Author Topic: s/o Trick or treating  (Read 6301 times)

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
s/o Trick or treating
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »
The other thread on trick or treating leads me to a related question, but I don't want to derail that thread. 

Do you think it's rude or weird to take your kid out if they can't actually *say* "trick or treat"?  LK can say "treat", but she doesn't talk to new people as a general rule (I can't even get her to say hello or goodbye).  That said, I never went ToT-ing as a kid, so at 30*cough* this is my very first time ToT-ing, too, and I'm actually really excited to take her out.  But the closer we get to halloween the more I wonder if I really should. 

She will be walking beside me, so I we are only going to do about 5 or 6 houses, since that will take us plenty long enough.  And I'll let her stand with her bag instead of carrying her.  But I'm still a little unsure.

Wittyone

Re: s/o Trick or treating
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 11:00:30 AM »
I think it's adorable to see children that small trick or treating.  It wouldn't bother me at all that she didn't say it.  I'd be happy to give her candy just because she came to the door and held up her bag so I could squee at her.
California

lowspark

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 11:02:45 AM »
We get itty bitty kids all the time. They are adorable! They don't need to say anything at all, although the parents are usually prompting them and trying to get them to say ToT. Go for it. And take pictures. What's she gonna be?

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 11:06:08 AM »
I think it's fine! You could say "trick or treat" for her, and encourage her to try saying it with you, but don't give her a hard time about it. I love little, little kids ToTing, it's adorable. I've also had tiny kids say, "Candy, please!" instead of "Trick or treat!" and it's fine with me.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 11:09:05 AM »
No problem with very young children.  There are few things more adorable than a four-year-old Dracula at the door. 

One of the best I remember was a Mom dressed as a flower holding her infant who was dressed as a bee.  It was sweet and hilarious.

You know that the candy will probably be eaten by the parents but, what the hay!  The only person who's not likely to understand what's happening and not enjoy the experience will be the little one. 

SiotehCat

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 11:10:07 AM »
Saying "trick or treat" is not important to me. If she were there in costume, with a smile, holding out her bag, I would be glad to give her some. I even give to babies in costumes.

If she were standing behind you, being shy and not really enjoying herself, then I would think that you should wait till next year.

How old is she? Is she old enough that you can prepare her? Saying trick or treat is usually not the only thing said. Sometimes, people giving out candy will ask about costumes and say things in that general area. Is that going to be too overwhelming for her?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 11:10:57 AM »
For me the "appropriate age" for kids ToT'ing is when they can walk not when they will speak "trick or treat" to strangers.  While I like seeing itty bitty babies in silly costumes, I dislike giving then candy since its quite clear I'm giving their fully grown adult parents candy not the kids.  But a little tyke walking and holding a sack?  Bring 'em on!

Of course I do still try to trick them (the cutest thing ever was the look on an about 4 year old's face when I pretended I was going to put my cat in his treat bag "and here's a pet for you!")

Knitterly

• That other knitting blog
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
She is 13.5 months and can walk beside me holding my hand.  I don't know whether she will decide to say anything or not.  She *can*, but she might not want to.  She doesn't usually play shy with strangers in general except for the talking thing.  Her costume is just so stinking cute.  I mean, really, really cute!

I love the really young ones that come to my door, too.  I just haven't seen kids under 2 trick or treating unless they are with siblings.

She will get to eat a little of the candy, especially the chocolate.  I have no problem with her having little pieces of chocolate bars or the soft chewy candies.  A chip or two a day is also fine.  It'll be the hard candies she won't be able to do yet.

Jones

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2012, 11:18:57 AM »
My kids would totally take the cat, WillyNilly. I like that idea; maybe I should pretend to hand out my costumed chihuahuas this year  ;D

Last year I walked Jean Bean around the neighborhood, and brought Boo Bear in his stroller; however, Boo was unimpressed and fell asleep. Some parents insisted on giving an extra treat for him "when he wakes up". Others didn't. No biggie. This year I hope to join a group of kids, instead of just my two, and Boo tends to mimic so I am hoping for a few ToTs by the end of the night.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 11:21:33 AM »
I think your plan is perfect. Especially since you're not going to try to take her to 1000 houses. Keeping it with neighbors and friends will help. And if she can say something, that's great, but if not, people will understand and still think she's cute.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 11:22:42 AM »
If she can say "treat" she'll be doing better than a lot of the little ones. And if she gets too shy and just stands there, well, that's what most of the very little kids do. It's never bothered me.

Most of the parents do try to get the kids to say "thank you," but with the tiny ones, it's hit or miss. Usually, the parents will say "thank you" and that's fine. The kids are obviously at the just-starting-to-learn-about-manners stage and I think most people realize that. Perhaps it is because the people who are willing to hand out candy to total strangers are aware that some kids just get shy, and that really little kids are still learning all about TOT.

Five or six houses sounds just about right for a little one. Take her around, let people admire her costume, and then try to get the candy before she eats it all.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

O'Dell

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
Yes take her. There are some people that don't like very little ones ToTing but then some people don't like ToTing at all and that doesn't stop people. ;)

I'm another one that likes seeing the babies and toddlers all dressed up and wide-eyed at the whole thing.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

magicdomino

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 11:41:41 AM »
I'll give candy to anyone in a costume, regardless of age or speaking ability.  Really good costumes get two. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
Do you think it's rude or weird to take your kid out if they can't actually *say* "trick or treat"?

Of course not. The cute factor of a baby or toddler in costume is hard to beat.

Goodness knows, saying "Trick or Treat" does not do anything tangible for the candy giver.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
For me the "appropriate age" for kids ToT'ing is when they can walk not when they will speak "trick or treat" to strangers.  While I like seeing itty bitty babies in silly costumes, I dislike giving then candy since its quite clear I'm giving their fully grown adult parents candy not the kids.  But a little tyke walking and holding a sack?  Bring 'em on!

Of course I do still try to trick them (the cutest thing ever was the look on an about 4 year old's face when I pretended I was going to put my cat in his treat bag "and here's a pet for you!")

I agree with all of this.  I know our neighbors love seeing the little neighbors all dressed up.  I usually have some lollipops for the 3 and under crowd.

But I honestly don't know what I'm supposed to do when an adult comes to my door with a 4 month old and a trick or treat bag.  I have a neighbor who ignores the bag and says "Oh, how sweet.  Thanks for stopping bye so we could enjoy the costume.  Have a great night." and closes the door without offering candy.