Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 23349 times)

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
^ That's what I forgot, fill the bathtub! (we have well water, too.) Last year we were melting snow to flush the toilets.

Thx for the reminder!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

magicdomino

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 03:23:13 PM »
I was just getting the freezer stocked again.  The power better not go out for more a few hours.   >:(

The majority of the Halloween decorations were supposed to go out this weekend.  Looks like I'll be doing a lot of work on Halloween afternoon instead -- assuming the rain has gone away by then.  The New Englanders on a Halloween forum are worried about the holiday being shut down completely, since Sandy will still be around their area on Wednesday.

Has anyone esle heard it called Frankenstorm?  I like it.  Besides the Halloween connection, the storm has aspects of two different things combined into one deadly whole. 

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »
I hope we don't get anything very bad (I live pretty far inland), but it looks like we're going to have at least freezing rain, if not snow. My thoughts and prayers are with the people who are bearing the brunt of this storm.

I was just getting the freezer stocked again.  The power better not go out for more a few hours.   >:(

The majority of the Halloween decorations were supposed to go out this weekend.  Looks like I'll be doing a lot of work on Halloween afternoon instead -- assuming the rain has gone away by then.  The New Englanders on a Halloween forum are worried about the holiday being shut down completely, since Sandy will still be around their area on Wednesday.

Has anyone esle heard it called Frankenstorm?  I like it.  Besides the Halloween connection, the storm has aspects of two different things combined into one deadly whole. 

Yup. And I hope Halloween won't need to be cancelled for you all.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 03:33:19 PM »
Flydell, do you have a bathtub?  If you do, fill the bathtub with water ahead of time and use a bucket to flush the toilets.  You can either refill the tank or you can just pour into the bowl.  The pressure from pouring in the water flushes the toilet.  Unless you also have to pump the sewage and it isn't just gravity fed.  Or you can use rainbarrel water, if you have one set up.

Being comfortably inland, I don't have to worry but for everyone on the East Coast?  Stay safe!

We only have one elderly tub and it won't hold water for very long, it's ok for baths, but not for water storage.  We always have containers of water on hand, and there's a creek nearby if we get desperate to flush.  I've seen an item called WaterBob that's a big collapsible water container that fits inside a bathtub.  We may end up getting one of those eventually.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 03:36:43 PM »
I'm near Richmond, VA and I think the biggest risk to us is a loss of power. They're saying heavy rain and 25-45mph winds which will knock down a lot of trees. Today I made sure the flashlights and extra batteries were accessable and I stocked up on canned and boxed goods, water and propane canisters for our camp stove (outside or in the open garage!). We've also got a fire pit with a grill we can cook on after the storm passes.

At the store there were people with 2 carts full of emergency supplies and people doing their normal shopping, apparently unconcerned. I've only been here a year and don't know what to expect. I've brought in all the lawn chairs and whatnot and I read you should fill the tubs with water for cleaning and bathing with so I guess I'll do that Saturday night or Sunday morning. Not sure what else to do?

My thoughts are with those of you in the potential path of the double-whammy "super storm" they're predicting!

My mom is in the Hampton Roads area, and she's also prepared.  She was lucky during Irene last year; she only lost power for 48 hours. She also has great neighbors, so I'm confident she'll be ok, if it gets bad there.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 03:43:22 PM »
Another NH person here and just waiting to see what-comes-next.  DH and I are supposed to fly out of Logan Wednesday for family weekend with DS1 -- and there are a lot of NYC area families.  Last year I talked to freshman parents who were at the school on the west coast during both Irene and the Halloween storm.  One CT area mom quipped that she'd always be nervous about what future events there meant for weather at home.

Safe wishes to everyone!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »

My little New Hampshire town decided, for unknown reasons, to hold trick or treating on Tuesday night, instead of Wednesday. Now people at Town Hall are in a swivet over this. I've had two emails today telling us that Halloween will still be Tuesday night, but stay tuned as that may change.

It's candy. It will keep. It's not the most important thing to be worrying about right now.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
I'm in Binghamton, New York - worried about flooding, since we had very significant flooding last year and I was evacuated, but not freaking out too much. I've been through some nasty storms.  ;) Plus, even though my area was evacuated, my little house didn't flood at all.

Actually, I'd love some advice. My stove is electric, which means that if I lose power, I lose the ability to cook anything. Anyone have any suggestions on foods that don't need preparation? I've got peanut butter, bread, pop tarts, and crackers but I'd like to have some "real" food on hand that I could eat without preparation. I just can't think of anything that doesn't require at the very least hot water or warming up (like Ramen or canned soup).

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 04:10:36 PM »
Do you have a grill/barbecue?  You can do a lot on that!

Canned baked beans, stews and chili don't need to be cooked - they might not be as palatable cold but they are edible.  Do you have a fondue pot?  I'm sure that would work to heat stuff up, even if it is the chocolate one with only a tea light as a heat source.  Might be worth the investment, if you don't want to purchase a camping stove.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2012, 04:13:24 PM »
I'm in Binghamton, New York - worried about flooding, since we had very significant flooding last year and I was evacuated, but not freaking out too much. I've been through some nasty storms.  ;) Plus, even though my area was evacuated, my little house didn't flood at all.

Actually, I'd love some advice. My stove is electric, which means that if I lose power, I lose the ability to cook anything. Anyone have any suggestions on foods that don't need preparation? I've got peanut butter, bread, pop tarts, and crackers but I'd like to have some "real" food on hand that I could eat without preparation. I just can't think of anything that doesn't require at the very least hot water or warming up (like Ramen or canned soup).

I wouldn't suggest this normally, but you can cook in your fireplace, if you have one. That's highly dangerous, though, so don't do it unless you have to.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

magicdomino

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »

Do you have a grill?  If the power is still off when the storm has moved on, you can use it to cook all that meat thawing in the freezer.   :) 

Go ahead and boil some eggs before the storm hits.  Boiled eggs need to be kept cool, but they are fine served cold.  Any ham that is already in the fridge can be served on the side (Don't run out and buy any though; if your refrigerator is anything like mine, you have enough potentially spoiled food to worry about.)

While it is probably too late now, next time you are at Target, Walmart, or a sporting supply store, pick up a little propane-powered camp stove (and a little can of propane, of course).  I have a little single-burner cheapie, and it heats a pot of water as nicely as my stove.  Camping stoves do need to be used outside with plenty of ventilation, just like a grill. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »
1 can of corn (or defrosted frozen corn), 1 can of black beans and 1 jar of salsa makes a really nice topping for chips, or a filling for soft torillas.  Add a can of chicken, and super yum!

Heck canned chicken with some honey mustard dressing makes a nice sandwich.
Canned or pouch tuna, with mayo (either kept outside if your power goes out and its cold enough, or stock up on packets) or with any salad dressing is a nice meal - eat as a sandwich or over greens.

GratefulMaria

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2012, 04:23:02 PM »

Canned chicken or tuna and bagged pre-cooked rice (I think Uncle Ben's makes several kinds).  You can add olive oil (keeps at room temp) and seasonings.  I also get the smallest jars of grated Parmesan cheese if I think I'll go through one in a single use.  Does your produce section or natural food store have dehydrated fruits or vegetables?  Those are very expensive but really good.  My guilty pleasure.  Failing that, perhaps mixing in a can of drained vegetables with the above.  If I heated it all it would be a casserole, if chilled a rice salad -- room temp, I don't know!  Anyway, there's prep and cleanup with these, but no cooking or cold storage needed.  Oh!  And olives.

Do you have running water if you lose power?  Maybe some powdered milk with dry cereal, too.

We have a wood stove with a cooking surface, so I'm mentally planning some menus here.

magicdomino

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »

I wouldn't suggest this normally, but you can cook in your fireplace, if you have one. That's highly dangerous, though, so don't do it unless you have to.

Not necessarily dangerous.  Our ancestors managed it.  However, you can't just stick a charcoal hibachi on the hearth and call it good.  You need a full fire to create a draft that takes the smoke and carbon monoxide up the chimney, and high winds can create downdrafts.  However, cast iron dutch ovens can be nestled in the ashes, and you can buy special grates to hold a cast iron skillet.  I was seriously tempted to get a roaster that sits in front of the fire, but couldn't justify a couple hundred dollars on something that might get used once every two or three years.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 04:25:31 PM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-worst-ways-new-yorkers-prepared-for-the-last-h

In keeping with topic, ^ some funny ways NYer's prepared for last year's Irene