Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 24131 times)

floridamom

Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2012, 07:58:16 PM »
Camlan and utkvolfan

I grew up in Raymond:) 

I just got off the phone with my mom.  She lives in Manchester.   She is funny.  Her favorite words are "I'm a survivor!".  My sister brought over some groceries yesterday for her.  My sister lives in Weare.  Mom is content as long as she has her coffee and cigs!  She is 81.  She was a kid during the great hurricane of 38 in Mystic, Ct, never mind Carol and other NE hurricanes plus blizzard of 78 as she keeps reminding me ;D  Mom moved back to NH 2 yrs after living 9 yrs down here in FL:)

I keep track of the news in NH on the Union Leader website plus WMUR.  My prayers and positive thoughts are with you all.  I know they are comparing it to the Perfect Storm.  Ironically 21 yrs almost to the date.  I was living on Lynn Beach right next to the rotary to Nahant.  One of my hs classmates from Raymond lives in Nahant.  Hoping she is well.   I still have alot of friends in the seacoast region  that I keep up with.  Wishing everyone safety and minimal damage!  Thinking of you all!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »
Just got an automated message from work; due to the state of emergency in NJ, they want us to work from home - so I'll be doing that as long as my power and Internet are up and running.  I'm wondering if perhaps I shouldn't have gotten more food, but I certainly won't starve.  Thinking of making a pot of chile as I can eat that cold if the power goes out, and its something different besides PB.

SiotehCat

« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
I also have to work tomorrow.

Surprisingly, most of our clients have shown up for their appointments during previous storms.

Dr. F.

« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2012, 08:15:04 PM »
CNN is reporting that OPM has closed Fed offices, but my Dept. website is still saying we're open tomorrow. I'm betting we're really going to be closed, and they just haven't updated the website yet. I'm staying home no matter what. My girl dog, Ariel, is really frightened of thunderstorms, and I want to keep an eye on the basement flooding situation.

I'm more concerned about the tree limbs that the landlord has been putting off dealing with that are still hanging on the trees since JUNE. They're unlikely to damage anyone's house, but may bring down a fence or two. I've only been warning him he needs to deal with this for, what, 4 1/2 months? Sheesh!  ::)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »
Interestingly, my doctor's office gave me the automated phone call a few hours ago to confirm my appointment for Tuesday morning.  Half an hour later came the announcement that public transportation will be shut down until the storm is over, which means that I can't have an appointment until after my COBRA ends.  I am not happy tonight.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
I also got a call that the store where I work is closed as well, ALL day so I know its serious since retail only closes when its really bad. But I'm happy I don't have to actually go out. and am making some chile since someone upthread gave me the idea. i can eat it cold, if need be.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #111 on: October 28, 2012, 09:12:23 PM »
Metro has suspended all bus and rail service until further notice and my workplace is closed tomorrow. Yay.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #112 on: October 28, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »
I'm in MD.  My biggest problem is I live in the basement and after that derecho this summer my basement has flooded really badly.  I stocked up on sand and put about 150 pounds of it in front of the door.

I've made roasted squash soup, bought a ton of peanut butter and cheese, and we bought some LED light strips just in case. 

kckgirl

« Reply #113 on: October 28, 2012, 09:19:38 PM »
If I have power tomorrow, I'll check in. If not, I send my best wishes for health and safety for all of us in the storm's path. Good night, all!
Maryland

lkdrymom

« Reply #114 on: October 28, 2012, 10:11:04 PM »
DS17 got a call from teh grocery store he works at and they said they would be closed tomorrow. That is a relief. We have a State of Emergency in NJ but I work for County government and I am sure they will expect us to show up tomorrow.

demarco

« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »
I've been reading this thread with sympathy, grateful that it wouldn't affect us.  Now DH tells me that they are predicting gusts here of over fifty mph tomorrow.  I know from experience that that is enough to throw us off the grid for days.  We are pretty well prepared but I know I'll be out looking for something we need in the morning.  I live in O.H.I.O., for crying out loud....

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2012, 11:18:47 PM »
I've been reading this thread with sympathy, grateful that it wouldn't affect us.  Now DH tells me that they are predicting gusts here of over fifty mph tomorrow.  I know from experience that that is enough to throw us off the grid for days.  We are pretty well prepared but I know I'll be out looking for something we need in the morning.  I live in O.H.I.O., for crying out loud....

Watching the World Series, I believe they were saying we've had gusts up to 55 mph in Michigan. It felt like it, although to some extent that seems like fall. I have no idea if it is really tied to Sandy.

Asharah

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2012, 11:26:35 PM »
Baltimore, 11:30pm. Rain with the wind picking up. Power still on. Won't know if I have to work tomorrow until I call in at 7:30 am.
Asharah

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2012, 11:31:41 PM »
NoVa/DC area.

Light rain.  That's it so far.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2012, 11:55:43 PM »
Another Marylander- it's pouring, but we still have power. Glad I don't have to go in tomorrow.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls