Author Topic: Would you keep giving this company your business after this?  (Read 5125 times)

Unusual Banana

Re: Would you keep giving this company your business after this?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
Yes, I think it was an overreaction to avoid an entire chain of shops because of this. I really don't think it would have been a good idea for the employee to say something to the woman because you didn't ask him to and for all he knew you could have been her friend and/or another crazy person and you could have both turned on him. As others have mentioned he was probably just laughing because he was nervous and uncomfortable and didn't know what to do.

I would have given them a proper chance to deal with the other customer by asking the guy at the desk to get the manager when he didn't do that himself.

mindicherry

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 11:29:23 PM »
How is this:

I admit, upon hearing that she thought I should die and how she'd like it to happen, I lost my temper and said "Yes, I am, and you are a vile waste of air."

any worse than the things that she was saying?

You are boycotting an entire chain because there was a rude and horrible customer and the $7/hour cashier didn't act as your Knight In Shining Armour?  I think it is clear that (after you engaged the crazy), his changing the channel wasn't going to stop your convo.

An icy "that's your opinion" and then a refusal of any further interaction would have been best.  She can continue to spout whatever hateful ideas (as you think) that she may have.  If nobody is responding to her, it just makes HER look like the nutjob.

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2012, 01:20:32 AM »
If you had asked the cashier to change the channel as soon as she started, and he refused, I could understand your annoyance. You asked the woman to quiet down, you are trying to listen. That's a clear indicator you were not only not interested in the channel bring changed, but you in essence, encouraged her to continue her tirade. Yes she was rude, but calling her a vile waste of air makes you rude as well. I don't see how this was in any way the establishments fault. The woman that has no affiliation to the place offended you. How is that their fault? In this rough political climate, I'm not stepping into the middle if an obviously volatile situation unless it became violent. Physically.
The cashier should have gotten a manager to cool the situation perhaps, but you could have removed yourself from the situation instead of exacerbating it.

Loruaus

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 05:56:34 AM »
Wow. Jump on the OP.

I too would have left and refused to go back. Bycott the entire chain, probably not - this sounded like a location and employee issue and not a company wide one.

But to sum up events the other customer (OC)
   OC huffed and puffed
   OP looked over
   OC opened her mouth and exploded crazy
   OP did not engage the crazy and beandipped (both Ettiquitte Hell approved methods)
   OC continued with the crazy ranting
   OP asked OC to quit down (sounds like she asked politely)
   OC then turns her bile to the OP, talking in a threatening manner and being very personal, loud, confrontational and irrational.
   Employee ignores what is going on and actively laughs at the confrontation making no move to intervene or get the manager - no where did the OP state that the laugh was nervous or a chuckle, to say so would come under the interesting assumption banner. (OP please clarify wether you felt the employee was laughing out of nerves or if you felt he found the situation amusing)
   OP finally got sick of being threatened and abused, so asked about her cars status.
   OP then went out to get car and spoke to the manager (whom OP states could hear the comotion but did not come in) and told him she was leaving and why.
   The manager offered to take care of crazy lady, OP lets him know that it is no longer good enough and should have been taken care of when he heard it start. Manager does not address the fact employee made absolutley no effort towards ending the situation but did apparently did find it humurous enough to laugh about.

The cashere allowed one of his customers to be abused and given death threats in front of him without any action. What would you expect him to do? He had various options available to him and chose instead to ignore and laugh.

1. Tell OC to stop.
2. Get manager - the I dont get paid enough to deal with this option.
4. Fire staples at her and make pew pew noises - well maybe not this one.

If OC had started this tirade towards the OP on an aeroplane she would have found herself in much deeper water than being asked to leave. (Though being asked to leave a place at 30 000ft is pretty bad!)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 06:01:27 AM by Loruaus »

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »
I also don't quite understand why you are boycotting an entire chain. 

And once the manager heard your complaint,  he said he'd ask the rude lady to leave. Yet, that still wasn't good enough for you so I don't know what else you expected him to do.

I can almost bet the cashier felt put in an awkward situation.  They aren't trained to handle things like that but he should've gotten the manager when you both started arguing.  (and yes, you were as rude as the lady) 

At any rate, the manager offered to ask her to leave and instead you left in a huff.  IMO, you were already so angered that no matter what manager offered, it probably wasn't going to cut it.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »
I think you were expecting a bit much from the cashier guy. I doubt they are given much training in conflict avoidance. No doubt the laughter was in reaction to the awkwardness of the situation.

I probably just would have stepped outside.

I agree.  If you asked directly for the cashier to turn up the TV or ask for assistance, then I can understand slightly.  But I too would have just stepped outside and waited for the car.  The shop isn't responsible for customers and what they say.  And the cashier probably thought she was an irrational troll and couldn't believe that she was actually saying that.

Hijinks

• Super Hero!
    • Maitri Bath & Body
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 10:04:59 AM »
Was the cashier supposed to say, "Play nice kids" or something?  I can't imagine anything he could have said would have defused the situation.

Also, IMO, "people that believe X should die" /=/ "I am going to kill you"

Girly

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 11:43:27 AM »
Sorry, but I also agree with the majority of the posters here, in that you overreacted, and the cashier didn't do anything wrong.

We are adults, and presumably can take care of ourselves. I don't expect a business to be responsible for what other patrons say to me, because I realize they have just as much control over other people, as they have over my actions... which is none.

Just out of curiosity.... what exactly did you expect the kid behind the counter or the manager to do?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
Sorry, but I also agree with the majority of the posters here, in that you overreacted, and the cashier didn't do anything wrong.

We are adults, and presumably can take care of ourselves. I don't expect a business to be responsible for what other patrons say to me, because I realize they have just as much control over other people, as they have over my actions... which is none.

Just out of curiosity.... what exactly did you expect the kid behind the counter or the manager to do?

I believe OP has indicated she expected the cashier to interpret the comments as threats and tell the customer to stop threatening people.  I think that would just feed the drama llama.  Since they might have been working on the customer's car even asking her to leave could be a bit more dicey than some other type of establishment.

TealDragon

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 11:48:10 AM »
You totally and completely over-reacted.  Yes, the woman was rude, and it would have been nice if the cashier had said something, but he was in a very bad position - if he'd said something to her, than she would have complained about him; since he didn't say something to her you complained about him.  Seriously, how could he, the innocent party, have come out of this without being the bad guy? So he didn't say anything.  As others said he could have laughed because he was nervous and didn't know what to do.  He could have been laughing because he thought she was a lunatic and he finds lunatics funny.  He could have agreed with her and he was enjoying you being told what he views as the truth. 

I'm also pretty appalled that you are now boycotting an entire chain because of one employee's actions and you didn't give the chain or even that location a chance to make it better. 

So, yes, you absolutely could have handled this better.

I think the bolded is really a bit of a strong reaction to my post...I did inform the manager, and I didn't like the way that he responded. He seemed disinterested and irritated with me for being upset, his only solution that he offered was to finish up on her car quickly and then start on ours, which is nothing more than normal service in my eyes. Also, I've had several minor issues with this chain at other locations and the new auto shop that I found because I left there is much cheaper and closer to my house and I like the employees there very much, so there would be absolutely no reason for me to ever go back to someplace where I've been continually dissatisfied.

You totally and completely over-reacted.  Yes, the woman was rude, and it would have been nice if the cashier had said something, but he was in a very bad position - if he'd said something to her, than she would have complained about him; since he didn't say something to her you complained about him.  Seriously, how could he, the innocent party, have come out of this without being the bad guy? So he didn't say anything.  As others said he could have laughed because he was nervous and didn't know what to do.  He could have been laughing because he thought she was a lunatic and he finds lunatics funny.  He could have agreed with her and he was enjoying you being told what he views as the truth. 

I'm also pretty appalled that you are now boycotting an entire chain because of one employee's actions and you didn't give the chain or even that location a chance to make it better. 

So, yes, you absolutely could have handled this better.

I think this post says it all! 

And isn't there some phrase about "not engaging the crazy."  The reaction you had to her was flat out engaging the crazy.  The poor innocent clerk was doing a better job of not engaging the crazy than you were.

I honestly don't understand how I was engaging the crazy with my initial reaction. There was no way for me to know that simply looking over to make sure a person wasn't crying would unleash that, and I was truly trying to disengage from her with my responses.

How is this:

I admit, upon hearing that she thought I should die and how she'd like it to happen, I lost my temper and said "Yes, I am, and you are a vile waste of air."

any worse than the things that she was saying?

You are boycotting an entire chain because there was a rude and horrible customer and the $7/hour cashier didn't act as your Knight In Shining Armour?  I think it is clear that (after you engaged the crazy), his changing the channel wasn't going to stop your convo.

An icy "that's your opinion" and then a refusal of any further interaction would have been best.  She can continue to spout whatever hateful ideas (as you think) that she may have.  If nobody is responding to her, it just makes HER look like the nutjob.

I wasn't asking for a "knight in shining armor", I simply am of the opinion that if someone is yelling at another person and making threatening remarks and the situation could very easily escalate to violence,  it would be most appropriate to inform a manager of the situation. I just don't think that's an unreasonable expectation.

I also don't quite understand why you are boycotting an entire chain. 

And once the manager heard your complaint,  he said he'd ask the rude lady to leave. Yet, that still wasn't good enough for you so I don't know what else you expected him to do.

I can almost bet the cashier felt put in an awkward situation.  They aren't trained to handle things like that but he should've gotten the manager when you both started arguing.  (and yes, you were as rude as the lady) 

At any rate, the manager offered to ask her to leave and instead you left in a huff.  IMO, you were already so angered that no matter what manager offered, it probably wasn't going to cut it.

I wasn't very clear in my OP, I apologize. He didn't say he would ask her to leave, he said he'd finish her car up quickly and then start mine. However, in a store that specifically advertises oil changes in a certain amount of time when we'd already been waiting for just about that amount of time, I don't consider this to be offering anything other than normal service. Had the manager had a different attitude with me or offered anything else, such as a discount or coupon for next time or even an apology, I would have at least considered staying.

Was the cashier supposed to say, "Play nice kids" or something?  I can't imagine anything he could have said would have defused the situation.

Also, IMO, "people that believe X should die" /=/ "I am going to kill you"

I agree, "people that believe X should die" /=/ "I am going to kill you", but that wasn't what was said. I don't think the exact words are at all appropriate to post here, but if anyone is very curious, feel free to PM me and I will clarify for you. What she said was more along the lines of "I think all people involved with X should be (violent actions). They're all evil people and I'd love to get my hands on one of them and give them what they deserve" which escalated into "You're one of them and you deserve to (have graphic and violent things) done to you."  The specific issue is something very personal and emotional, and the fact that she did specifically say that I should have these things happen to me, well, it was very hard to listen to. I fully admit that I lost my temper and should not have made that final comment and it was a terrible thing to say, I should have just gone outside, but no one is perfect. Can any of you say that you've never had a strong emotional reaction and said something you shouldn't have?

As for whether the cashier was laughing nervously, I really don't know, although I would say that it is certainly possible. However, I still think it was inappropriate and if he couldn't control it, he should have stepped outside to get the manager because to me, uncontrollable nervous laughter indicates that he is aware of a bad situation and is just ignoring it, especially when he would very pointedly look away every time I tried to look at him. It was very noticeable and seemed to egg on the other customer.

Girly

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »
I guess I don't understand how can she leave if they are in the middle of working on her car? Or, why she is the one that has to leave the waiting area? If you don't like what she is saying, why can't you be the one to leave and wait elsewhere?

In any event.... It's certainly your right to not go back to the company, especially if you disagree with the way they treated you.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2012, 12:21:08 PM »
Leaving a potentially unstable customer in inside while he got the manager actually sounds like a bad idea.  Once again, that seems like something you would have been wise to do.  He probably has to stay inside, especially if there is a cash drawer to be manned or something and even more so when somebody is insider ranting.

And having her leave before her car is done is not an option.

Honestly, it seems like you wanted the impossible.

Docslady21

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2012, 01:00:35 PM »
This happened a few years ago, and I have not gone back to this chain of oil change shops since, but I was curious what others would have done in this situation.

DF and I were waiting for our oil to be changed. There was one other woman waiting in the lobby and an employee behind the desk. The TV was showing the news. A story came on about a social/political issue that is a very big part of my life, so I started to watch the TV. The other woman starting making sniffing and huffing noises and I looked over at her to see what was going on. She was glaring at the TV and when she noticed me looking at her, she started to say that she couldn't believe the nerve of CNN to put such garbage on the news and the whole world was going to hell in a handbasket because of this issue and how dare those people involved hold their opinions, etc. I really did not want to engage in any debate about it as it's kind of a personal issue, but I was pretty shocked that someone would say things like that among strangers, so I just raised my eyebrows and said "hmm" and went back to watching.

She continued on, saying crazier and more hateful things, so I finally said "Excuse me, but I'm trying to hear this." Then she accused me of being a supporter of this issue and started saying that all people involved deserved to die and other very disturbing and violent things. I admit, upon hearing that she thought I should die and how she'd like it to happen, I lost my temper and said "Yes, I am, and you are a vile waste of air." Throughout this, the guy behind the desk was just watching and occasionally kind of chuckling and would not meet my eye any of the times I looked at him. I went up to the counter and asked if they had started service on our car and was told no, so I went outside and told them to stop and that we would be leaving because the woman inside was saying hateful and violent things and had indirectly threatened to kill me over this political issue and the employee inside did nothing but watch and laugh at the situation, despite being able to hear what was being said. The guy I was speaking to at this point was the manager and he tried to convince us to stay and said he would have her leave immediately, but I told him that I was not interested in giving my money to an establishment that allowed customers to talk to other customers like that or that found humor in something like that. In the end, we did leave without getting our oil changed and went elsewhere.

How would you have handled that situation? Was it an overreaction on my part to leave and never go back?

I think you are upset with the wrong people.

I don't think they pay that poor guy enough to touch this situation with a 50-foot pole. He probably had no earthly idea how to handle  two customers having a political squabble. He was likely as tongue-tied as you were. You would like a pass for your angry response, but you can't give the cashier a pass for not knowing what the heck to do? You admit you handled it poorly, but you can't extend the same graciousness to the cashier? He's just a person, like you, trying to get by with what he knows at the time. Wanting to get him in trouble with management for not handling a situation that you also could not handle, seems mean-spirited. All my customer service training in life never prepared me for 80% of what I encountered from customers. No exaggeration. It seems that customer service is all about hindsight, learning what to do after you experience something you were never trained for. I would have had no idea how to stop the situation, probably would have sat there praying you both stopped talking or realized you needed to separate while uncomfortable anxiety churned in my stomach.

Also, the manager couldn't very well have just driven her car off the lift in mid-change. His business could be sued if her car breaks because he didn't complete the change properly. He had to finish it. He can't control that woman. He can't make her not speak to you. If you were concerned about her threats, you should have called the police.

Edited for clarity.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:09:31 PM by Docslady21 »

audrey1962

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »
How would you have handled that situation? Was it an overreaction on my part to leave and never go back?

To answer your questions:
I would not have "engaged the crazy." Specifically, you said:

She continued on, saying crazier and more hateful things, so I finally said "Excuse me, but I'm trying to hear this."

I would not have said anything. I would either ignore the woman, get up to use the restroom, or step outside.

ettiquit

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2012, 01:39:14 PM »
The problem is that you never actually asked anyone to help diffuse the situation.  The cashier probably assumed that two grown women could have a political squabble without it resulting in blows, so I'm not sure what his responsibility is here.  It's the waiting room of an auto shop, not a kindergarten class.  Unfortunately, your retaliatory rudeness (though I understand it!) kind of made it impossible to classify you as the victim.

I'm also not sure what the mgr. was supposed to do if they were in the middle of working on her car. 

It's definitely a shame that this happened, and it always boggles my mind when someone who feels very strongly about an issue will voice their opinion that dramatically without knowing how other people in the room feel.