Author Topic: rudeness of job applicant  (Read 7384 times)

Bees

Re: rudeness of job applicant
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
Could she have been at lunch with her boss  and panicked? That's the only excuse  I can come up with,her trying to give a cover story to the people who were listening.

lollylegs

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 03:27:50 AM »
I'm job hunting at the moment so I can understand the compulsion to answer the phone even at inopportune times - I have this irrational fear that if I don't, they might not bother calling back and offer the job to someone who did answer (like it's a radio cash giveaway, first one to answer their phone and say the secret code word gets the job!)  But I would never. ever talk to a potential employer that way.

I think this attitude is absolutely cross generational.  When I worked in retail management I constantly had candidates of all ages snap at me for calling the home phone instead of the mobile and vice versa, or for daring to call when they were in the middle of something (like I knew exactly what they were doing and was just waiting for the worst time to call).  Retail isn't the same as a corporate job, obviously, but this was at the height of the GFC and I was so surprised that candidates who wrote (very eloquently, in many cases) cover notes explaining how desperate they were for work would be so rude and dismissive.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 07:12:00 AM »
It has bothered me for a long time that many employers routinely call the cell phone first these days.  Murphy's Law follows my cell phone:  Whenever I try to make a call from it in public or receive one I either experience a reception problem or Loud Traffic Noise Syndrome (emergency vehicles coming through with sirens or a gridlock situation with lots of honking horns).

I'm also not about to run to an interview if I'm not appropriately dressed.

Did it never occur to anyone that answering the phone at inappropriate times could imply to a potential boss that you'll do that on the job?