Author Topic: Glass vs. plastic . . . food storage  (Read 1837 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
Glass vs. plastic . . . food storage
« on: October 20, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
I'm harvesting our horseradish today (well, DD#1 is doing most of the work ;D) and since our big party has been postponed, I'm looking for the best way to keep this stuff as fresh as possible for about a month or more.

I do have two standard sized glass mayo jars that I will use today for storage, but for gifting which would be better? Glass or plastic?

Seeing that I was "yelled" at ;) last year for buying baby food just for the jars, I'm looking at alternatives. I thought about the smallest Glad-type plastic containers or something like this:

http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=535632&cm_ven=none&cm_cat=none&cm_pla=none&orderType=none&utm_source=none&utm_medium=none&utm_campaign=none

Then DD#1 asked "Wouldn't glass be better? Doesn't it keep the food fresher longer?

So, now I'm stumped. Is there a benefit with glass containers? Or will plastic work just as well?

Girlie

Re: Glass vs. plastic . . . food storage
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 03:25:13 PM »
I don't know about keeping food fresher, but I prefer glass for things that have strong smells (like horseradish) because it tends to be easier to clean than even the best plastic storage containers. Plus, less staining and better shape retention.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 03:33:04 PM »
I think the baby food jars are perfect!  Just plan ahead and post on Freecycle or Craigslist to see if you can get them free/cheap.

Little Gladware containers would be fine, too.  The potential for the smell permeating the plastic isn't a huge concern because they are meant to be disposable.  A lot of us are thrifty and like to reuse Gladware containers but I could live with throwing out a stinky or stained one.

I don't think the horseradish would keep better in glass over plastic - I think those decisions are made more on whether or not the ingredients can affect the integrity of the container from a manufacturing standpoint.  Products that are highly acidic or are bottled hot go in glass, other stuff goes in plastic.  What I would do with the plastic, though, is 'burp' them.  With true Tupperware, as you are closing the container, you press down on the middle of the lid to push out as much air as possible and then seal it up tight.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 03:37:51 PM »
I think glass is nice for gifts -- I have some tiny canning jars (from Ball) that hold approx. 4 ounces.

buvezdevin

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
I prefer glass, but also use plastic.  The 4 ounce jelly jars from Ball that Flydell mentioned would be great, below is link to Walmart, and Amazon has them also:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ball-12-Count-4-Ounce-Jelly-Jars-with-Lids-and-Bands/21290190
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Vall

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »
My job involves making plastic so I try to use glass with all of my food items.  That's just a personal bias due to knowing the chemicals in plastic.  Glass is not permeable by humidity and gasses while most plastics are permeable.

For long term storage, I'd definitely use glass.  I store tobacco (short term).  Tobacco acts like a sponge to the air/environment around it.  Many pipe smokers who routinely store tobacco to age(long term storage) swear by glass and won't consider plastic.  I don't smoke pipe tobacco but I trust the judgement of those who seriously have that hobby.

I know that horseradish is more likely to give off scents than to absorb them, but I'd still want the comfort of knowing food things are stored in glass.

The little Ball jars sound great.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »
I love the little Ball jars!  Also thought these http://weckjars.com/ were cute.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 07:10:20 PM »
I love the little Ball jars!  Also thought these http://weckjars.com/ were cute.

Wait! Stop! Can we get these jars in 2 or 4 oz sizes?

My life it complete if we can!

It looks like the 4 oz jars ar $2 or more a piece.

I would go with plastic stuff. Sorry! (As you have heard hundreds of times before : How do I get on your mailing list?)

The plasic will work just fine if you think the recipients are using it within a year. I did find 4 oz canning jars sometime, but I can't remember when or where - I used them for canning super duper hot boiled down jalopena + habernaro sauce. Even my brother gagged.
(Our eyes burned for 2 days while the stove fan was on.)

PS I am from the E St Louis area - the largest home of horseradish in the world at the time. My brother worked in the fields during his last years of high school.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 07:46:12 PM by Luci45 »

Amara

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 07:36:33 PM »
Plastic is banned at my house. I used the canning jars of all sizes to store everything. They ensure that it stays fresher longer--my experience is that things, especially cut-up lettuce for salads--do, and they are air tight so there are no worries about ants. In addition, as someone above mentioned, they don't retain odors.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 08:17:04 PM »

I would go with plastic stuff. Sorry! (As you have heard hundreds of times before : How do I get on your mailing list?)

The plasic will work just fine if you think the recipients are using it within a year. I did find 4 oz canning jars sometime, but I can't remember when or where - I used them for canning super duper hot boiled down jalopena + habernaro sauce. Even my brother gagged.

PS I am from the E St Louis area - the largest home of horseradish in the world at the time. My brother worked in the fields during his last years of high school.

The Weck jars are definitely for occasions when you want the container to be part of the gift.  And that hot sauce sounds great!

dawnfire

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 08:19:33 PM »
I would go with glass. I'd second the idea on posting on freecycle, as a parent i know I went through alot of jars when my son was younger (2-4 a day, 7 days a week,it adds up).

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »
I vote with Dawnfire in favor of freecycle.  And glass.

A point about plastic jars:  A few years ago a client of mine used both and my (then) boss picked up a plastic one because of the weight.  After it sat a few months on a shelf in her apartment (unopened) she noticed that the oil in the product had seeped through the bottom of the jar.

TiredMum

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 09:43:55 PM »
There is a glass jar wholesaler in our city who will sell a minimum amount to individuals.  I usually go halves with a friend as they have a massive range of glass and plastic jars with lids.

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
Glass! I use glass mason jars, re-use mustard jars, etc. Plastic absorbs smells and leaches chemicals.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 10:41:20 PM »

The Weck jars are definitely for occasions when you want the container to be part of the gift.  And that hot sauce sounds great!

US measurements

Here you go:

72 red hot peppers (we used very ripe jalopena for most of the sauce and habanero for about 1/4 of it)
2 cloves garlic
2 T sugar
1 t salt
4 t grated horseradish
2 c water
2 c vinegar

Peel and mince garlic. Wash peppers and combine with garlic. Place in saucepan with water. Cover. Cook until very tender. Press through sieve. Add other ingredients to pureed product. Cook until well blended and thickened. Pour into Kerr jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Put on cap, screw firmly tight. Process in poinling water bath 10 minutes. Makes 1 halp-pint.

Kerr Home Canning and Freezing Book  c 1982 by Kerr Glass Mfg Co.

As I remember, I kept 2 oz and gave 2 oz to my brother. I used empty peminto jars and just kept them cold - we figured anything that could live through that much capsaicin deserved to live. Brother and I lived, too. The rest of the family ran. I made a larger batch another time, but can't remember if I properly canned it or not. I probably froze it, but canned hot salsa a lot in half pints and gave it and wild raspberry jelly for Christmas gifts.

I am presuming you know the precautions to take when working with peppers of that heat!