Author Topic: s/o Trick or treating  (Read 6319 times)

O'Dell

Re: s/o Trick or treating
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
So we did take her out and ended up doing way more houses than we expected to.  She really got into it - although a few times she thought we were actually going to visit people and tried going into their homes.

One little guy did that at my house. hehe

My second trick-or-treater was a little girl...maybe 2.5 or 3yo?...with a manic gleam in her eye. She was too excited say anything. She was my favorite of the night.

My second favorite was a teen. I put candy in his friends bags but he held out his hand and I didn't see a bag. As I put candy in his hand I asked him if he was eating all his candy as he went along. He had a system: put the candy in his pockets, when his pockets were full empty his pockets into his backpack. I guess he thought he was going to look cool by keeping his hands free while he swaggered along...Trick-or-treating.  ???  ;D
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

AngelicGamer

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »
I'm glad you took her out.  I saw a lot of little kids in pumpkins last night - it's cold here, so it was to keep them warm.  Also there was a Mario family out last night - mom and dad were Mario and Peach, two of the kids were Luigi and Wario, and the baby in the stroller was a Koopa.  Reason for Luigi instead of the Wario counterpart - "I don't like that game!" before running off into the afternoon. 

I do think my favorites were the group of teens, dressed normally but for the zombie make-up.  I opened the door to give candy and they all went "braiiiins" at the same time.  After a moment, one of them said "or candy".  They got extra candy for that.  :D

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2012, 12:10:59 PM »
I do think my favorites were the group of teens, dressed normally but for the zombie make-up.  I opened the door to give candy and they all went "braiiiins" at the same time.  After a moment, one of them said "or candy".  They got extra candy for that.  :D

I sometimes get annoyed at teenagers continuing to go out ToT but this^?  I'd get a kick out of it.  They used some creativity about it!

I had a few teenaged boys who threw on some dark clothes and a mask and that was it.  C'mon, dude!  Put a little effort into it.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

CluelessBride

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »

I sometimes get annoyed at teenagers continuing to go out ToT but this^?  I'd get a kick out of it.  They used some creativity about it!

I had a few teenaged boys who threw on some dark clothes and a mask and that was it.  C'mon, dude!  Put a little effort into it.

At least they were teenagers.  We had a man show up covered in a black sheet and a full facial mask.  He walked hunched over, but you could tell he was tall so I assumed it was a teenager.  Until he reached out his hand for candy.  I know it's difficult to tell age by looking only at hands, but the man's hands looked more like my grandfather's (80)  than my father's (54).  No way he was under 40, and he was quite likely a senior citizen.  He was trick-or-treating with a similarly dressed girl/woman, but she was wearing gloves so I couldn't get a read on her age - but she was "adult" sized (so not like a small child).  I suppose he could have been accompanying his teenage daughter trick-or-treating, but I thought it was a bit weird he expected candy.  And I'm suspicious that the woman was his age.

If an older couple showed up decked out creatively for Halloween, I'd find it hysterical. But attempting to conceal your age with a sheet and a boring mask just seems to scream "I think I deserve free candy - give it to me!". 

Not that it matters - no clue who they are and the both got candy.  :P

AngelicGamer

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

Yeah - the teenagers in the area put a lot of effort into costumes this year.  They were the best of the lot.  There was one that scared me because he hadn't knocked when I saw him and he was dressed all in black but the white ski mask.  He apologized and hit something inside his costume that made him light up so people driving could see him. 

So yes, I was extremely happy with all of them.  :) 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 05:21:16 PM »
I'm okay with teens and babies trick or treating so long as everyone is in costume.  I don't overly like it when a family comes up and mom, dad, and three kids all collect candy for their five buckets.  That seems a bit "grabby".  Especially when I know they never pass out candy (they live across the street).  If childless adults come up I don't mind giving out candy if they are in costume and say "trick or treat".  I hate that in my area kids (who are old enough) have forgotten to say those words.  So few actually say trick or treat and that was always a big part of the fun.

I had one women, no costume, going around with two bags one year, collecting candy 'for her twins who were home sick'.  I normally give out two or three of the snack sized chocolate bars or candies.  I put one in each bag so I didn't have to argue with her and sent her on her way.  Even if her story was true, seriously?  Buy them their own candy.  The whole point is so that I get to reward the kids for showing me their costumes.

Here I side with the mother (assuming she does have sick kids at home).  Halloween candy can't just be bought.  You have to go door to door to get the crazy variety of stuff that makes up a batch of Halloween candy.  There is no mix you can buy that really simulates the variety you get when trick or treating.  And for that, I totally understand why she would go out for her sick kids instead of buying candy. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 05:26:08 PM by Marisol »