Author Topic: Chasing a lead.  (Read 2579 times)

redcat

Chasing a lead.
« on: October 22, 2012, 03:38:35 PM »
I applied for a technician's job 2 weeks ago at a university were I worked a few years ago.  Last week, a man I used to work with there phoned me to tell me he'd seen my application, and had I seen that the same lab had 2 places for postdoc researchers (considerably better jobs) which were being readvertised as the lab head hadn't been impressed with the applicants, and had I thought about applying for them?  He suggested I contact the lab head in question to talk about the posts.  I thanked him profusely, and told him I would contact the head on Friday.  I was at my parents at the time, and away from my computer and files, which I thought I might want to have to hand.

I emailed the lab head on Friday afternoon, telling her a bit about myself and my experience, and offering to call her if it was convenient, or to call in (I live a short distance away).  And now it's Monday evening, and I haven't heard back from her.  I really want this job, so how much can I pursue her to demonstrate my enthusiasm before it becomes annoying and inappropriate?  The closing date for the applications isn't for a week and a half.  I'm in the UK.

Dr. F.

Re: Chasing a lead.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 04:58:43 PM »
Wait. It's probably midterms, and she probably has your name on her to-do list for the week. Next Monday you can call if you haven't heard anything.

Good luck!

figee

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 06:32:47 PM »
Is there any reason why you haven't submitted an application and in the cover letter mentioned that so-and-so had suggested you apply?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
That's really only 1 day for her.

So I'd wait until Wednesday and make another contact.

Or I'd snail-mail a note, along with the info from the guy.
And I might re-contact the guy and ask him if he'd mention you to her directly.

thedudeabides

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »
I would definitely give it at least another day, then follow up on Wednesday if you haven't heard anything.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »
Agree with PPs - but I'd actually wait till Thursday or Friday.

Your call of course - but the message might not have gotten to the person until late today.  I'd allow at least a couple of more days before following up.  Of course you are eager, but there is a fine line between eager and irritating, no matter how perfect you think you are for this position.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:18 PM »
I would follow up with a cover letter and CV.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 11:16:46 PM »
I agree with PPs, it's a little *too* pushy.   Give her time.   I would give it up to a week.

When I'm recruiting the rest of my job doesn't stop regardless of how critical the hiring process is, so I might spend an entire day in a meeting and then plan to go through applications the next day.   I have to balance it.  I've no doubt it's the same for her. Or she could be off sick or any number of reasons why she has not had a chance to respond yet.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 11:19:56 PM »

Oh you're right!  I completely missed this aspect.

OP, as a manager who recruits a lot, I really can't stand it when I get "enquiry" emails with no CV.    It just seems to make the whole process more time consuming.   The applicant is basically asking me to engage and spend my time on them without the information that I need in order to do so.     I feel as though they're asking for special treatment - instead of just applying they're asking me if I'm interested in them applying.   Which I can't really know for sure.    So while I know that most people in this position are entirely well-meaning, I don't recommend it to anybody.   It's not that hard to attach a CV for their perusal.  So I would suggest if you don't hear back it may be worth sending in an application.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 11:31:00 PM »

Oh you're right!  I completely missed this aspect.

OP, as a manager who recruits a lot, I really can't stand it when I get "enquiry" emails with no CV.    It just seems to make the whole process more time consuming.   The applicant is basically asking me to engage and spend my time on them without the information that I need in order to do so.     I feel as though they're asking for special treatment - instead of just applying they're asking me if I'm interested in them applying.   Which I can't really know for sure.    So while I know that most people in this position are entirely well-meaning, I don't recommend it to anybody.   It's not that hard to attach a CV for their perusal.  So I would suggest if you don't hear back it may be worth sending in an application.

I'll admit, I missed that too.  I kind of figured that it was a given that the OP would have sent her resume.

Shopaholic

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 12:56:25 AM »
I'm not in the UK, but I have been a grad student for a while now.
I think it's perfectly acceptable to call and inquire.
Most PIs I know get a zillion emails a day with applicants and a few fall between the cracks.
No one has ever been upset with me for calling - responses ranged between "Yes, I noticed your email but I am swamped right now I will contact you in X time." and "Oh, I hadn't even noticed your email! Good thing you called. Can you tell me a little about yourself?/I'm sorry we're not looking for more lab workers right now".

I would wait a few more days.

redcat

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 09:48:03 AM »
Re: including a CV with my email
The application for the technician's job the week before included my CV and details, that was how my contact knew how to contact me.  I figured sending it again would be redundant.  Though it's a good point about including it in general inquiry emails.

I thought contacting her again today (Tuesday) would be too soon, so it's good to get an idea of when a better time would be.  Thanks.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 10:24:49 AM »
in a way, it's probably handy that you didn't include your resume.

Now when you contact her again, you can say, "I know my resume is there in your department, but I'm not sure it has gotten to you. Can I send you your own copy?"

I *always* figure that an extra copy of my resume can't be a bad thing. Even on a non-general inquiry, even when you know that the guy at the very next desk has it. Send them their own copy.

figee

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 07:15:45 PM »
I'm not in the UK, but I have been a grad student for a while now.
I think it's perfectly acceptable to call and inquire.
Most PIs I know get a zillion emails a day with applicants and a few fall between the cracks.
No one has ever been upset with me for calling - responses ranged between "Yes, I noticed your email but I am swamped right now I will contact you in X time." and "Oh, I hadn't even noticed your email! Good thing you called. Can you tell me a little about yourself?/I'm sorry we're not looking for more lab workers right now".

I would wait a few more days.

But you didn't apply to the job you want that you're trying to contact this person about - you applied to a different job.  So it's likely that your resume has ended up in a different pile.  Re-jig it so it's appropriate for the job you want, rewrite an application letter and send it in. 

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 07:33:11 PM »
Definitely send in the CV to person that you are applying for the job. You want to make this as easy as possible for the person to review your application.

It just doesn't look good if you expect the person doing the hiring to do the legwork (or even email work) to hunt down your CV. I would be a little miffed if someone wanted me to contact another person to get your CV.

I also think you should write a new cover letter that doesn't just say what you can do, but ties it into what that specific lab does.

The bonus part is this lets you follow up in a polite and helpful fashion.