Author Topic: Flower girl resumes update pg. 5  (Read 13687 times)

Viscountess

Flower girl resumes update pg. 5
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:07:22 PM »
BG:  I work at a small private school where some of the parents tend to be very competitive with each other when it comes to their children.  End BG.  Two days ago, my coworker (Karen) told us that she's engaged.  Word spread quickly around the school via teachers and students who noticed her ring.  Everyone was really happy for her and parents started congratulating her when they picked up their kids.  Yesterday morning, Karen arrived at work to find 4 resumes her office mailbox.  All of them were resumes that stated how these students would be able to perform efficiently as Karen's flower girl.  The resumes varied from how many times a certain student was a flower girl to very detailed layout on how well a student performed in her flower girl duties.  By that afternoon, two of the mothers who gave a resume began bickering over whose daughter would be the better flower girl.  Karen stepped in, thanked them for their interest and said she wasn't planning on having a flower girl at this time.

Today, Karen texted me that she received 3 more emails from parents expressing interest in their daughters becoming her flower girl.  One even asked if there was an interviewing process.  Karen is at such a loss at what to do and doesn't know how to approach this situation.  Personally, I have never seen resumes for a bridal party position before, and my mind is boggling at these parents' antics.  Any advice for Karen would be most appreciated. 

« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 09:48:51 PM by Lady Stein »
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."

auntmeegs

Re: Flower girl resumes
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:16:47 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS! that hilarious!  A flower girl resume!  Those mothers are insane and rude on top of it.  I think the only thing you friend can do is keep repeating that she is not planning on having a flower girl in her wedding.  Other than that, I don't know.  Can't wait to hear how this one pans out though!
A flower girl resume!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:17:38 PM »
kinda curious, is this private school affiliated with a church and is so will Karen be getting married in the school's church?

I ask because I imagine the following scenario  - Karen (and you teach at St. Sebastian's.  Karen naturally wants to get married at St Sebastian's church because she knows the priest/pastor, attends services there, etc. Not only do parents try to get their kids chosen as flower girl, the try to maneuver them to be acolytes, cantors, etc.  Because church services, even weddings, are frequently open to the congregation they and their kids show up to see the service and maybe make sure there really is no flower girl ...

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:22:22 PM »
WHAT???? That is the craziest thing I have heard!

OK, no it's not, but it rates.

Aside from discreetly spreading the word that she will NOT be having a student as a flower girl (or no flower girl at all, whichever she prefers), I'm not really sure what to do here. I've heard of people begging, demanding, or  simply asking to be part of a wedding party - even trying to bully their way in - but I have never heard of submitting a resume as though it were a professional gig!
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MerryCat

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:22:29 PM »
That is CRAZY! I mean, I can understand being competitive about preschools. That might theoretically make a difference to a person's success.

But what advantages do the parents think their child will get by being a flower girl to a relative stranger? Are they going to put on their college applications "Flower Girl at more than 7 different weddings before the age of 10?" Do they think their daughters are getting a leg up into the glamorous, cut-throat word of professional bridesmaid-ing? It's a really strange thing to be so intense about, but I guess as long as they're willing to take no for an answer it's okay.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 09:25:04 PM »
That is CRAZY! I mean, I can understand being competitive about preschools. That might theoretically make a difference to a person's success.

But what advantages do the parents think their child will get by being a flower girl to a relative stranger? Are they going to put on their college applications "Flower Girl at more than 7 different weddings before the age of 10?" Do they think their daughters are getting a leg up into the glamorous, cut-throat word of professional bridesmaid-ing? It's a really strange thing to be so intense about, but I guess as long as they're willing to take no for an answer it's okay.

Maybe they think it will give them a closer relationship with a staff member (or at least the appearance of a closer relationship) and that will somehow help their kid?

ETA:  It sounds like they might like to one up each other as far as social standing and maybe they think they can claim this as a victory>
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 09:26:57 PM by Sharnita »

YummyMummy66

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:44:10 PM »
I think Karen will need to have a spine and tell all that send resumes or ask questions that she will not be inviting any of the students to her wedding ceremonies.  She is having a small, family ceremony only.

Viscountess

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 10:23:42 PM »
kinda curious, is this private school affiliated with a church and is so will Karen be getting married in the school's church?

Nope, the school is not affiliated with the church or any other religion. 
"If you don't like something, then change it.  If you can't change it, then change your attitude towards it."

SingMeAway

• Formerly Mrs. Mouse
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 10:47:37 PM »
Not presumptuous at all of them to assume she'll want some random student as her flower girl, as opposed to, you know, maybe a family member's or close friend's child  ::).

gorplady

• “Put silk on a goat and it is still a goat”
    • PerfectDuluthDay
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 10:55:31 PM »
What a bunch of trolls! Resumes for flower girls. What will they think of next?

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 11:02:30 PM »
I'm sure she will also have trained (non-pooping) butterflies to be freed after the ceremony in lieu of rice or bubbles.

buvezdevin

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 11:03:37 PM »
Well, as I have been enjoying the recent thread alluding to curbing one's butterflies, and agree it seems bizarre for parents to promote unrelated students as potential flower girls, I love imagining a response of "the skills we seek in any flower girls we may choose, other than those from family and family friends, are specifically butterfly-wrangling. If your daughter has such skills, or better yet a trained herd of butterflies, please let us know when we may schedule the audition".
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

Style_and_Grace

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »
Really... this is just too freaking funny! 

Why not suggest that your friend have a quick chat with the administrators at the school.  First to let them know that she will not be using children from the school in her wedding and second to let them know that the "resumes" are unsolicited. 

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 11:33:13 PM »
Head-shake time - what happened to the time-honoured traditions for including child attendants because they've been important in the HC's life??

Even then - sometimes you have to think it over.  Future DIL has a friend who has a 1-year old daughter that she's crazy about.  By the time they get married, she'll be all of 3 years old.  Without being overly pushy, I'm really, really trying to discourage it....

Iris

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 11:37:54 PM »
Funniest thing *ever*! Thanks for sharing.

Seriously though, it is a bit OTT and slightly bat-poo crazy. I heartily recommend not having a flower girl. Certainly not one connected with the school in any way.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.