Author Topic: Why do you need to know that?  (Read 6191 times)

snowdragon

Re: Why do you need to know that?
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2012, 01:00:38 PM »
I worked at a small company once and they were really excited because they were going to get health insurance!  It didn't affect me, though, b/c I was covered under DH's policy at his work.  So I didn't answer any of the very personal questions on the form, or even turn the form in.  Then the boss came back to me and said 'we need you to fill this out'. Again, I declined.  This was my personal medical information, and I was NOT going to give it out because I was NOT going to use their insurance.  Then boss came back AGAIN and said that they needed me to fill it out, just b/c I was employed there, and they had to have forms from everyone as proof of how many people they employed, regardless of whether or not the employee was going to use the insurance.  I was not happy.

I doubt it's exactly like that, since you're government, but it could be something similarly weird (although the personal nature of the questions does give me pause...)

I still wouldn't fill it out though.

I am given a similar form every year at insurance renewal time.  All I have to do is sign it and stated that I am insured elsewhere.

Nope, they wanted me to fill out the more in-depth health form that everyone who was actually applying for the insurance filled out....family histories, 'have you ever been treated for any of the following?' questions...a whole bunch of stuff.  I thought it should be enough that I declined, but they said that the health plan needed all of it.  Regardless, it still sounded weird that they would essentially demand medical information of someone they were not insuring.

They don't get to have that info.  Nor do they get any info on my family, and if they push for it , they'll be dealing with the state agencies that deal with privacy issues. The word HIPPA comes into play here and my co-workers do not need to see this info on my family.

As for the issue in the OP - sorry no, again my family and my life outside of work is not their business.

SoCalVal

Re: Why do you need to know that?
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2012, 03:11:36 PM »
I worked at a small company once and they were really excited because they were going to get health insurance!  It didn't affect me, though, b/c I was covered under DH's policy at his work.  So I didn't answer any of the very personal questions on the form, or even turn the form in.  Then the boss came back to me and said 'we need you to fill this out'. Again, I declined.  This was my personal medical information, and I was NOT going to give it out because I was NOT going to use their insurance.  Then boss came back AGAIN and said that they needed me to fill it out, just b/c I was employed there, and they had to have forms from everyone as proof of how many people they employed, regardless of whether or not the employee was going to use the insurance.  I was not happy.

I doubt it's exactly like that, since you're government, but it could be something similarly weird (although the personal nature of the questions does give me pause...)

I still wouldn't fill it out though.

I am given a similar form every year at insurance renewal time.  All I have to do is sign it and stated that I am insured elsewhere.

Nope, they wanted me to fill out the more in-depth health form that everyone who was actually applying for the insurance filled out....family histories, 'have you ever been treated for any of the following?' questions...a whole bunch of stuff.  I thought it should be enough that I declined, but they said that the health plan needed all of it.  Regardless, it still sounded weird that they would essentially demand medical information of someone they were not insuring.

That sounds really invasive.  I work for a public university hospital.  We aren't even allowed to access our own records (meaning that if you are working in an application that access everyone's medical records, you still can't poke about looking at your own if it's not for a work-related task).  I couldn't imagine how REQUIRING an employee provide PHI (protected health information) is okay, especially an employee who isn't signing up for the insurance.