Author Topic: Flower girl resumes update pg. 5  (Read 15460 times)

SPuck

Re: Flower girl resumes
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 12:01:01 AM »
This is strange. I can't imagine getting this involved in a teacher's personal life.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 12:09:31 AM »
Head-shake time - what happened to the time-honoured traditions for including child attendants because they've been important in the HC's life??

Even then - sometimes you have to think it over.  Future DIL has a friend who has a 1-year old daughter that she's crazy about.  By the time they get married, she'll be all of 3 years old.  Without being overly pushy, I'm really, really trying to discourage it....

Our son had his twin neices, aged 23 months, as flower girls. They wouldn't carry the baskets because they were 'hot!', well, heavy, but they did walk down the aisle from their dad to me and were absolutely adorable. We took them to the hired babysitter for the ceremony and it all went well for the reception. The pictures are worth every bit of extra effort, and even at 19 the girls are laughing about the experience. One of them has her picture in her Facebook album.

But - these are not just random kids we never see again. If the attendants aren't meaningful, don't have them, I agree.

HonorH

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 12:14:42 AM »
Yeah, if I were to see any of those mothers, I'd casually slip around the corner and run like EHell. That is purely nuts. Those mothers are nuts. I'd be seriously afraid of having one of their daughters in my class, because anyone who'd do up a "flower girl resume" would undoubtedly be the classroom mom from the infernal regions. Nuts!
William wondered why he always disliked people who said "no offense meant." Maybe it was because they found it easier to say "no offense meant" than actually to refrain from giving offense.

--Terry Pratchett, The Truth

CinnamonGirl

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 12:38:21 AM »
That is CRAZY! I mean, I can understand being competitive about preschools. That might theoretically make a difference to a person's success.

But what advantages do the parents think their child will get by being a flower girl to a relative stranger? Are they going to put on their college applications "Flower Girl at more than 7 different weddings before the age of 10?" Do they think their daughters are getting a leg up into the glamorous, cut-throat word of professional bridesmaid-ing? It's a really strange thing to be so intense about, but I guess as long as they're willing to take no for an answer it's okay.

That was my first thought too.

I'd tell the mothers that only close friends and family are invited.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 01:10:37 AM »
Head-shake time - what happened to the time-honoured traditions for including child attendants because they've been important in the HC's life??

Even then - sometimes you have to think it over.  Future DIL has a friend who has a 1-year old daughter that she's crazy about.  By the time they get married, she'll be all of 3 years old.  Without being overly pushy, I'm really, really trying to discourage it....

Our son had his twin neices, aged 23 months, as flower girls. They wouldn't carry the baskets because they were 'hot!', well, heavy, but they did walk down the aisle from their dad to me and were absolutely adorable. We took them to the hired babysitter for the ceremony and it all went well for the reception. The pictures are worth every bit of extra effort, and even at 19 the girls are laughing about the experience. One of them has her picture in her Facebook album.

But - these are not just random kids we never see again. If the attendants aren't meaningful, don't have them, I agree.

Great, if it worked for you, but my opinion differs.  I do think that child attendants ought to be old enough to understand what is happening  - a meaningful ceremony where two adults are dedicating their lives to one another.

magician5

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 01:26:44 AM »
Awww, come on! Interview. Choose one.

But emphasize that the position is as an intern, not paid and not permanent.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 01:41:09 AM »
Honestly I think the principal should send out a general letter telling parents to grow up and stop harrassing the OP's friend. Then the parents who submitted resumes, should be called in and be given 2 choices take an approved parenting course or withdraw their child. If being in the school is socially adventagious - they will take the course to not get kicked out, maybe something will get through to their brains. I grew up around idiots like this they don't deserve to be allowed around children, much less raise them.

(I'm the poster who's High school classmates wrote and circulated a petition for the police chief to keep his job after he arrested a bunch of them for underage drinking. The parents were trying to fire him, using the fact he detained falling down drunk kids of diplomats as leverage. It in part read something like Police chief is one of the few adults in the villages that cares if we live to grow up. Sadly it was true for them - they were ornaments hauled out to make their parents look good and stored out if sight the rest of the time.)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

BC12

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 01:58:50 AM »
I think Karen should respond to the requests with something like, "Thank you for the interest, but it would be inappropriate and unprofessional of me to select students to participate in my wedding." Because it's true.

Those parents have some nerve.

poundcake

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 05:13:50 AM »
This whole thing already sounds like a sitcom plot, but this twist

Awww, come on! Interview. Choose one.

But emphasize that the position is as an intern, not paid and not permanent.

would make it even better.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2012, 08:36:03 AM »
I think Karen should respond to the requests with something like, "Thank you for the interest, but it would be inappropriate and unprofessional of me to select students to participate in my wedding." Because it's true.

Those parents have some nerve.

This, or "It would be unfair to pick one student when I care about them all, so I will not be having any students in my wedding party because I don't want any hurt feelings."

That leaves the door open for Karen to have a flower girl if she wants one, just not one of her students.

The resumes, the competition for the position--these mothers are a) making some interesting assumptions (that Karen will have a flower girl, that she wants students in her wedding) and b) very presumptuous. I'm just sort of stunned that there are flower girl resumes and that mothers would push so very hard for this. I could see a close friend or relation wanting their child in the wedding, but this is ridiculous.

On the other hand, Karen could wait a few more days, getting in more resumes and requests for "pick my daughter please!" and then announce that she will chose her flower girl from the pool of students who have not requested the privilege and have not turned in resumes. That would be a little bit mean, but it might teach some parents a lesson.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
First, Butterfly poop and now this.  Are we sure that this isn't April Fools Day?

There are parents in our neighborhood who are fiercely competitive but I doubt any of them would stoop to this, although some might.   

How old are these students? 

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2012, 10:28:25 AM »
Please, please tell me you're making this up! I fear for our future otherwise ....

ONE parent doing this can be written off as a nut job, but several makes it a trend - sad and bizarre.

25wishes

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
wow, she already has 7 potentials - 2 more and she could field an All-Flower-Girl baseball team.

pearls n purls

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2012, 11:51:07 AM »
I took me a while to write a response as I had to pick my jaw off the floor several times.

Flower girls are not obligatory and how do the parents know that Karen or her fiance don't have a niece or close relative/family friend they're already planning on having as FG.  And asking about an interview process???!!!!  I wonder what kind of bridezillas the mothers were.

Roses

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2012, 12:07:50 PM »
Craziest thing I've ever heard.

I think I would tell any mother's that approached me that I was only having attendants in my wedding that were close family or friends and that my fiance and other family members knew personally.  It wouldn't be appropriate to have attendants that my fiance doesn't know and it would be unprofessional to involve my students in a personal event.

Sheesh.  Maybe the parents all want an invite to the wedding.