Author Topic: organ donors  (Read 2786 times)

learningtofly

Re: organ donors
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2012, 11:35:56 PM »
I'm a donor and will now double check that DH knows it.  I forget exactly where in Judaism this line comes from, but "If you save a single life you have saved a world."  Thinking of how one life touches another and another, saving one person is saving a world.

joraemi

• Crystal of Enchantment - my current project
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2012, 10:10:10 AM »
My mother received a double lung transplant.  It gave us time with her that we otherwise would not have had.  Her donor died tragically and I always hope that the letters we exchanged with the family helped to ease their pain.  We never told mom what happened to her donor - it would have bothered her tremendously, I think.

We are so, so grateful to that family and we are all donors (Me, DH, kids, etc.).

To the PP that asked why some folks would not want to donate or only donate certain parts, their are some religions with restrictions regarding the condition of the body at burial.

Courage is the price life  exacts for granting peace.  ~Amelia Earhart~

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
re: collagen-
is what is injected to plump lips really made from humans??

Mmmmm...soylent green grade lip plump, also good for the rump!
 :o ???
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Snooks

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2012, 04:06:11 PM »
I can't remember if it went through but there was talk in the UK of making organ donation an opt-out process.  I'm happy for any of my organs to go but for some reason I feel odd about my eyes being used.

ekoko

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2012, 05:22:47 PM »
I've been listed as an organ donor since I got my license, but I've also been a reciepent as well. When I had my most recent ACL surgery they used a donor achilles to fix my knee.

I wrote a card to the family thanking them afteir.

KB

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2012, 06:43:56 PM »
Just because I'm curious, in Australia, even if the deceased person has decided to be an organ donor, the family members can overrule that decision and refuse the offer (which on a personal level makes me really angry, but that's just my feelings on the matter). Is this the same in other countries?

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2012, 09:09:43 PM »
I think it depends on the state here in the US.  Here in MD your organ donation card or designation is all that's legally needed for medical personnel to remove your organs.  However, if your next of kin puts up a fight, they tend to back off as not to upset the next of kin too much.

Quesselin

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2012, 05:19:35 AM »
I've said all I have to about this subject three years ago: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=71136.msg1661618#msg1661618

But just for the record: Thank you again to all organ donors and their families.

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2012, 04:52:38 PM »
I've told my husband to donate everything but collagen.  I don't want part of my body being pumped into women's lips.

Oh my goodness, I never though of that... that would be awesome! Only if collagen came from a funny body part though, like the armpit or bum cheek. ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-