Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 20670 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #150 on: October 29, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
Baltimore here,

It's super windy and there are leaves everywhere.  It's also been raining for about 12 hours.  No power outages yet.
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #151 on: October 29, 2012, 12:20:01 PM »
Central NJ. Wind, a little rain, DH went in to work. (why didn't they close?! The company's a pharmaceutical, not state emergency headquarters!) He thinks they'll get sent home early.

Kids don't have school today or tomorrow.

Our power flickered about 45 minutes ago. So far, so good.

DH's company is closing at 2. I feel better, and will feel relieved once he's home!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #152 on: October 29, 2012, 12:25:13 PM »
There's a Hurricane Sandy Facebook page that has photos of flooding in NJ, etc., if anyone is interested in live updates.

There's more than one FB page :)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Asharah

« Reply #153 on: October 29, 2012, 12:40:38 PM »
Baltimore again. Got home from work a few minutes ago. They sent us home at noon. Guess I'll internet surf and watch TV until the power goes out.  ::)
Asharah

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #154 on: October 29, 2012, 01:02:58 PM »
Thanks to my brother posting a video of Mike Fink (from Davy Crockett & River Pirates) singing, the boys want to see it. We have it on VHS and thankfully the power's still on. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYRtziLzSjQ
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #155 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
Boys and I are watching "Day After Tomorrow."

LOL.  Whatever happens, it won't be quite that bad.

That's what we said! ;)

SleepyKitty

• Quid plura?
« Reply #156 on: October 29, 2012, 01:12:13 PM »
Checking in again - Central NY is still okay. Wind picking up, and my campus closed at noon and sent everyone home. Of course, we're not supposed to get it until later, but for now power is on and I'm taking advantage of cooking what may be my last hot meal for a few days. :)

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #157 on: October 29, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
Just got an email, the boys are out of school tomorrow and Dh doesn't think he'll be working tomorrow. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

guihong

• Super Hero!
« Reply #158 on: October 29, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
I've heard rumors, maybe exaggeraed, that Atlantic City has been completely wrecked :(, including the boardwalk.  Of course, those are just structures; the people are much more important.

Be safe!

Cat-Fu

• My cat is a ninja
« Reply #159 on: October 29, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
Heading out into the storm now to make my way home. So, SO, glad that my boss said I could leave (he just left himself). Wish me luck!
“Poetry is a sword of lightning, ever unsheathed, which consumes the scabbard that would contain it.” PBS

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #160 on: October 29, 2012, 02:07:22 PM »
Heading out into the storm now to make my way home. So, SO, glad that my boss said I could leave (he just left himself). Wish me luck!

Good luck!
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

magicdomino

« Reply #161 on: October 29, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »
DC/Northern Virginia:  Wind has picked up, and the electricity blinked once.  My plan is to finish the pint of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie in the upstairs freezer by this evening.  This time, I'm eating the ice cream first!.

sourwolf

« Reply #162 on: October 29, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
Looks like things are getting pretty bad along the East Coast and they are only expected to get worse the closer it gets to high tide (I think that's at like 10pm tonight) The fact that tomorrow is the full moon isn't helping either.  Here is a photoset from cnn.com.  I will never understand people who don't take evacuation orders seriously.  http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/25/americas/gallery/weather-sandy/index.html

Sebastienne

« Reply #163 on: October 29, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »
My in-laws live on the South Shore of Long Island, a block from the water. Literally, last week, they finished renovations from Irene flooding. Despite the mandatory evacuation for their town, they decided to stick things out at home. We're across the country, so there's not much we can do, but we're super worried about them. I just saw a picture of their town on the news, and the water is already knee deep...

heartmug

« Reply #164 on: October 29, 2012, 02:37:31 PM »
DC/Northern Virginia:  Wind has picked up, and the electricity blinked once.  My plan is to finish the pint of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Fudge Brownie in the upstairs freezer by this evening.  This time, I'm eating the ice cream first!.

Sounds like a good plan  ;)
The trouble is not that the world is full of fools, it's just that lightening isn't distributed right.  - Mark Twain