Author Topic: California Honeymoon - March 2014  (Read 2196 times)

ilrag

Re: California Honeymoon - March 2014
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »
I live in Santa Barbara and currently have family (in laws) in from Australia and aside from all of the great tips you've already got I want to tell you to bring warm clothes! Our ocean is also shockingly colder than you will expect it to be. (if you're surfers)

People are always shocked that spring is not warm in southern california and it's not! All my inlaws went out and bought hoodys (jumpers) first thing.

If you need any tips for Santa Barbara feel free to PM. (Or San Diego, I grew up there and my parents still live there) I'm sure it's in all of the guide books or websites or what ever but the Urban Wine Trail has really blown up in popularity in the last 5 years and the quality of the wines has gone up tremendously.

Awestruck Shmuck

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 04:32:34 AM »
I live in Santa Barbara and currently have family (in laws) in from Australia and aside from all of the great tips you've already got I want to tell you to bring warm clothes! Our ocean is also shockingly colder than you will expect it to be. (if you're surfers)

People are always shocked that spring is not warm in southern california and it's not! All my inlaws went out and bought hoodys (jumpers) first thing.

If you need any tips for Santa Barbara feel free to PM. (Or San Diego, I grew up there and my parents still live there) I'm sure it's in all of the guide books or websites or what ever but the Urban Wine Trail has really blown up in popularity in the last 5 years and the quality of the wines has gone up tremendously.

Thanks ilrag!! I had figured it would be warmish at that time of year - so definitely useful tip!!

ilrag

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »
Ha, and of course after posting that it's now 21 C today, but it still can't hurt to bring some warmer clothes.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »
If you are at all interested in looking at beautiful, historically significant or just plain bizarre automobiles, the Petersen Auto Museum is really neat.

http://petersen.org/

I'm not a car buff by any means, but I was happily engrossed for about 3 hours in the interesting, gorgeous and wacky cars/motorcycles there (for instance, a car that has a bullet hole in the steering wheel because Elvis Presley shot it in a fit of rage when it wouldn't start!).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »
If you go to San Francisco, which I would recommend, get yourself a daily transit pass.  You can hop on and off all the city transit, including the cable cars, under one daily fee.  Much cheaper than paying per ride.

When I was there, we stayed in the Holiday Inn up town.  It was a little run down but clean and tidy and right at the end of the cable car line.  It was quite a bit cheaper than staying on the waterfront.  And since we were really only in our room to sleep, it was fine.  We only had a day and a half there.  The first day, we went to Alcatraz and to Coit tower and wandered all over the waterfront.  We were a bit shocked when we had to line up at the waterfront to get back on our cable car to the hotel.  That did take a bit of time.  The second day, we did a city bus tour that was tied into our Alcatraz tour in the morning and then headed out on PCH to get back down to the LA area to meet up with my friends that lived there.

Alcatraz was interesting, depressing but interesting.  It was worth going once but I'd never go again.  I found it a little creepy.

You definitely need two full days at Disneyland if you want to see everything in Disneyland and in Disney's California Adventure.  But look into whether or not you can get a deal on-line somehow for two day passes.  Otherwise, it is quite expensive.  Make sure you get on 'Soaring California' in DCA - it is a hang gliding simulation over California, complete with smells.  It is really cool.

It is really unfortunate that you don't drive.  The drive on the Pacific Coast Highway is really kind of cool.  We were able to stop for a little bit here and there all the way down from San Fran to Glendale.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario