Author Topic: Finding Time to Eat  (Read 6316 times)

Jones

Re: Finding Time to Eat
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 09:24:00 AM »
As someone who has been pregnant a couple times, and during the first pregnancy I worked in a grocery store with an instore deli next to my zone, I have to say if she is being this picky over *fruit leather* she is being SS. If you feel courteous, bring her a list and ask her what she would like you to avoid. If she's irrational about it, you may need to bring in a supervisor and ask for food rules.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Driving while eating isn't illegal anywhere I'm aware of, and it's not exactly a major undertaking. I do it all the time. I think if OP's going to use her lunch break for something other than lunch, it's up to her to work something out.

RingTailedLemur

• Rudeness is a small person's imitation of power.
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2012, 10:22:42 AM »
Driving while eating isn't illegal anywhere I'm aware of, and it's not exactly a major undertaking. I do it all the time. I think if OP's going to use her lunch break for something other than lunch, it's up to her to work something out.

It is in the UK.

Jones

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2012, 10:27:50 AM »
Driving while eating wouldn't occur to me, as I drive a stick shift, anything more than a cup with a straw isn't so manageable.

LeveeWoman

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2012, 10:29:36 AM »

Although she doesn't say so explicitly, this leads me to believe that it is illegal in her jurisdiction: 1) As far as eating on my way to my appointment, I drive and the area I drive though is literally lined with wineries. As a result of that, there are a lot of police around. It's unfortunately not the best idea.

ETA: This is from No. 18.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:31:17 AM by LeveeWoman »

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:43 AM »

Although she doesn't say so explicitly, this leads me to believe that it is illegal in her jurisdiction: 1) As far as eating on my way to my appointment, I drive and the area I drive though is literally lined with wineries. As a result of that, there are a lot of police around. It's unfortunately not the best idea.

I took that to mean that it might be illegal there, but it might also just mean that she personally would find it distracting and wouldn't want to inadvertently drive badly with all those cops around (which is of course also a legit concern).

LeveeWoman

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 10:52:31 AM »

I took that to mean that it might be illegal there, but it might also just mean that she personally would find it distracting and wouldn't want to inadvertently drive badly with all those cops around (which is of course also a legit concern).

That's what I was trying to say. Thanks!

BarensMom

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 12:16:32 PM »
The pregnant coworker is sensitive to the smell of fruit leather and protein bars?  It sounds more like the coworker is sensitive to the OP.  Why should the OP give this woman power over her food?  Perhaps OP should note what coworker eats and bring the same thing - then when she starts complaining, OP could call her on it.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 01:54:19 PM »

It is in the State of California.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

fountainof

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 02:08:12 PM »
The OP has a medical appointment, so I'm surprised at your hostility
And the coworker has a medical issue as well that must be considered. 

snowdragon

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 02:38:10 PM »
The OP has a medical appointment, so I'm surprised at your hostility
And the coworker has a medical issue as well that must be considered.

The OP is handling her own issues, the coworker is making her issues the OP's problem and ONLY the OP's, she not complaining when others eat at their desks which leads me to believe that this woman has less of an issue with the actual eating and more of a problem with the OP. Fruit leather and protein bars really don't have much of a smell, if she can't have those, what's next no coffee? tea? water? where does it end? and when? exactly how much does the OP need to concede to the co-worker who really seems to be hostile to the OP. I could see it if the OP were eating say a Big Mac and Fries or something similarly smelly but the things she is describing, really are not smelly at all.
  Just because this lady is pregnant does not mean that her issues are all medically based ( or that they are not) nor does it confer more or less stature to them. It just means she needs to deal with them and not make them other people's issues.
  If this were an instance of EVERYONE'S food bothering her I'd be more sympathetic..but, again, that's not the case.  The best advice I have is to begin as you mean to go on - if you intend to give into every demand that every pregnant person makes on you with regard to what you eat, give in here. If not don't and let things take their course.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
The pregnant coworker is sensitive to the smell of fruit leather and protein bars?  It sounds more like the coworker is sensitive to the OP.  Why should the OP give this woman power over her food?  Perhaps OP should note what coworker eats and bring the same thing - then when she starts complaining, OP could call her on it.

I agree.  It's too suspicious she's only complaining about the OP and nobody else.

As for eating while driving, I know a lot of people have no problem doing that, but I (and a lot of people) don't have the coordination to do that.  I suppose one can eat during stop signs and red lights, but those breaks can be too short.  Also, if everybody else can snack at their desk, the OP should have the same privilege.