Author Topic: I sent it to you, why can't you pick it up?  (Read 3973 times)

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
I sent it to you, why can't you pick it up?
« on: October 26, 2012, 12:23:51 PM »
I have a friend that lives across the country from me. Recently she was lamenting about a snack food that is not available to her in her area, but it's one I can readily get. I purchased the item for her at her request, added a couple of other items I knew she'd like and shipped it to her. She asked I ship it to her office, rather than her condo as things tend to disappear from the mail area. Btw, she did send me the money for the item so I was only out a few extra dollars for the shipping and for the extra treats. That is not an issue in the least. My issue is she works from more than one location and hasn't been to the location I shipped the treats to in more than two weeks. I'm frankly a bit hurt by this. I understand not being in that office, but if it were me I would have rushed over to get my treats bc I would have wanted them, and so I could express my thanks and enjoyed the items my friend went out of her way to send me. Am I being silly? My Friend also has an assistant that frequently sends stuff between the office and the location I sent it to is only a few minutes drive from her home. Thoughts?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: I sent it to you, why can't you pick it up?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
She paid you for the treats, and I presume she thanked you for the favor right?

I think its really going to far to be upset she's not as eager to enjoy them as you think she should be.  She might be waiting to enjoy them for a special occasion - even if they were in her possession she might not eat them right away.

Salvage3

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 12:36:39 PM »
In all honesty, I think you might be a little overreacting.  There can be all kinds of reasons why she can't get over immediately to obtain them.  And, if they are not perishable, they will not be harmed. 

While it's very kind of you to do this, and she should certainly be thanking you for doing so, the mere fact that she has not had the opportunity to as yet enjoy them is kind of a weak point.

DavidH

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:39:23 PM »
If they are perishable, I can see why you feel put out, if not, I think you're being unreasonable since they will be just as enjoyable when she gets them.  I wouldn't hurry into my office for a non-perishable package.

sourwolf

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
I'd feel a little put out, and probably wouldn't bother to send any treats again. 

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 12:54:05 PM »
As long as she thanked you (and in this case, also paid), I wouldn't be bothered with the delay in picking it up.  She may also be waiting to enjoy the treats and having them out of sight makes the waiting easier.

Bijou

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
I don't know why, nor if it is legitimate to feel that way, but I would wonder why after all the trouble she didn't at least let me know they had arrived.  And maybe they didn't.  So I would give her the benefit of the doubt.
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 01:49:06 PM »
I think the OP is thinking "Hey, I went to some effort to get and ship these to you, but you don't want to spend much effort in actually picking them up?"

One wonders why she picked that location to ship them to!

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
I don't know why, nor if it is legitimate to feel that way, but I would wonder why after all the trouble she didn't at least let me know they had arrived.  And maybe they didn't.  So I would give her the benefit of the doubt.

Yeah, I wonder if the assistant or someone else at that location ate them, and the friend is still waiting, thinking they haven't arrived yet!

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:03:52 PM »
I have a friend that I stopped sending stuff to, because she would take weeks to pick anything up and I had no idea if it had ever arrived or not. She complained it was just too much trouble to make it to the package pickup at her apartment. I think it's legitimate to be annoyed when you go to trouble for someone and they can't be bothered to do their own small part. Just keep it in mind the next time you think about sending something to your friend. Is it worth your trouble?

doodlemor

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 02:21:01 PM »
It's understandable that you feel a bit sad and disappointed, OP.  You want to be able to think about your friend happily munching away on the treats you sent, not that the treats are sitting somewhere by themselves.

I have a lovely friend who greatly enjoys doing things for other people, but gets very uneasy when people do nice things for her.  Perhaps your friend is like this - uncomfortable as the beneficiary.

I bet that you will hear soon that she has the goodies in hand, and is enjoying them very much.

Girly

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 02:31:32 PM »
There is an office I have a number of friends working at, that I drive by at least three times a week. Drive by, as in, I drive RIGHT PAST the building.

At one time, there was a box of files in my car I either kept forgetting to drop off, or just plain didn't feel like stopping because I wanted to get home. This went on for almost a month before I finally remembered to stop

That said, my feelings would be hurt that she hadn't picked up the package yet. I hope she did say thank you, and let you know the package got there though!

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
I personally like to delay the enjoyment of treats I may get infrequently.  So if not perishable, I might put a special treat away out of sight to keep it for a day when I really needed a pick me up.  But if in my hands, I might not have the control necessary. 

Sometimes just knowing the treat is there is just as enjoyable to a person as having it. 

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:50:13 PM »
There is an office I have a number of friends working at, that I drive by at least three times a week. Drive by, as in, I drive RIGHT PAST the building.

At one time, there was a box of files in my car I either kept forgetting to drop off, or just plain didn't feel like stopping because I wanted to get home. This went on for almost a month before I finally remembered to stop

That said, my feelings would be hurt that she hadn't picked up the package yet. I hope she did say thank you, and let you know the package got there though!

That's me.

I wouldn't be upset because I am
a) forgetful
b) Often so busy that ANY extra travel is just impossible
c) I like to anticipate things so thinking about a treat just waiting for me would make me happy for two weeks

so I could easily imagine myself not fetching something for a while and can imagine other people being in the same situation.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:50:27 PM by Deetee »

Van down by the river

• This must be what going mad feels like.
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 07:23:00 PM »
UPDATE:
Well, the mystery is solved. Turns out, when she gave me the address to her office she replaced an 8 with a 9 so it showed up on my doorstep this afternoon. I'll send them out again Monday to the correct address where she assures me she will be for the next several weeks. Now I just feel silly!