Author Topic: Handling a neighbor and escalating problems with his dog  (Read 1797 times)

misha412

Handling a neighbor and escalating problems with his dog
« on: October 21, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »
Hello, all.

I have a neighbor, let's call him Kevin, who lives directly across the street from my house who has two dogs. When he gets home in the afternoon, he let's the dogs out to run around and use the bathroom. The problem is the dogs like to run across the street and use my yard as their potty.

I am generally a live and let live person. But, this is causing problems. My dog, Dagan, gets upset when he finds the markings/droppings in his territory. Dagan caught one of the other dogs in the yard marking and took off after him. He chased the dog out of the yard. My dog did not go across the street after the other dog, just to the edge of my yard. My neighbor got upset because Dagan chased his dog. The neighbor dog is leaving markings and droppings closer and closer to the house after that incident. It now literally become a dominance game.

Kevin's attitude is that he, as a dog owner, is not doing anything wrong. He is proud that his dog is not leaving droppings around his yard. He is happy because he thinks dogs should be allowed to roam free. He has complained in the past because a neighbor was feeding one of the dogs. The dog is allowed to run lose. The neighbor fed him some scraps. Kevin got upset because the dog is supposed to be on a diet.

This morning my dog was out in the front yard while I was doing something outside. My dog sat down and had a staring contest with Kevin's dog across the street. Kevin had a friend over and I overheard him talking about my "d--n" dog. Apparently, because my dog, Dagan, chased Kevin's dog out of my yard, my dog is now a problem.

I am at the point of telling Kevin if I catch his dog in my yard again I will be calling animal control. The issue is that animal control only works during week days. This problem happens mainly in the evenings and on the weekends. I do not want to antagonize neighbor relations, but his attitude is really getting me angry. Outside of this dog issue, I really have no other major issues with the guy.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

LeveeWoman

Re: Handling a neighbor and escalating problems with his dog
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
Is there a leash law in your area?

I'd photograph his dog every time it's in my yard for proof that he's breaking the law.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »
What are you waiting for?  Call animal control each and every time Kevin's dog is in your yard.  Take pictures, keep a notebook.  Kevin sounds like a horrible neighbor. 

snowdragon

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 02:30:05 PM »
I would be doing everything I could to keep my dog away from his if I were you. If your dog catches his and bites or injures it, your dog could be the one considered the problem as PP's have said start photographing it in your yard and get a webcam positioned in your windows to show how often this other animal is in your yard and where it actually lives. This is not an etiquette issue, it's a legal one and I'd start protecting my dog from this asap.

Margo

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »
Is it possible to speak directly to your neighbour & tell him you want him to keep his dogs out of your yard?
Also, if you have other neighbours you're friendly with who would also be willing to complain to him, and to animal control ? I cant imagine they can be keen on having dogs messing in their yards or in the street, either.

Evil Margo would be inclined to scoop up his dogs mess and rerun it to *his* yard, where it belongs..

Finally, would it be possible to have anything such as a motion sensitive alarm or sprinkler that would make your yard less attractive to the dogs? (I imagine a squirt from a high powered water pistol or house every time they squat might put the dogs off, if you're at home when they are out. It won't hurt them, but might discourage them. It doesn't sound as if Kevin has any concept of responsible dog ownership or good neighbourlyness)