Author Topic: Two Whole Days alone in San Francisco  (Read 1747 times)

blueyzca01

Two Whole Days alone in San Francisco
« on: October 23, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »
I'm joining DH for his business trip in San Francisco at the end (!!) of November.  (Don't worry, I already know I'm going to freeze my tuckus off  :o)

The thing is, he's going to be at work  Thursday and Friday, and I'm going to be on my own, without a car.

I've been there a couple times before, and I've done the wharf/GoldenGate/Tiburon thing.  I'm asking fellow EHellers who really know the city: where are your favorite places to go that tourists really don't know about?

No one ever says, "Why me?!?!" when something good happens.

SoCalVal

Re: Two Whole Days alone in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 12:48:13 AM »
I don't *know* the City, but I did like shopping at the Ferry Building (tourists know about that, I'm sure).

If you're into baking/cooking, there's a wonderful bookstore called "Omnivore Books."  I think it's on Mission Street (or it's in the Mission District).  It's a bookstore for all, and only, things culinary.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:14:32 AM »
I went as a tourist a number of years ago.  The best thing we did was get the daily transit pass.  You could hop on and off the cable cars, grab the street cars or whatever public transit you wanted for the princely sum of $6!  We were staying at the older Holiday Inn up town so we had to grab the cable car to get back at the end of the day.  And had to wait for quite a while at the waterfront to grab one back up the hill.  That was the only downside.

We did the touristy stuff, including Alcatraz, but one of the other things we did was Coit tower.  And it was quite a hike to get up to it, since we didn't want to pay for a cab or wait for a bus.  So that would definitely keep you warm!

We missed Chinatown and Ghiradelli Square (Hmmmm... chocolate... drool) because we didn't have time, which I'm told are both worth having a good wander around.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
This is a fun site with some ideas. 

The Lyon street walk is beatiful and we really enjoyed the North beach area.

http://www.hiddensf.com/101-north-beach-san-francisco.html

blueyzca01

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 02:03:47 PM »
Thank you all so much for the ideas! 

katycoo

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:23:47 PM »
Cross the bridge to visit Muir Woods.  Its my Mum's favourite thing about San Fran.  Its beautiful there.

zainabzks

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 06:44:37 PM »
See if you can get to Twin Peaks. Haight Ashbury is fun to visit as well. Then there is also Union Square, Chinatown.

Oh! HOw could I forget. You have to visit Stow Lake, the Museum of Fine Arts, the Japanese tea garden, The Conservatory. All of these places are located in the Golden Gate park! :)

PM me if you want any other reccommendations. :) I love S.F. Make sure to dress in layers. It could be warm during the day and chilly at night. Plus it might be raining or be foggy.
Have fun!

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 06:48:09 PM »
Weather is going to be bad, so indoorsy is probably better:

Exploratorium, California Academy of Sciences, Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA), Legion of Honor.

Eat your way through the Ferry Building

If Tosca is still playing at the opera, catch that. We saw it two weeks ago and it was amazing

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
Last time we were in SF we had a tour of the Anchor Brewery.  We've gone on similar tours in other places. But this one was especially nice.

blueyzca01

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 06:11:01 PM »
Weather is going to be bad, so indoorsy is probably better:

Exploratorium, California Academy of Sciences, Museum of Modern Art (SFMOMA), Legion of Honor.

Eat your way through the Ferry Building

If Tosca is still playing at the opera, catch that. We saw it two weeks ago and it was amazing

THANK YOU THANK YOU  for these suggestions!  DH and I did eat our way through the Ferry Building.  The Vietnemese restaurant there is truly amazing.

Lynnv

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
Tour the Anchor Brewery if you are a beer person.  Very cool tour-and they let you have beer (mmmm...Liberty Ale) afterwards.  Or they did back a few years ago when DH and I went.
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein