Author Topic: I should have known better  (Read 3240 times)

Green Bean

I should have known better
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:44:20 PM »
BG/ MIL is generally very level headed, but FIL spouts off his mouth about anything and everything. His favorite topic, in general and especially recently, is politics.

Mil is on FB, FIL is not. She is, however, not very tech savvy. I don't believe she quite understands who can see what, much about privacy settings, etc...  /BG

So, lately MIL has gotten more political with her FB posts. I've made several comments to DH about how she seems to be changing her views, etc... DH thought perhaps FIL is rubbing off on her. I thought perhaps she didn't understand that when she "likes" all these random posts that everyone else can see them. While we usually see them weekly, we haven't connected much in person lately.  I've been ignoring these (sometimes offensive) posts up until now, but today I couldn't. (Shoul have known better.) Not for a topic that used to be important to her and is near and dear to DH's and me. My comment basically said the post " was disappointing, especially given her prior work in the area" that she was was now slamming. I don't want to name the topic, but its something generally supported by the public at large. (For example, education). My post was not like the scathing one you may have seen or heard if recently, and I don't think it was that attacking. Just expressing disappointment.

Here's the second place I should have known better. FIL has been making these posts on MIL's FB account. I want to explain to her that every time he posts these rants, it appears to all her friends and acquaintances as coming from her.  Should I say something or get out now?

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: I should have known better
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »
get out now.  I would even delete the comment about disappointment.

jmarvellous

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »
I think you can ask MIL if she knows what's being posted as though it's her saying it, and start a dialog about Facebook etiquette with her, letting her know in the course of the conversation that you are likely to block her completely if the posts continue. And you can suggest FIL get his own page. But you can't tell them what to do.

Short answer, I guess, is that I wouldn't give up now, but I'd let her know I plan to soon.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:01:12 PM »
I think you can give your Mil a heads up. Most people who are not tech savvy don't understand how facebook works. She/he may also be alienating other people she is friends with as well. Give her the opportunity to fix it THEN walk away.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:51 PM »
What does your husband want to do?

CakeEater

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »
I'd definitely chat with your husband about it, and together let MIL know how FB works. She mightn't even be on it that much herself, and hasn't seen what FIL is posting in her name.

Green Bean

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
I spoke with DH this evening. He talked to MIL about it.  Unfortunately, his conversation came too late and she is upset about my post.  (I couldn't delete it from my phone during the day.)

He never got a chance to talk to her about what FIL is posting on her page.  I'm not sure if she is aware or even understands.

It is what is is for now. I'm not sure when I'll see them to discuss this, and I'm not sure over the phone is the right place.

I think I'll hide her feed - at least until the election is over. Perhaps longer if he keeps it up.