Author Topic: Roomates leaving... I hope  (Read 1913 times)

TurnJuniper

Roomates leaving... I hope
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
Last year I told the story of my roommates, John and Jane, getting married and how my being left out of pretty much everything killed my friendship with my best friend of ten years. You can find it here -

http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=105669.0

Well, it's a year later and our friendship never recovered, although we kept civil. No grudges held... I just accepted it and moved on. But now I've decided to sell my house to my brother, who is having his second child and whose current lease is ending. That means that the roommies will have to be moving out, of course. The deadline is the middle of December, so I gave them notice back in mid September. So, three months notice. I figured that was reasonable.

Today I got the firm deadline of Dec 12, and let John know. His response was "Well, we don't know if we'll be able to get an apartment by then, so that's probably not happening."

Remembering my Ehell lessons, I stayed firm and said "No, that's the deadline. My brother's lease will be up then, he needs to move in."

John got angry and said that my family could "suck it", among other things. But I stayed firm and told him no, this is what is happening. He got furious. He yelled and cussed in my face, insulted my family and me, claimed two months was not fair notice (he's counting it from now since now is when I have a definite date), and mentioned squatters rights.

Although I stayed firm in front of him, I'm shaking writing this. I don't know what to do. He really scared me blowing up like that. My questions for the board are -

- Is 2-3 months notice reasonable? We have no contract.
- What do I do if they can't get a new place? Can he invoke squatters rights?
- If I need to document giving notice, how should I go about it?
- Should I tell him not to behave like that to me, or is that risking more wrath?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
Re: Roomates leaving... I hope
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 04:47:37 PM »
I won't touch on the legal stuff, other than to suggest you make sure you put the two months' notice in writing (which you'll need to look up the best way to do so it's legally enforceable).  I would also suggest you make sure they're out at least a week before your brother *needs* to move in, because that way a) you have time to get the place thoroughly cleaned, and b) if they refuse to move in time, you'll have a bit of a buffer.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 04:48:53 PM »
Yikes!
I don't think the amount of notice you gave is it all unreasonable considering you have no lease/legal contract.
No idea about squatter's rights - I'd check in with the local police station and see if they can help, and hope that if they can't they can point you in the right direction to talk to someone. Hopefully they can help about the written notice, as well. Honestly since there's no contract I don't see how John and Jane have any legal right to stay, but the law can be complicated.
I'd tell him that if he can't behave in a civil manner, you'll be phoning the police and requiring that he and Jane move out immediately instead of before 12 Dec.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:46 PM »
Speak to a lawyer, so you make sure you do things properly.
NE England

yokozbornak

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 04:57:53 PM »
I would actually up the date to as soon as it's legally possible and get them the heck out of there. They sound like nightmares to deal with.

Iris

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »
I would actually up the date to as soon as it's legally possible and get them the heck out of there. They sound like nightmares to deal with.

This. Time to talk to a lawyer, I think, and get them out of there asap.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 05:08:38 PM »
Until they're gone, I'd lock away anything I didn't want stolen or destroyed.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
I agree with the advice you've gotten, especially the lawyer part and keeping your valuables locked up.  I just want to add, though, that should John approach you like that again, refuse to listen to it.  You don't need to stand there and let him yell at you; calmly walk away and refuse to let him talk to you like that.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

cass2591

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 05:29:00 PM »
This is a legal issue, so I'm locking the thread. Good luck. And if you think there's a possibility that they will be less than civil, IE vandalize or steal things, discuss that with the attorney also to cover your bases.
There is no pie in Nighthawks, which is why it's such a desolate image. ~ Happy Stomach

I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened. ~ Mark Twain

Adopting a pet won't change the world, but it will change the world for that pet.