Author Topic: "You might explain that..."  (Read 7832 times)

Kiwichick

• Is anyone else hungry now?
Re: "You might explain that..."
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 08:19:14 PM »
Are you sure he isn't "The Rest of the Class"? I would assume he was the one who didn't know these things and just didn't want to admit it.

Other than he worked this field for 11 years, I'm pretty sure he actually knows because of the tone of superiority he uses when he says it. If he was hesitant or not confident, I would probably agree with you, but I don't hear it.

So pretend you do see it.  Say something like 'Oh Bernie, we'll all have questions at different times, you can ask yours without pretending it's for the rest of us.'

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 08:25:13 PM »
Are you sure he isn't "The Rest of the Class"? I would assume he was the one who didn't know these things and just didn't want to admit it.

Other than he worked this field for 11 years, I'm pretty sure he actually knows because of the tone of superiority he uses when he says it. If he was hesitant or not confident, I would probably agree with you, but I don't hear it.

So pretend you do see it.  Say something like 'Oh Bernie, we'll all have questions at different times, you can ask yours without pretending it's for the rest of us.'

Awesome!! I bet that'd do it!  ;D

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
Haha, maybe I should.  >:D

His gem for today, which fully cemented my belief he thinks he's so much smarter than everyone else, was, "You might explain what ADA is for everyone, they haven't had that class yet."

Now, I'm not saying everyone everywhere in the US knows what ADA is, but I'm going to go with probably at least 90% of adults know what it is, especially when the topic makes it pretty clear that it is what most people think it is.  We were talking about how to safely remove ADA offenders from a facility (in the case of a fire) because their paralysis or deafness or blindness may present problems.  Yes, the instructor actually listed a few disabilities before he said ADA and before Bernie requested that he explain it for the rest of us.

I spoke up about how most of us know it's the American Disability Act, but I chickened out half way through and only the few people near me heard.  I'm apparently not the only one annoyed by Bernie.  The woman next to me rolled her eyes when he told yet another story about what it was like when he worked in the line last, and the guy on my other side let out an exasperated sigh when Bernie argued with another instructor about what something was called.  I even heard him approach the instructor about it after class and she firmly told him he was wrong.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »
He's going to have a really rough time of it when you get to your permanent placement. I can almost guarantee the powers-that-be have heard about this guy and are ready to shut him down. I'm surprised the instructors haven't already!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2012, 09:00:07 PM »
Well, they've already heard of him at the facility to which he'll be going because that's where he previously worked.  The worst part?  I'm going to be at that facility, too  >:(  I can't wait until I'm his superior  >:D >:D >:D

(I am not implying I will treat him unfairly but rather that I will thus be showing him he isn't the best like he thinks he is).
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »
I was sitting next to Bernie again today. A new instructor was giving a brief overview of what we would be covering later in the day. In an example, he used a specific medical term in regards o a location on the body. Bernie said, "Why don't you explain what that is, the rest of them may not know what it is." I piped right up and said, "We'll be learning that later." The instructor looked at me, nodded, then looked at Bernie and said, "Yes, we will. I hate to waste time explaining that now when it will be covered thoroughly later."

This was a brief overview of pressure points, which we will be learning the next four days; we definitely and very obviously would be learning about it in the coming days.

MerryCat

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 04:06:11 PM »
Nice going! How did Bernie take it? Hopefully it dampened his enthusiasm a little bit.

perpetua

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2012, 05:10:58 PM »
This is such bizarre behavior that two things occur off the top of my head:

1) He doesn't know what these things mean himself and is phrasing it that way through embarrassment
2) He's some kind of secret shopper assessing the instructors in some way and his 'returning to the field' is a cover story. Is that a possibility?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 06:13:55 PM »
I remember taking a computer programming course with this guy who, I guess, was returning to school for a degree.  He prefaced every question with, "In my vast experience in the programming field..."  It drove us all crazy!  I like how you're pointing out that the rest of you don't really need this stuff broken down and the instructor is doing fine.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
Bernie just kind of shrugged and nodded at the instructor; he looked at me when I spoke, but as soon as the instructor began speaking he turned his attention back to the instructor.

I don't think that's possible in this field, perpetua, but in any other instance, I can see where it may be a secret shopper.  What I think it is is that he wants to show everyone else just how experienced and knowledgable he is; his wording is what keys me into that, much like MommyPenguin's classmate who prefaced everything with his experience.

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 08:41:26 PM »
If I recall your line of work I'm 99% sure he's legit going back into the field and 99% sure he's a major blowhard. You know for certain you'll be his supervisor soon? I predict that when that happens, and you don't let him walk all over you, you'll be the witch who thinks she's better than everyone else ::). Fortunately everyone will see him for what he is!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »
If I recall your line of work I'm 99% sure he's legit going back into the field and 99% sure he's a major blowhard. You know for certain you'll be his supervisor soon? I predict that when that happens, and you don't let him walk all over you, you'll be the witch who thinks she's better than everyone else ::). Fortunately everyone will see him for what he is!

I'll raise you 1% and make that a full 100% for me  ;D

No, I am not sure at all that I will ever be his supervisor, but I am most certainly aiming for it!  I'm sure he'll think I'm a jerk, but I can't help it I'm better than he is simply by virtue of not telling him I'm better than he in any abstract way.   >:D

JenJay

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »

I'll raise you 1% and make that a full 100% for me  ;D

No, I am not sure at all that I will ever be his supervisor, but I am most certainly aiming for it!  I'm sure he'll think I'm a jerk, but I can't help it I'm better than he is simply by virtue of not telling him I'm better than he in any abstract way.   >:D

Ah, gotcha. I thought maybe you were fast-tracking.  ;)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:14 PM »
I wish!  If I could, I would, but the testing is very exact.  Maybe this time next year ;)

Maude

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 12:03:02 AM »
Speaking of testing...

How does Bernie go on tests?