Author Topic: rudeness of job applicant  (Read 7393 times)

goldilocks

rudeness of job applicant
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
I was hiring for an open position recently.  This is a professional position, and salary starts at 70K  (US).  So, I'm not exactly hiring teenagers for minimum wage.

Anyway, one resume looked promising, so I called the contact number given to set up an interview. 

ME:   Hi! is this Job Applicant?   My name is Goldilocks, with company X,  and I'm calling about the position ....
JA interrupts - I'm having lunch with my friends, so you are going to have to call back later.
ME:  (jaw drops).  Okay, not a problem.

Who does this?  Needless to say, I tossed out her resume and continued my search elsewhere.  I just wonder if she's walking around complaining to her friends that she can't get a job.

Perfect Circle

• Buy the sky and sell the sky and bleed the sky...
Re: rudeness of job applicant
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
I would imagine it's someone who isn't terribly interested in getting a new job.
Maybe he's caught in the legend
maybe he's caught in the mood
Maybe these maps and legends
Have been misunderstood

The map that you painted didn't seem real
He just sings whatever he's seen
Point to the legend, point to the east
Point to the yellow, red, and green

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »
Wow. I wouldn't be that way with a bill collector, much less someone I wanted to hire me (and at that salary, too!).

In a job market where the middle salaries are realy in demand and things are tight, I can't imagine they want a job at ALL if that's how they are behaving.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 09:22:53 AM »
I wonder if they couldn't get away to a spot where they could speak and hear clearly and just worded it reallt badly?

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 09:35:27 AM »
Sharnita, unfortunately, I think you are giving too much credit.  That was a blow off answer, and if I were applying for a good job, even if I thought the person was soliciting, I would at least excuse myself for a moment and move to a quieter spot in order to hear better.

I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

jmarvellous

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 09:38:50 AM »
If we're being charitable and assuming she truly couldn't get away, the best thing to do would be to let the call go to voicemail.

No need for a second chance here.

goldilocks

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 09:46:14 AM »
Yes, if the call had gone to voicemail, I would have just left a message and perhaps followed-up later. 

Just as well - this position has a lot of customer contact, and I obviously don't need someone like this!

Sparkle Star

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »
I can understand her answering as she wouldn't have known it was you calling about the job.... But I can't understand her response.

Surely she could have said something like: "I'm so sorry, I'm in a really crowded area at the moment and can't hear you too well - let me move somewhere quieter" and concluded the conversation more professionally, even if it was to ask if she could call you back later?

I know this is a sweeping statement - especially as I have no idea how old this applicant was - but it does seem that there's a great sense of entitlement these days, particularly among the younger generations.  ::)
Love, dance and chocolate fudge cake - what more do I need?

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
I think someone posted the very topic.  I couldn't believe it then and believe it now.  People are just clueless, truly clueless.  I am so glad you tossed out her resume!

jmarvellous

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
I can understand her answering as she wouldn't have known it was you calling about the job.... But I can't understand her response.

Surely she could have said something like: "I'm so sorry, I'm in a really crowded area at the moment and can't hear you too well - let me move somewhere quieter" and concluded the conversation more professionally, even if it was to ask if she could call you back later?

I know this is a sweeping statement - especially as I have no idea how old this applicant was - but it does seem that there's a great sense of entitlement these days, particularly among the younger generations.  ::

The last part of your post is completely irrelevant. Even if the applicant is 19, her behavior hardly speaks to the attitude of "generations" of people.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 11:02:27 AM »
Yes, if the call had gone to voicemail, I would have just left a message and perhaps followed-up later. 

Just as well - this position has a lot of customer contact, and I obviously don't need someone like this!
yup.

I do think that there is something about this age of technology (not specifically "the younger generation" as Sparkle Star mentioned) - i know a LOT of people who hear the phone ring or see that little "new mail" icon blink and think they *have to* respond *right now*, even if it's to say "sorry i'm in a meeting can't talk". Don't they get that voice mail was invented just for that purpose? it drives me insane when people answer the phone and then say "i can't talk" and hang up leaving me sputtering at the phone "then why did you answer?!"

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Kaypeep

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 11:06:13 AM »

I know this is a sweeping statement - especially as I have no idea how old this applicant was - but it does seem that there's a great sense of entitlement these days, particularly among the younger generations.  ::

The last part of your post is completely irrelevant. Even if the applicant is 19, her behavior hardly speaks to the attitude of "generations" of people.

I don't think it's entitlement, I think it's just cluelessness.  There are so many people of all ages who are compelled to answer their phones, even when they can't or shouldn't take a call (movie theater, restaurant, dinner table.)  As someone else pointed out, just let it go to voicemail.  I think there's a compulsiveness that has developed and people just answer all calls no matter what.  Which is also ironic when you think about caller ID and how everyone now screens every call and usually won't answer if they don't recognize the caller.  When did we develop a fear of just picking up the phone and seeing who it is?

threedogs

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »
Evildog would be tempted to call her back at a later date, just to let her know you are no longer considering her application, just to hear her response.

I too, am astounded that someone who was looking for a job would respond so rudely when called by a potential employer.

audrey1962

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

Agreed. My great-aunt used to do this in the 1990s. I don't know how old she was then - 70 something? So I certainly wouldn't classify it as generational.

Kaypeep

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 11:27:55 AM »
Evildog would be tempted to call her back at a later date, just to let her know you are no longer considering her application, just to hear her response.

I too, am astounded that someone who was looking for a job would respond so rudely when called by a potential employer.

I wouldn't do this.  You know nothing about this person, they could be vindictive or who knows what.  I'd simply leave it be.  If she calls you to follow up I'd just reply that you needed candidates immediately and since she said she couldn't talk when you called, you moved on to the next resume.