Author Topic: I'm not interested in your alternative therapy  (Read 4673 times)

LilacRosey

Re: I'm not interested in your alternative therapy
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 01:58:33 AM »
I'd thank her she probably doesn't know she's being annoying. Hopefully she will stop., lilacrosey

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 08:07:35 AM »
Thanks everyone.  As some folks have suggested, I will ignore her most recent email.  I tried to compose a reply, but given that she took my initial skepticism badly, I think any reply will end up not taken as I would hope it to be.  I strongly suspect that either "I'll think about it" or "I've decided to just work with my Dr and nutritionist" will not end the conversation but will keep the door open. 

I will be seeing this woman again this week (in a group).  I'll let you know how it goes then.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
Thanks everyone.  As some folks have suggested, I will ignore her most recent email.  I tried to compose a reply, but given that she took my initial skepticism badly, I think any reply will end up not taken as I would hope it to be.  I strongly suspect that either "I'll think about it" or "I've decided to just work with my Dr and nutritionist" will not end the conversation but will keep the door open. 

I will be seeing this woman again this week (in a group).  I'll let you know how it goes then.
You read my  mind, Knitterly.  I was going to say, if you do respond at all, don't leave a door open for her to put you on a prospects list. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

GreenBird

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »
If you reply, I'd just clearly decline:

"Thanks for the information, but I'm not interested."

Polite, clear, and doesn't leave the door open. 

nuit93

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »
Just tell her you already have professionals that you're working with on this, but appreciate her concern.

johelenc1

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 12:52:22 AM »
I agree with ignoring it.  You already gave her the information she needs (you don't like direct sells).  That's all she needs to go.

You will probably get a "did you get the email I sent you with the link to my web site?"

Then you can send the "thanks but I'm not interested" email.

Don't open the door until she knocks again.

wyliefool

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 09:51:30 AM »
Sternly: As I said, I'm not interested in direct marketing. Please don't ask me again.  :turn away:

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
...I avoid the person who is trying to sell from then on, ignoring emails on the subject as well.

I think this is a very appropriate action.

People *ought* to get this sort of response if they're using social situations for their own commercial purposes.

And I also agree w/ johelenc1: You gave her the info she needs. Ever after, just say, "thanks, but I'm not interested."

blueyzca01

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2012, 03:58:32 PM »
BG/  I have a similar problem.  Iíve had insomnia for about 17 years, and in those years Iíve tried every remedy I can think of:  OTC drugs, homoeopathic remedies, warm milk, no alcohol, baths before bed, praying to the God of Sleep, etc.  You name it, Iíve tried it.   Sadly but gratefully, Iíve found a drug that works and Iíve been sleeping through the night for the past couple of years.  (I say sadly because I am disappointed that Iíll have to rely on prescription drugs for the rest of my life.)  I cannot sleep without this medication.  /BG

I donít have a problem sharing my insomnia background with people who are currently suffering from it and ask about potential remedies.  HOWEVER, if a friend/acquaintance/relative says, ďOh blueyz, howís the sleeping going?  Have you tried X?  If not, you definitely should!   It would be so much better than having to rely on drugs!!Ē 

The first time itís said, I smile and patiently say, ďYes, Iím sure it works for some people.  But you name it, Iíve tried it, and Iím sticking with my meds, thank you.Ē  And I indicate thatís the end of the discussion. 

When she brings up again, Iíd reiterate once that Iím sure itís fine for some people, but youíre sticking with your Dr.   If she keeps harping on it, just walk away.  Sheís the one being rude, not you.
No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2012, 06:00:32 PM »
"Thank you for the information" and then don't email back.  You thank her for sending you information but that doesn't mean you are going to purchase the product.  IMO, that effectively ends the conversation.

As usual, Roe nails it.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2012, 01:05:06 PM »
I agree with ignoring the person. Bean dip any attempts to bring up her natural remedy.

I work with a woman who has tried every possible natural remedy for her two chronic health conditions, one of which I share. CW makes it very obvious which one is the current plan, and wants to tell all of us about it.

OP, I hope you find a treatment quickly.

mich3554

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »
"Thanks, my doctors have this under control".

Last year, I had the hellish experience of having not one but 2 infected hip prostheses.  For an infected prosthesis, the treatment is not easy - in fact, it's downright brutal.  The prosthesis is removed, many times the surgeon needs to break the bone holding it in.  An antibiotic impregnated spacer is put in and you go on IV antibiotics, which are put through a picc line installed in your arm.  After you are released from the hospital, home health becomes your contact for dosing yourself for another 10-12 weeks.   My first hip was removed last December, second one in March.  Each hip got the same treatment.

You would not believe how many people believed that copper bracelets would solve my problem.....or the number of people who believe that such draconian treatment could be averted by simply washing out the bacteria off the prosthesis.

So far, this has taken a year out of my life, roughly $750K in insurance costs.  God knows how much in my OOP costs, I've not had the courage to tally up the checks I've written, but suspect I'll have enough for a medical deduction this year as well.  Fortunately, I have good insurance, disability insurance, a boyfriend who walks on water....along with an orthopedic surgeon and an infectious disease doc who walk on water along with him.

It is infuriating to hear someone trivialize what was necessary to go though in order to eliminate infection and you just have to shut them down.  Quite simply, if they're not on your page, then cut 'em off.  You don't need the grief and you don't need someone second guessing the health professionals YOU have hired in order to deal with your health. 

JMHO

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2012, 06:45:48 PM »
My father in law wasted so much money and energy on this sort of garbage. He had multiple health problems, but could have managed those problems fairly well and had a decent quality of life if he had done the things the doctors advised (such as physical exercise). He refused. He. Wanted. A. Magic. Pill.

As he aged and his various conditions worsened, he became more susceptible to every snake oil salesman who came around. He got volumes of mail made to look like serious medical journals that spoke of mysterious studies conducted in China that would cure everything from acne to atherosclerosis. And he believed every word of it. He wasted so much money and complicated his own care by sometimes discontinuing his prescribed meds in favor of the junk he bought through the mail. At the time I worked for a medical school and he loved to "challenge" me, telling me how doctors deliberately keep people sick and hide true cures from patients just so they can make money, and would practically dare me to disagree.

Ultimately my BIL and I took matters into our own hands and started screening his mail so he wouldn't get the stuff anymore. We also took all the "supplements" away and disposed of them. I made some complaints to the FDA, for all the good it did. FIL wasn't happy, but he was truly becoming a danger to himself. We tried to get him to comply with drs orders, but only with limited sucess.

I do think there is a place for homeopathic/herbal medicine, but only in conjunction with allopathic medicine. And one should be careful about the sources of their supplements, as they are unregulated by the FDA and dosages can vary wildly from batch to batch.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!