Author Topic: organ donors  (Read 2762 times)

rain

organ donors
« on: October 25, 2012, 08:43:51 PM »
This is just a big "thank you" to anyone who has had a family member donate organs.  Due to a heart donation my DM has:

gotten to see my DS grow up (he's the youngest GC)
all her GC graduate high school & go to college (except my DS ... the "baby")
saw me remarried
seen DGD #1 get married
that DGD now has 2 children (and DM enjoys being a Great-Gma)

(I cry every year on the anniversary of my DM's transplant, as I know someone lost a family member)
"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

Bijou

• Super Hero!
Re: organ donors
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54:03 PM »
This is just a big "thank you" to anyone who has had a family member donate organs.  Due to a heart donation my DM has:

gotten to see my DS grow up (he's the youngest GC)
all her GC graduate high school & go to college (except my DS ... the "baby")
saw me remarried
seen DGD #1 get married
that DGD now has 2 children (and DM enjoys being a Great-Gma)

(I cry every year on the anniversary of my DM's transplant, as I know someone lost a family member)
My friend received a kidney because someone made such a decision.  It made a tremendous difference in her life. 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »
Family friends were walking down a street, the father with the baby in his arms, when a sheet of ice fell off a building's roof and hit them.  Dad was OK but the baby was killed.  They made the very painful decision to donate the baby's organs and a number of other people are alive because of their gift.

And my first cousin, once removed, is alive today because of a liver transplant.

I've signed my organ donation card but I've had cancer so I'm not sure whether or not they'll use my organs, if the time comes.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

MrsCrazyPete

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 10:52:23 PM »
I don't know anyone who has donated an organ or been the recipient of one. I think it's such an amazing thing that someone can do for someone else!! I'm signed up to be an organ donor, and I'm a bone marrow donor too.
Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 11:26:23 PM »
Blessings to all the organ donors, and their families.  My dad was on a waiting list, but could not hold out long enough for he was far too ill for far too many years. 

When my kids got their learner's permits, one of their first questions was, "where do I sign to be an organ donor?"

Scary thought, but they have heard for years how much it is needed.  They have seen me give blood, and know I am signed up with a bone marrow bank.

Thank-you to everyone who has a heart to give...figuratively and literally!!!
 :-* :-* :-*
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:30:47 AM »
I signed up to be a living donor for my aunt.  I wasn't needed (although she still has dibs on my kidney), but the people I met during that process were amazing.  Both donors and recipients.

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 06:59:38 AM »
Our friends had to face this agonizing decision for their 18-year-old earlier this year.  They weren't sure what to do until someone suggested checking the young man's drivers license, and they discovered he had volunteered as an organ donor.  So instead of making that difficult decision for their son, they were honoring the decision he made earlier.

OP, I'm glad you have your mother, and I'm glad that we have the technology available to allow people to give this precious gift of life.

Kendo_Bunny

• I'm inquisitive!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »
I've never known a recipient, but I'm a donor. When I'm done, I'm done, and if I can be of any more use in this world, I want to be. I made that clear to my family as well - if I'm a candidate, I want everything that can be donated donated.

magicdomino

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:21:43 PM »
Periodically, I remind my family that I'm into recycling, and that includes any useful bits of body.   8)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 01:53:01 PM »
It's so nice of you to not only celebrate your mom's life but to remember the one lost on this anniversary.

My DD turned 18 recently and I went with her to renew her driver's license.  We'd never discussed organ donation.  Though I have elected to be an organ donor I never wanted my choice to influence her. I was pleased to see that on her renewal application she had organ donor selected.  So that night we had a discussion with her about any organs she wouldn't want donated and those that DH and I wouldn't want donated. 

Minmom3

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 02:32:52 PM »
Donor here, too.  On offer, that is.  Not actually given up any bits as yet. 

Serious question - why would you not want certain bits donated?  And, if you're willing to say which, which parts would you not want donated?
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
I plan to be cremated so they can take as many bits and pieces they can use.  But I don't want my whole body donated for use in anatomy classes.  I know I won't be there to hear them but I just don't want a couple of students standing over me discussing how much fat they had to go through to get to my liver or whatever.  Plus, it delays when my family would get the remains and I don't want to do that to them.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 04:44:31 PM »
I am a registered donor, but I really wish they could take my organs upon my death and do this with the rest:

http://www.humanleather.co.uk/

I would love to be a wallet, but the leather requirements are really strict.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Jones

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 04:53:39 PM »
DH and I are registered donors, however he's told me not to donate him to science; he doesn't want anyone mucking about in his brain. The thought of anyone doing anything with his brain after death really bugs him for some reason.

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 05:06:39 PM »
Donating organs is not the same as donating your body for science, so do not worry!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.