Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 25403 times)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
Central NJ. Wind, a little rain, DH went in to work. (why didn't they close?! The company's a pharmaceutical, not state emergency headquarters!) He thinks they'll get sent home early.

Kids don't have school today or tomorrow.

Our power flickered about 45 minutes ago. So far, so good.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2012, 10:22:56 AM »
NOVA here. My work is closed, but DH went in thinking he'd leave around 1 before the strong winds are supposed to start. Right now it's rainy and windy and the power's still on. We stocked up on non-perishable food, but by the time we got to the stores (Saturday) all 3 places we tried were completely out of bottled water and batteries. We have 2 flashlights, an unfortunately small supply of extra batteries, and a bunch of candles. Hopefully our water will remain drinkable. We're in a high rise, so no worries about flooding or tree damage, but also no way to cook without electricity. We might have several days of peanut butter sandwiches and granola bars ahead of us.

that makes 2 of us!  I'm trying to cook and eat while i can to save the other stuff if I need it!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #137 on: October 29, 2012, 10:28:49 AM »

that makes 2 of us!  I'm trying to cook and eat while i can to save the other stuff if I need it!

We were originally told it would hit Sat night so I was out of perishables by yesterday evening. Now they're saying late tonight and we don't want to break into the "power outtage" supplies until we have to so DH just went to the store for lunch and dinner stuff for today. At least, with the freezer empty, we were able to get 4 bags of ice in there!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #138 on: October 29, 2012, 10:45:06 AM »
They sent M home because they're shutting down the roads around here, and likely they won't be reopening tomorrow at all.  So, yeah.

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
« Reply #139 on: October 29, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
Upstate NY (Binghamton) here - a little wind but nothing crazy, no rain yet, but really dark sky. I'm at work/school now, but it seems very likely they will close campus today at noon. Which just means I have to haul all these books home and work from there...

Kaypeep

« Reply #140 on: October 29, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
My mom and sister are on the water in a zone A area of NYC.  My sister is currently posting pics on FB of the flooded street and my old neighbor just posted pics of his destroyed dock.  I'm beyond annoyed that mom and sis won't leave because mom suffered a stroke and is disabled now (walks with a cane and limp) and sister can't swim and is very useless with decision making, can't drive, etc.  My only consolation is that everyone else on the block refused to evacuate so they are not alone.  My old neighborhood has seen many storms and people always ride it out.  But now I can't relax until this is all over because I'll be worrying about them.  Sigh....

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #141 on: October 29, 2012, 11:06:14 AM »
I lucked out this morning.  I came back from grocery shopping yesterday and it was raining fairly hard so I opted not to get my snow tires out of the shed for installation today.  When I went out this morning, it was just spitting a little bit and I didn't get wet.  So if some of the rain turns to snow, I'll have the correct tires on my car!

It's really dark here right now but not raining, though the wind is starting to pick up.  The local conservation authority has put out flood warnings because so much rain is expected tonight and tomorrow.  I'm a little worried about my Dad - he lives in a very treed, rural area and depends on a sump pump to keep his basement dry.  He's got a generator but needs help to get it going.  I know the neighbours will give him a hand, if needed, but I still worry a little bit.  I'm not worried about food for him - he's got camping gear and a grill and a covered spot outside to set them up, if needed.  He'll have lots of stuff in the freezer and lots of canned soups and with the generator going, he can get water from the well.  He's also got supplemental wood heating so he's actually better off than me since I don't have an alternate heat source.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #142 on: October 29, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
I'm in northern Vermont. I think everyone up here is still a little shocked from what happened with Irene last year, so people are being pretty careful.

We've done what we can to button up while still building. We've got enough gas to power the generator for a week if we're careful, and probably longer if we siphoned out of the cars. We've got canned food enough to last a month, and water purification tablets. So, we're probably fine if we can get through the storm. I just worry how bad it will be for flooding. There are still places they are repairing from last year, and lot of the fixes after Irene weren't permanent. 
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #143 on: October 29, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »
DC here. It's almost 11:30 and I still have power, but the worst is yet to come.  :-\

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #144 on: October 29, 2012, 11:27:40 AM »
DC/Northern Va.  Rain and winds are getting a tiny bit stronger but things are still relatively calm.  Boys and I are watching "Day After Tomorrow." 

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #145 on: October 29, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »
DH is coming home from work early. He works in Anne Arundel county now, so he's about 2 hours from home. Hopefully he'll get home safe.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #146 on: October 29, 2012, 12:02:20 PM »
It's been completely dead here. My street is one that everyone uses to get places and is right near the Post Office, but the only vehicle I've heard is the leaf truck and a handful of cars.  :-\

Stay warm, everyone!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Lovemykids

• Formerly known as Lovemygirls
« Reply #147 on: October 29, 2012, 12:04:28 PM »
There's a Hurricane Sandy Facebook page that has photos of flooding in NJ, etc., if anyone is interested in live updates.

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #148 on: October 29, 2012, 12:06:18 PM »
Boston public schools are closed and the MBTA suspends all service at 2pm, but my work is open all day.  :'( I can hear the wind whistling around my building already. Very creepy.

I'm very nervous about my brother. I can't remember if he was flying into Detroit after his vacation yesterday or today; hopefully it was yesterday! (And hopefully he'll stick to high land—I read that the Lake Michigan could end up with over 30-foot waves!)
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #149 on: October 29, 2012, 12:14:18 PM »
Boys and I are watching "Day After Tomorrow."

LOL.  Whatever happens, it won't be quite that bad.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario