Author Topic: Reschedule or drop it?  (Read 4314 times)

Ginger G

Re: Reschedule or drop it?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 12:45:30 PM »
You are doing her a favor, not the other way around. You can do things on the schedule that works best for you. Meet her somewhere that's convenient for you, at a time that works for you.

I agree with this, and I wouldn't even bring up rescheduling unless she does so first. 

I recently went through something similiar with a job applicant.  I called a lady to schedule for an interview.  I've been scheduling interviews for 9 years at my job and this person was the first applicant who absolutely could not (or would not) arrange her schedule to come in at some point during our business hours.  So, in spite of the fact that I am not at all a morning person, I agreed to come in an hour early at 7:00 am just to meet with her.   The next morning, I dragged myself out of bed early and got in to work at 10 minutes before 7.  I get to my office and saw I had voice mail.  She had called and left a message for me at 5:10 the evening before saying she couldn't make it and wanted to reschedule.  She apparently "forgot" she had another early morning meeting.   She knew that my normal day is 8am to 5 pm, so I couldn't help but feel that she deliberately waited until after I was gone for the day to leave me that message.  If I had gotten the call before I left it would have been no problem to reschedule, but after that I decided she wasn't such a great candidate after all. 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 12:55:51 PM »
I would schedule something close to your home and under the condition that she calls you when she is on her way. 
That should at least minimize the chance that she will flake again.

I only suggest even rescheduling because you said you have an interest in the project in question. 

O'Dell

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 12:56:29 PM »
I agree with arranging a meeting that is convenient to you, but I say make it *very* convenient for you. At a time and place and length of time that works for you. If that means that it's too many hoops for her to jump through, then too bad, so sad, for her and you've gotten out of your agreeing to meet with her.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 02:50:18 PM »
"Oh, sure, but this time let's meet at my house so if anything comes up I won't be inconvenienced like last time."

"But it's so far..."

"Wait, you think it too far to come when I already had to make the same trip to come do a favor for you?"

SoCalVal

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »
I recently went through something similiar with a job applicant.  I called a lady to schedule for an interview.  I've been scheduling interviews for 9 years at my job and this person was the first applicant who absolutely could not (or would not) arrange her schedule to come in at some point during our business hours.  So, in spite of the fact that I am not at all a morning person, I agreed to come in an hour early at 7:00 am just to meet with her.   The next morning, I dragged myself out of bed early and got in to work at 10 minutes before 7.  I get to my office and saw I had voice mail.  She had called and left a message for me at 5:10 the evening before saying she couldn't make it and wanted to reschedule.  She apparently "forgot" she had another early morning meeting.   She knew that my normal day is 8am to 5 pm, so I couldn't help but feel that she deliberately waited until after I was gone for the day to leave me that message.  If I had gotten the call before I left it would have been no problem to reschedule, but after that I decided she wasn't such a great candidate after all.

I had an applicant like that also a few months ago.  She had other things she was doing for when I tried to schedule the interview and kept trying to suggest other times that I already told her a few times wouldn't work because our office is CLOSED during those times (and I was thinking the whole time, "It's not OUR job to accommodate YOUR schedule if you want this interview").  She did finally call me back and schedule an interview (opting to miss class for that time), but she was really a poor candidate.

SoCalVal

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »
Oh, and I second (or third) the suggestion that you not even contact her to reschedule.  Let her do it but only agree to that which will least disrupt your schedule and workflow.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »
As someone who was facing jury duty, or as I regarded it JURY DUTY, I'm not sure how you'd "think" you had it in the morning, but realize you didn't by the afternoon.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
You are doing her a favor, not the other way around. You can do things on the schedule that works best for you. Meet her somewhere that's convenient for you, at a time that works for you.

POD

And that's still generous on your part. If someone stood me up and then didn't profusely apologize later, an apology which I believed was sincere and indicated that it was a rare occurrence, I wouldn't accommodate them again. There's no way I'd even plan to meet her in person again unless it wasn't inconveniencing me at all.

norrina

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 10:24:06 AM »
As someone who was facing jury duty, or as I regarded it JURY DUTY, I'm not sure how you'd "think" you had it in the morning, but realize you didn't by the afternoon.

In my county, you get your summons in the mail, and then you can call the juror information line the evening before you are scheduled to report to see if you are still needed. Not everyone that receives a summons will necessarily need to report in the end. Also, roll call is first thing in the morning, and some jurors will be dismissed during that process. So a juror may report at 9:00 a.m. but be dismissed by 10:00 a.m.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2012, 05:56:22 PM »

In my county, you get your summons in the mail, and then you can call the juror information line the evening before you are scheduled to report to see if you are still needed. Not everyone that receives a summons will necessarily need to report in the end. Also, roll call is first thing in the morning, and some jurors will be dismissed during that process. So a juror may report at 9:00 a.m. but be dismissed by 10:00 a.m.

Same here. I've also been told "you don't need to report in the morning -- call around 11 to find out if you're needed in the afternoon."
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 06:42:55 PM »
I think I'd probably drop it.  She needs to get more organized.

I would, too, but the OP DID last say to e-mail her if she wants to reschedule.

SNIP

Yep, I said the bolded above. I sort of regret it now, but it was in the spirit of giving her the benefit of the doubt. In hindsight, I think the fact that I said it locks me into rescheduling with her.

Okay, I'll go with the thought that you are somewhat, sorta, kinda locked into rescheduling simply because you made the offer.

I completely agree that if/when she e-mails you asking, yet again ::) for your help, you make an appointment that best suits you. You've already tried to accommodate her schedule. Didn't work.

Which is why this idea the best:

Why don't you schedule a conference call.  That way you can be at home working while you are talking to her and you don't have to leave your house and interrupt your work day

Is there a reason that you have to do a face-to-face?

eta: Most definitely wait for her to contact you.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:45:11 PM by jpcher »

RooRoo

• Iím out of my mind. Please leave a message.
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 12:18:44 AM »
Yes, let her call you, and make it for somewhere convenient for you.

I would also suggest telling her that this is the last time you will reschedule this. If she doesn't come this time, she will not get another opportunity.

Speaking as someone with poor organizational skills, I am not at all surprised that she's having trouble getting her job done! It takes one to know one, y'know...  ;)
"Someday we must write a book of Etiquette for sensible people," said Mrs. Morland, "though apart from a few rules it really boils down to an educated mind and a kind heart." ~ Angela Thirkell, Never Too Late