Author Topic: Reading a request thoroughly  (Read 4684 times)

SoCalVal

Re: Reading a request thoroughly
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2012, 05:45:50 AM »
As a rule, I would not make an additional call because the other person can't be bothered to read the entire e-mail.  HOWEVER, if the person in question is a big deal (like in my case, our department director or higher), I would just make the call (not a hill worth dying on for bigwigs).  For our assistant directors, I would point out what the e-mails say (if I have to call once or twice) then wouldn't call anymore (I'd point it out because, often, when the people I know who will complain DO complain, it's because that person wasn't thorough and I'm tired of getting blamed because that person is too lazy to READ THE FREAKING E-MAIL).  For anyone else, I wouldn't call.  If the person wants to call me to follow up, I'll point out the e-mail content and keep pointing it out each and every time that person calls so, hopefully, that person would get it.

AuntyEm

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
I too think this is hopefully "new job jitters" and she is trying to react quickly to your request.  She may feel overwhelmed by all of the new things she is learning and feels she has to rush to stay on top of her responsibilities.  What you do know is she is honest and takes responsibility for her mistakes.

Give her a bit of time to master her new job and then talk to her if it happens again.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »
White dragon, how about in the subject field write "Prints ready for pickup & Digital file attached"

And in the email repeat it, "Prints are ready in the office for pickup and please see attached for digital copies.  The following people have:"

The phone call follow up is ridiculous.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »

I'm frustrated at the whole 'Have White Dragon call' solution, but I'm not sure if that's logic or annoyance calling.

Um, I am calling about the White Dragon?  You said to call, so I am calling to ask for the White Dragon Solution.  Is the name of the dragon Logic or Annoyance?  Can I change the name if I want?  What is the wingspan?  Does it fly?  How big is it?  Can it fight other dragons?  What does it eat?  etc...etc...
 >:D ;D ;D :D ;)

Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »

I'm frustrated at the whole 'Have White Dragon call' solution, but I'm not sure if that's logic or annoyance calling.

Um, I am calling about the White Dragon?  You said to call, so I am calling to ask for the White Dragon Solution.  Is the name of the dragon Logic or Annoyance?  Can I change the name if I want?  What is the wingspan?  Does it fly?  How big is it?  Can it fight other dragons?  What does it eat?  etc...etc...
 >:D ;D ;D :D ;)

The dragon should remind her coworkers that they are crunchy and taste good with ketchup. >:D

I am struggling with the idea that we have *one* guy who forgets to read his email and all of a sudden it becomes my job to make sure *everyone* reads their emails.

sourwolf

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 09:50:03 PM »
Training is one thing--criticizing is another.

I think it would be fine, as the trainer, to say, "Oh, I noticed that you hadn't read the whole e-mail. Be sure to slow down--if you think about it, you'll have spent more time already just figuring out how to return the extra one, etc., than you'd have spent being careful in the first place. And by the time you actually return the item, it'll probably be 4 times as long as reading the email carefully."
   And I'd follow it up by saying, "I encourage you to take the time you need to be careful. It's a form of sticking up for yourself, to insist on slowing down enough to be mindful about what you're doing. Protect yourself from mistakes, from any reputation loss that comes because you're rushing. Don't get so wrapped up in rushing that you set yourself up for this sort of incidental time cost."

But that's not the same as (to use the OP's words) "calling her on it."

(and if "being responsive" is something she's working on, that might have led her to rush a bit with this--to be responsive)
I find it somewhat ironic that your suggested reply is so wordy  ;)

I also admit that people not reading things all the way through annoys the snot out of me, and in a work situation there is no good excuse for not doing so. 

I think Zilla's reply (I would let it go with one tiny reply back.  "Alright, no problem.  Glad we can get credit for the second one.  Please just be sure to read the entire email.  This will often happen where I will need more or less etc.") Is much more likely to get the results the OP is looking for.

GrammarNerd

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 11:08:10 PM »
I worked with a vendor once, and it seemed that she would never  answer my questions.  I got SO frustrated and didn't know what to do.  For my stuff, it almost seemed like she had her email preview pane set up for about 3 lines, and if it wasn't in that top 3 lines, she didn't read it!  Or even acknowledge it.  I ran my emails past other people and asked if they were clear, and they said yes.  Everything was totally plain and clear.  She just wouldn't answer the questions or respond to the issues if it wasn't stated in the first couple of lines.  (I never wanted to call b/c I wanted the written record.)  She was the in-house rep, and finally I went to the main salesperson to try to get some answers.  He didn't know either.  And I never did get any answers b/c we started going with a different vendor shortly thereafter, and the new vendor acted as our agent for any remaining issues (PC equipment).  Horrible customer service; no wonder why we switched vendors.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:31 AM »
I worked with a vendor once, and it seemed that she would never  answer my questions.  I got SO frustrated and didn't know what to do.  For my stuff, it almost seemed like she had her email preview pane set up for about 3 lines, and if it wasn't in that top 3 lines, she didn't read it!  Or even acknowledge it.  I ran my emails past other people and asked if they were clear, and they said yes.  Everything was totally plain and clear.  She just wouldn't answer the questions or respond to the issues if it wasn't stated in the first couple of lines.  (I never wanted to call b/c I wanted the written record.)  She was the in-house rep, and finally I went to the main salesperson to try to get some answers.  He didn't know either.  And I never did get any answers b/c we started going with a different vendor shortly thereafter, and the new vendor acted as our agent for any remaining issues (PC equipment).  Horrible customer service; no wonder why we switched vendors.

Of course, your frustration is definitely understandable - this is to do with multiple mis-communications.

But for OP - this is a one time, one early communication with a new employee.  I would still give her a one-off, especially considering that she acknowledged her error right away and did her best to correct it ASAP.  What would be the point of "calling her on it" if she was already aware of it?

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 01:15:40 AM »
UPDATE:   Still having issues with the employee.  Unfortunately it does seem that email management is not her forte.     She doesn't seem to read them in a timely fashion, and often fails to respond. 

Our CEO sent her an email last week that required a response that same week (clearly stated in the email e.g. "Could you please reply to let me know by Thursday"), she then sent a follow-up on Thursday afternoon when she realised the employee had left for the day and still not responded.   She still didn't get a response.    From what I can see it looks as though the employee just doesn't bother reading all of her emails at all.  We're actually not sure what she does with her time as upon exchanging notes it seems none of us are really getting our delivables out of her properly.  It's weird.  It's kind of disappointing more than anything.    She is experienced and not a junior so not really any excuse for such poor time management.  I know she has been confiding in another colleague so I asked her about it, apparently she has been complaining that she has too much work, isn't sure what she's supposed to be doing, not enough time etc.  But even the colleague said "but to be honest, she doesn't really seem engaged and I really have no idea what she's spending her time doing".  And she never asks me any questions or clarifies anything although I continually offer extra support/time etc.   So seeing we've been through her job description in detail with her and set some clear guidelines I'm not really sure what else we can do.

Some aspects of office etiquette I take for granted, and one of those is that people will check their emails, read their emails, and reply to their emails!  (Although I take it for granted, I also mention it in their orientation!)   It's really hard because this employee is a lovely person, very experienced, and is going through a rough time personally right now so I would like to cut her some slack.   But we're going to have to push her to lift her game, we're not a charity and this kind of thing is just ridiculous.  Right now she's not adding any value to our company or really achieving anything, not a good start.   :(   But hey, perhaps she's just having an off couple of weeks... her first few weeks weren't so bad, but then again her first few weeks we knew she was brand new so didn't have any expectations.  Now we definitely expect her to be doing something!! So hopefully she lifts her game.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"