for your concern about my health.  I've decided to stick with the advice of my doctor and nutritionist.  I wish you well with your business."

This.

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 09:49:32 PM »
Only thing is, if you mention going by what your doctor recommends, you'll get the lecture about how mainstream medicine is all about supporting the big pharmaceutical companies, and that doctors aren't aware of the amazing miracle healing powers of this product because there is a big conspiracy out there to sweep it all under the rug. Yes, I've heard this kind of spiel too. It's not that I'm against any and all "alternative" therapies and I do believe there is a lot of value to some alternative approaches, but there is also a lot of bunk out there and in my experience, the MLM'ers are the worst offenders when it comes to bunk.

How about, "I've done my own research and decided to stick with what I'm currently using." Rinse, lather, repeat. Or do what I do, which is chicken out and say, "I'll take the brochure and I'll let you know if I'm interested." And then the brochure goes straight to the recycling bin and I avoid the person who is trying to sell from then on, ignoring emails on the subject as well.

mmswm

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 10:55:45 PM »
Only thing is, if you mention going by what your doctor recommends, you'll get the lecture about how mainstream medicine is all about supporting the big pharmaceutical companies, and that doctors aren't aware of the amazing miracle healing powers of this product because there is a big conspiracy out there to sweep it all under the rug. Yes, I've heard this kind of spiel too. It's not that I'm against any and all "alternative" therapies and I do believe there is a lot of value to some alternative approaches, but there is also a lot of bunk out there and in my experience, the MLM'ers are the worst offenders when it comes to bunk.

How about, "I've done my own research and decided to stick with what I'm currently using." Rinse, lather, repeat. Or do what I do, which is chicken out and say, "I'll take the brochure and I'll let you know if I'm interested." And then the brochure goes straight to the recycling bin and I avoid the person who is trying to sell from then on, ignoring emails on the subject as well.

This. I really like the part about having done one's own research.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
I developed an as-yet-undiagnosed malady this past January and it's amazing to me how many people are just sure they know how to cure it - even though they don't know what it is - with this, that, or the other so-called "natural remedy." Not one of the remedies offered so far has any scientific evidence supporting it and many don't even make sense. People keep telling me to avoid gluten, for example, even though I have none of the symptoms of gluten intolerance.

As others have suggested, saying that you're following the advice of your doctor may stop this sort of thing. I've taken to telling people that I rarely consider anything that doesn't have good, hard evidence behind it and hasn't been approved by the FDA.

Esan ozenki!

Arizona

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »

Oy, I've heard people say stuff like that too.  Both I and one of my sons has diagnosed ADD, and I wonder if my oldest might have it too. He was very organized when he was younger but has become a lot more scattered as he's gotten older.

Anyway, I used to be on meds myself till they caused me to lose too much weight, and middle son was on them too but he too complained about the side effects.  But when we were on meds, so many people said "Try this (very elaborate and restrictive and/or expensive natural diet) and all will be perfect!!!"  Sorry, I really like food and as it is I don't like to cook so the thought of making shopping and cooking even more complicated and laborious than I already felt about it? No thanks.   "Don't you think your son's mental health is worth it?" (aka guilt trip)  ::) Meanwhile I'm giving the nod and smile as I back away slowly.  I love my kid, which is why I find other ways to deal with things other than through complicated diets I know are impossible to stick to for their complexity and my love/hate relationship with the kitchen. (love baking, hate cooking)
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

O'Dell

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 12:04:47 AM »
Ignore her email. You already told her you aren't interested. There is no need for you to respond. Consider her emails on this topic to be spam.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

HonorH

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 12:10:24 AM »
My mom's been having to deal with this from one of her sisters, who's absolutely sure Dad's heart condition can be cured with South American cow stem cells or something. Fortunately, said aunt lives in South America part of the year, so she's not close enough to make a real pest of herself, but seriously. The last thing you want, when dealing with a serious medical situation, is someone coming and telling you that the Medical Establishment is out to keep you ill and take all your money.
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth