Author Topic: Would you keep giving this company your business after this?  (Read 5192 times)

TealDragon

Would you keep giving this company your business after this?
« on: October 20, 2012, 11:59:29 AM »
This happened a few years ago, and I have not gone back to this chain of oil change shops since, but I was curious what others would have done in this situation.

DF and I were waiting for our oil to be changed. There was one other woman waiting in the lobby and an employee behind the desk. The TV was showing the news. A story came on about a social/political issue that is a very big part of my life, so I started to watch the TV. The other woman starting making sniffing and huffing noises and I looked over at her to see what was going on. She was glaring at the TV and when she noticed me looking at her, she started to say that she couldn't believe the nerve of CNN to put such garbage on the news and the whole world was going to hell in a handbasket because of this issue and how dare those people involved hold their opinions, etc. I really did not want to engage in any debate about it as it's kind of a personal issue, but I was pretty shocked that someone would say things like that among strangers, so I just raised my eyebrows and said "hmm" and went back to watching.

She continued on, saying crazier and more hateful things, so I finally said "Excuse me, but I'm trying to hear this." Then she accused me of being a supporter of this issue and started saying that all people involved deserved to die and other very disturbing and violent things. I admit, upon hearing that she thought I should die and how she'd like it to happen, I lost my temper and said "Yes, I am, and you are a vile waste of air." Throughout this, the guy behind the desk was just watching and occasionally kind of chuckling and would not meet my eye any of the times I looked at him. I went up to the counter and asked if they had started service on our car and was told no, so I went outside and told them to stop and that we would be leaving because the woman inside was saying hateful and violent things and had indirectly threatened to kill me over this political issue and the employee inside did nothing but watch and laugh at the situation, despite being able to hear what was being said. The guy I was speaking to at this point was the manager and he tried to convince us to stay and said he would have her leave immediately, but I told him that I was not interested in giving my money to an establishment that allowed customers to talk to other customers like that or that found humor in something like that. In the end, we did leave without getting our oil changed and went elsewhere.

How would you have handled that situation? Was it an overreaction on my part to leave and never go back?

diesel_darlin

Re: Would you keep giving this company your business after this?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »
I would have handled it the same.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:09:41 PM »
wait, she was a customer?  If she was I think you did overreact. I suppose he could have changed the channel but that would have been giving into her and there is no certainty she would have stopped.  Trying to make her stop her tirade probably wouldn't have worked,especially if they were working on her car because it would have been hard to demand she leave. Saying anything to somebody that nuts might just amp them up.  Your saying something certainly didn't cause her to pull back, I'm not sure why you'd think he would get different results.

If the weather was nice enough I might have stepped out to get away or even to let the manager know there was a situation that might benefit from his attention. 

NyaChan

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 12:17:39 PM »
I think you overreacted to the woman.  You shouldn't have responded to her huffing in the first place - it was a political issue & people are entitled to an opinion.  Once you looked at her, you pretty much were either giving a silent "shush" or inviting her to explain her displeasure, basically the crazy had been activated (yes, she was rude).  You then made it clear that you didn't agree with her and essentially drew yourself into a heated political discussion.  I think it would have been better to step away or try to end the discussion.  Aside from changing the channel, what was the employee supposed to do?  If he had asked either of you to leave, I would have thought he was choosing sides on the issue and that, IMO is inappropriate.

TealDragon

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
I looked over because it sounded at first like she was crying and my natural inclination would be to ask if she was ok. I don't really know of anyone who wouldn't look around for the source of a sudden strange noise in a room. I certainly understand that people are entitled to their opinions, I would never suggest otherwise. I really thought by giving her a non-answer at first and then saying that I was trying to hear the TV, that would indicate that it wasn't up for discussion, but clearly was wrong about that.

I suppose what I would have liked from the employee was less laughter, and perhaps for him to jump in and say something like "Maybe we could tone this down a bit" or "If you continue to threaten people, I will have to ask you to leave" or even get the manager to let him know there was a situation going on. Sometimes an "official" voice really goes a long way in getting people to realize they're being inappropriate. I'm not the sort of person who would ever get in a physical altercation, but if I was, it easily could have escalated to a violent and dangerous scenario. I've seen people get in fights over much less.

And I did step outside and let the manager know. His only concern seemed to be to get us to stay and spend money, not to apologize for how the employee handled it or anything else, so I left and now I don't go back there.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »
I think you were expecting a bit much from the cashier guy. I doubt they are given much training in conflict avoidance. No doubt the laughter was in reaction to the awkwardness of the situation.

I probably just would have stepped outside.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
I really don't know what the Chain of Shops had to do with it. Yes, I would go back if my other experiences with the work and product quality were to my satisfaction.

The counter guy was just a person who probably didn't have training in that sort of thing - how can you train for that?

The other woman was just another customer.

Ignore, take a walk or ask to turn it off; then the same thing will be repeated on your home TV soon if it is a network. Or, if it is that an important an issue, it will certainly be discussed many times elsewhere.

I agree that you overreacted to the woman and are unreasonable in blaming the shop.

Sorry to be blunt. I have strong feelings about certain issues and have trouble even understanding how others cannot see my point, but I have learned that confrontation will get me nowhere and sometimes it is REALLY  hard to ignore.

OK. I read your repost. I am still sending mine. Two Ravens is clear and concise.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »
I think he was laughing out of nervousness and disbelief, not because he found genuine pleasure from her behavior. 

As far as threatening people, what she said was horrible and disturbing but it doesn't sound like she was saying she intended to hurt anybody then and there as far as I can tell.

When you spoke to the manager it was to say you were leaving and not coming back, correct? That doesn't really give him much of a chance to address it. If you had stepped out and spoken to him instead of confronting the other customer things might have been handled in a way that met your approval.

CakeBeret

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
I think you were expecting a bit much from the cashier guy. I doubt they are given much training in conflict avoidance. No doubt the laughter was in reaction to the awkwardness of the situation.

I agree with this. The situation was undoubtedly awful, but expecting the cashier to step in and diffuse the situation without any prompting is a bit much. If you wanted help from the establishment, you should have asked for a manager.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 02:28:32 PM »
It could be that the cashier was uncomfortably laughing...perhaps they should have gotten a manager if the discussion was getting too animated.

demarco

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 10:11:35 PM »

I agree. It's never a good idea to get into a hissing match with an excited stranger.  Anything can happen and I don't think it's reasonable to expect a cashier to intervene. 

MyFamily

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »
You totally and completely over-reacted.  Yes, the woman was rude, and it would have been nice if the cashier had said something, but he was in a very bad position - if he'd said something to her, than she would have complained about him; since he didn't say something to her you complained about him.  Seriously, how could he, the innocent party, have come out of this without being the bad guy? So he didn't say anything.  As others said he could have laughed because he was nervous and didn't know what to do.  He could have been laughing because he thought she was a lunatic and he finds lunatics funny.  He could have agreed with her and he was enjoying you being told what he views as the truth. 

I'm also pretty appalled that you are now boycotting an entire chain because of one employee's actions and you didn't give the chain or even that location a chance to make it better. 

So, yes, you absolutely could have handled this better.

"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

CinnamonGirl

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 12:19:45 AM »
What did you expect the cashier to do? He probably didn't want to engage the crazy and I don't blame him! Maybe he could have called a manager, but I doubt he would have kicked her out if she was waiting for her car. Boycotting an entire chain for something that wasn't his fault is a major over reaction.

Style_and_Grace

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »
You totally and completely over-reacted.  Yes, the woman was rude, and it would have been nice if the cashier had said something, but he was in a very bad position - if he'd said something to her, than she would have complained about him; since he didn't say something to her you complained about him.  Seriously, how could he, the innocent party, have come out of this without being the bad guy? So he didn't say anything.  As others said he could have laughed because he was nervous and didn't know what to do.  He could have been laughing because he thought she was a lunatic and he finds lunatics funny.  He could have agreed with her and he was enjoying you being told what he views as the truth. 

I'm also pretty appalled that you are now boycotting an entire chain because of one employee's actions and you didn't give the chain or even that location a chance to make it better. 

So, yes, you absolutely could have handled this better.

I think this post says it all! 

And isn't there some phrase about "not engaging the crazy."  The reaction you had to her was flat out engaging the crazy.  The poor innocent clerk was doing a better job of not engaging the crazy than you were. 

LilacRosey

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 01:55:59 AM »
I wouldn't go back that seems really bad to me if I think about it. Really bad., l.ilacrose