Author Topic: Winning  (Read 18625 times)

Editeer

Re: Winning
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
Well done, Rusty! That was great wording. Your sister isn't going to think you're a pushover for much longer.

Milash

« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2012, 09:00:43 PM »
That was awesome Rusty.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2012, 09:10:21 PM »
She can't be serious.  Those are your winnings and you owe her and her son nothing.  I would offer no excuses and am not even sure I would respond in any way.  I'm flabbergasted at her nerve!
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Minmom3

« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »
Just thought I'd update.  I've had a call from sister to tell me that as Nephew is going to be in town next weekend that they thought it would be nice if they all came over for a visit because he hasn't seen us for a while (5 years).  After I'd picked myself up off the floor and recovered I politely asked if the visit had anything to do with her prior request for money for him.  She got all flustered and a bit impatient, and said "of course not, its just been such a while since you've seen him. (this is his choice, he never comes home for Christmas and avoids most family gatherings).  Soooo...I took a deep breath and said "Well, that would be nice, but I should let you know that we have approached a financial planner (not yet) and it looks like most of our cash will be tied up so its unlikely there will be any left over. In any case we've thought about it and don't feel inclined to give money to Nephew, who we feel has ample resources of his own, but chooses to spend as he wishes, so we are going to do the same"!!!   Can't believe I said that.  Anyway there was silence at the other end of the phone and then sister said rather huffily, "well if you feel like that I doubt he'll come over". So I said he was welcome anytime but the subject of what we do with our money is not up for discussion. She quickly got off the phone. My husband heard every word and said he was proud of me!

Ooooh!  You were a shocking cold shower to her!  Go Rusty, go Rusty!   ;D  We need a little cheerleading smilie!
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
I find it amusing that the punishment for not giving into a greedy, grasping family member is that you don't get a visit from the greedy, grasping family member.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2012, 09:27:09 PM »
I find it amusing that the punishment for not giving into a greedy, grasping family member is that you don't get a visit from the greedy, grasping family member.

Yeah, it's like the toxic person who flounces, "I will never ever ever speak to you again if you don't get me a case of Smarties and remove all the yellow ones with silver tongs!" It's so hard not to respond, "Ooh, promise?"
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #81 on: October 29, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »
Someone needs to invent a hearing aid that allows people to hear themselves, and your sister should be first in line for the beta test. 

I hope you're not too heartbroken that Nephew will not be coming to visit  :'(.  Just out of curiosity, could you ask exactly what the price is for the privilege of seeing him?
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

suzieQ

« Reply #82 on: October 29, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
Rusty, you are officially awesome!! Keep that spine polished!

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #83 on: October 29, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »

Yeah, it's like the toxic person who flounces, "I will never ever ever speak to you again if you don't get me a case of Smarties and remove all the yellow ones with silver tongs!" It's so hard not to respond, "Ooh, promise?"

Aw. Lighten up, guys. This poor, grasping mother is just watching out for her own to get what is due. Rusty is such a selfish meanie.

I think if I were in Rusty's position, I might have let the family come over just to see what happened. Of course, IF it should just  happen to come up in the catching-up conversations that no $ are being passed around, a handy camera might be fun, too.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #84 on: October 29, 2012, 10:36:50 PM »
Yes, you are probably right LeveeWoman, if past history is anything to go by she probably won't give up so easily, but at least now I can deflect any further discussions.  Unfortunately she thinks I'm a pushover and has even bragged to me in the past about how she can get people to do things without them even realising it.  We will gird our loins for the next onslaught. At least I've tasted victory, and I like it.

Titanium..it's what's for breakfast :D
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

doodlemor

« Reply #85 on: October 29, 2012, 11:46:43 PM »
Such delightful news, Rusty!  Hooray for you!

And here I thought that the streak of light I saw awhile back was from the hurricane!  It must have been the flash from your titanium spine.

SoCalVal

« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2012, 03:37:24 AM »
That was such an awesome update.  I'm proud of you, too.  You've set the stage for future spine o' steel responses.

Itza

« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2012, 04:37:59 AM »
This is a fantastic update!

Well done Rusty  :)

www.opendiary.com/hear_me
Disclaimer: Not for the faint hearted

YummyMummy66

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2012, 07:52:50 AM »
WooHoo!  Great job OP!   Quick thinking and excellent wording!

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »

LOL!  Me too, Sharnita.

Rusty, well done!  You must be so proud of yourself.  I hope your sister realises this is one battle she isn't going to win.