Author Topic: Acknowledging a "Bless You"  (Read 4924 times)

Lauren

Re: Acknowledging a "Bless You"
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
The history of Bless You was that you were possessed by a demon (this was during the plague eras) and sneezing was a way the body was trying to expel the demon, saying Bless You assissted with this, but by saying thank you you kept the demon in the body. I don't know if it's true, but I've heard this a number of times and I have some friends who won't say thank you.

AlansGirl

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2012, 01:56:03 AM »
I have pretty horrific allergies and at some times during the year, I SNEEZE SNEEZE SNEEZE SNEEZE SNEEZE without even that much typographic in between.  I think it's lovely when people bless me because regardless of their, or my, ecumenical or personal view of the thing, a 'bless you' is kindly meant.  I have said at times, when my sneezes were one after another out-of-control, "You don't have to bless me every time, thanks!"

(I've been doing allergy shots for the last 5 months so that I can, y'know, BREATHE, but those are still in progress and in the meantime - well, I'm happy to hear it b/c I think it's kindly meant.)

MissBrit

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2012, 07:29:45 PM »
I have a coworker who is like Betty but she actually approached me at work shortly after I started working there as asked why I never said thank you when she blessed me. Honestly, the thought of it never occurred to me! It was never something we did in our household. I, like the poster above, grew up having nasty allergies that I got shots for and it never was a issue. I sneezed a lot!  I think Betty needs to get over herself.