Author Topic: organ donors  (Read 2763 times)

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
Re: organ donors
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 06:23:30 PM »
I plan to be cremated so they can take as many bits and pieces they can use.  But I don't want my whole body donated for use in anatomy classes.  I know I won't be there to hear them but I just don't want a couple of students standing over me discussing how much fat they had to go through to get to my liver or whatever.  Plus, it delays when my family would get the remains and I don't want to do that to them.

I have talked to several people who went through gross anatomy and it seems skinny people are the ones they fight over in class.  The students are trying to find muscles and so forth and it is easier to do it if there is not much fat covering the muscles, bones, etc.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »
^ Then I'd just have to listen them complain that they got stuck with the fat chick and I just don't need that.   ;D
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Dr Momz

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 06:56:54 PM »
My oldest son died suddenly last year of a stroke at age 47. The only easy decision his widow and I made was to donate his organs. 3 people received his heart and kidneys as well as his corneas. I thank God daily that he was able to give these people life and vision as it helps the daily pain.

Stranger

• diligo ergo sum
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
My father was an organ donor, and we have been assured that 18 people have been helped with his donation.

My husband was blind, but thanks to his donor he leads a wonderful, sighted life.

We are all organ donors - my 8 year old daughter was very worried that we would "take" her organs before she passes away, but after we explained the process to her she was happy to agree.

CreteGirl

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
I absolutely plan on recycling myself when I am dead!

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »
My oldest son died suddenly last year of a stroke at age 47. The only easy decision his widow and I made was to donate his organs. 3 people received his heart and kidneys as well as his corneas. I thank God daily that he was able to give these people life and vision as it helps the daily pain.

((((((((hugs))))))))))

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
We seem to always hear about the dramatic effects of organ donation and forget about the "little" pieces that go along with it.

My sister-in-law has knee parts, and I have cement made out of ground up bones as part of my spinal fusion. I eat French fries more often now, and we laugh that it must be my donor. But the laughter reminds us what he has done for many people, and for me to be grateful.

We have both been on the donor list for years, but our bodies may have outlived their usefulness to other people, now. Lucas donates blood regularly.

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 09:32:45 PM »
I'm an organ donor as well, and a regular blood donor.  I'm also signed up to a marrow bank and have given bone marrow twice.  The science that allows people to give and receive body parts, to me, verges on the miraculous.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

rain

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »
OP here

Thank you everyone who is willing to be a donor .... if you know a family that followed their loved one's wishes - give them a hug for me  & tell them thanks (I'm serious - if I could thank the family that saved my DM, I would)

"oh we thank thee lord for the things we need, like the wind and the rain and the apple seed"

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 10:57:17 PM »
As soon as I was legally allowed to be a organ donator (you have to be 18 to sign for yourself in my state), I put that on my driver's license. I think it's so important to help someone live even when I've stopped living.

Vita brevis, ars longa

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 11:30:59 AM »
I'm an organ donor as well, and a regular blood donor.  I'm also signed up to a marrow bank and have given bone marrow twice.  The science that allows people to give and receive body parts, to me, verges on the miraculous.

I never got to donate marrow before they removed me from the list after my melanoma.  I'd had the four points tested then had rest done when I came up as a four point match but must not have been a close enough match for the person who needed marrow.  I'm kind of jealous.  :-)
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »

I never got to donate marrow before they removed me from the list after my melanoma.  I'd had the four points tested then had rest done when I came up as a four point match but must not have been a close enough match for the person who needed marrow.  I'm kind of jealous.  :-)

It was one of the most rewarding things I've ever done, though the only tangible 'reward' I got was a thank-you card from my first marrow recipient, a young boy.  I still have it.
"After all this time?"
"Always."

Iris

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 05:25:18 PM »
Donor here, too.  On offer, that is.  Not actually given up any bits as yet. 

Serious question - why would you not want certain bits donated?  And, if you're willing to say which, which parts would you not want donated?

Personally I don't care which bits they take but when I was younger I had a good friend who was willing to be a donor, but not certain organs. In her case, she wasn't willing to have her external appearance changed and so said no to skin and eyes. I'm not sure why she felt that way, but she was a very beautiful woman - one of those people just born that way without any primping or make-up needed - so perhaps that was part of it (?)

I've lost contact with her now so I couldn't tell you if she changed her mind as she aged. I've heard she's still very lovely though.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Lady Snowdon

• Super cool awesome title
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2012, 05:30:38 PM »
My sister in law had a daughter who died at four days old.  Her parents made a very difficult decision, and donated whatever body parts could be used.  I don't remember specifically which ones, but I do know donations were made.  It helped to know that part of her lived on.

I'm registered as an organ donor; whatever organs, whenever it happens.  The idea of being able to help someone else far outweighs my own personal ickiness at the thought of being cut open for the donation. 

Just Lori

• USA
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2012, 11:13:11 PM »
I've told my husband to donate everything but collagen.  I don't want part of my body being pumped into women's lips.