Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 24373 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #120 on: October 29, 2012, 12:52:15 AM »
I've been reading this thread with sympathy, grateful that it wouldn't affect us.  Now DH tells me that they are predicting gusts here of over fifty mph tomorrow.  I know from experience that that is enough to throw us off the grid for days.  We are pretty well prepared but I know I'll be out looking for something we need in the morning.  I live in O.H.I.O., for crying out loud....

This storm is a combo of three weather patterns. One of which is a cold front coming down out of Canada, so I think that winds will be felt pretty far west. I know they are talking snow in the mountains. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #121 on: October 29, 2012, 06:07:35 AM »
Philly here, and M works in NJ (Gloucester County, for those closer to here), and so far we're unsure if M has work.   :-\

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #122 on: October 29, 2012, 06:36:45 AM »
I've been reading this thread with sympathy, grateful that it wouldn't affect us.  Now DH tells me that they are predicting gusts here of over fifty mph tomorrow.  I know from experience that that is enough to throw us off the grid for days.  We are pretty well prepared but I know I'll be out looking for something we need in the morning.  I live in O.H.I.O., for crying out loud....

I know, this storm is supposed to go pretty far inland for a hurricane. Right now, the projected path is right over my brother's town in upstate New York. Seems pretty weird that he will get as much, if not more of this storm, than I will on the New England coast.

Stay safe, everyone!
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

kckgirl

« Reply #123 on: October 29, 2012, 06:38:06 AM »
I am already SO tired of hearing the rain, and it's only just begun!
Maryland

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2012, 06:58:54 AM »
NYC.  No rain yet.  My apartment is so quiet with the windows closed that I miss the outside noises.

Brisvegasgal

« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2012, 08:20:18 AM »
I hope you and your loved ones stay safe over the next couple of days.

Asharah

« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »
8:30 am, Baltimore, lots of rain, some wind. Have to go get dressed for work.  ::)
Asharah

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2012, 08:51:26 AM »
NYC - just looked out the window.  Light rain and lots of wind.  Looks like Armageddon and we haven't gotten the real deal yet.

lkdrymom

« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2012, 09:11:35 AM »
Ehell has frozen over....they closed my work. Just started to rain hard here.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »
DC/MD- it's pouring and blowing a fair amount. So glad we're closed!

If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Seraphia

• Unabashed cat person
« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2012, 09:21:11 AM »
Please be careful out there everyone.

We're just getting rain, rain, rain, wind and oh yeah, more rain. But that's all the way into OH, not out by the ocean.
Ancora Imparo - I am still learning

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #131 on: October 29, 2012, 09:24:26 AM »
No school for the boys, but DH had to work, hopefully not for too long and he'll be able to get home at a decent hour. It's just pouring right now, no heavy winds just yet. We're in Maryland, just west of the Appalachian trail.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #132 on: October 29, 2012, 09:39:37 AM »
North Jersey here; just started to rain, and its windy, but not super huge winds. supposed to get the worst of it tonight.  working from home, but starting to worry i won't have enough food if the power goes out for any prolonged length of time! for me, the anticipation is worse than the actual event.

Talked to my mom who's in the Hampton Roads VA area; just rain and wind, but thankfully no power outages.  nothing we can do but sit tight and wait.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #133 on: October 29, 2012, 09:49:20 AM »
NYC.  Nasty grey sky but no rain yet.  Watching the first half of the 1991 Dark Shadows on the Chiller Channel.  Good day for that.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #134 on: October 29, 2012, 09:55:46 AM »
NOVA here. My work is closed, but DH went in thinking he'd leave around 1 before the strong winds are supposed to start. Right now it's rainy and windy and the power's still on. We stocked up on non-perishable food, but by the time we got to the stores (Saturday) all 3 places we tried were completely out of bottled water and batteries. We have 2 flashlights, an unfortunately small supply of extra batteries, and a bunch of candles. Hopefully our water will remain drinkable. We're in a high rise, so no worries about flooding or tree damage, but also no way to cook without electricity. We might have several days of peanut butter sandwiches and granola bars ahead of us.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver