Author Topic: Is it appropriate to tell my friend not to take a promotion?  (Read 4285 times)

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
Re: Is it appropriate to tell my friend not to take a promotion?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2012, 04:07:59 PM »
My answer would be: It depends.

If there is a question of something dire could happen to your friend: illegal activities; rampant substance abuse; toxic environment; then yes, tell her.

Otherwise, if she mentions the possibility to you, and you say, "Oh, yes, I know that office!" in a bland way, then you wait for your cue.  People who truly are unaware of potential bad things will pounce on this: "Oh, good!  What do you know about the place?"

But if that hint just lies there, let it lie.

WARNING: if you do this, you must truly lay the hint out in a very bland manner.  You can NOT wiggle your eyebrows or widen your eyes.  You do not want to poison your friend beforehand unnecessarily.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

ILoveMyCello

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:15 PM »
Thanks for your opinions. The reason I asked is because we work for the same bank in the same office, and I transferred out of the old office she is going to. The old office IS failing-they have been under corporate eyes for awhile. I think I might not say anything unless she asks.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2012, 05:28:10 PM »
Thanks for your opinions. The reason I asked is because we work for the same bank in the same office, and I transferred out of the old office she is going to. The old office IS failing-they have been under corporate eyes for awhile. I think I might not say anything unless she asks.

If you recently worked in that very office, and you are friends, I really can't imagine she wouldn't ask you for your advice and your opinion on her taking the job.  If she asks, you can be honest.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2012, 07:28:46 PM »
If the office fails, I assume your friend would lose her job. In that case, I think you should mention to her that it is failing and "a challenge".

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2012, 08:51:04 PM »

I think that's very wise. 

Sometimes things do turn around and while it may have been failing, it may also have since that time straightened itself out.  You'd feel terrible if you discouraged her and then found that it was really a wonderful once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for her that she turned down on your advice.  She'd feel terrible too -- toward you.