Some variation on the below.
The E-Hell Standards:
1. Complete Silence
2. "What an interesting assumption."’
3. "I'm afraid that won't be possible."
Variations: "I'm sorry, I cannot accommodate that request," and "No." (It is a complete sentence!)
4. "Why would I want to do that?" Said in a polite, inquiring way.
5. "Have you tried the bean dip?" And other topic diversions from rude inquiries and discussions. Variations: "So, did you see the Chicago Bears game yesterday?" and "Isn't the weather just dreadful?"
6. "So kind of you to take an interest." Said "coldly" then turn away.*
Above all, don't JADE (Justify, Argue, Defend or Explain) . Even saying "My midwife and I have it under control" gives her a reason to "but" in.
And who is it that says, "lather, rinse, repeat"?
* I "hear" this said the way Audrey Hepburn, as Eliza in "My Fair Lady," said it the first time she went out to tea. "So kind of you to take an interest." (Yes, three syllables.)