News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 17, 2017, 07:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 58570 times)

Dr. F.

Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2012, 05:36:28 PM »
Feds just closed all of the offices again tomorrow, so I'm not working tomorrow either. We've had 3" of rain thus far, and the winds are kicking up to 50 mph.

I'm astonished by the number of neighbors that still had Halloween decorations out at noon today, as well as campaign signs. Heaven only knows where those things are going to end up.

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2012, 05:59:20 PM »
Public transportation was shut down last night and will not be restored until 12 hours after the end of the storm.   That's how long it takes to get it up to speed for trains to run again.

kckgirl

« Reply #182 on: October 29, 2012, 06:08:25 PM »
Our neighbors put out a whole yard full of Halloween decorations every year. They were only up for a few days before they had to take them down for the storm.
Maryland

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #183 on: October 29, 2012, 06:13:11 PM »
My church choir director's big chimes that sound like church bells came down from the force of the wind half an hour ago.  :-\
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

trailgrrl

« Reply #184 on: October 29, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »
Hang on you guys :)   I called my son in Southern Virginia for an update this morning and got a verbal eyeroll "Mom I'm FINE. There's not even any wind yet."  I was going to check in with him again tomorrow for an update. 

My friend in Connecticut has evacuated with her mother to a hotel in a safer area. 

Thanks for the updates from the 'Front' so to speak.   I hope the damage is minimal and no one loses power for an extended period of time.

Asharah

« Reply #185 on: October 29, 2012, 06:36:36 PM »
From Baltimore, wind picking up, lights still on.
Asharah

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2012, 06:42:22 PM »
Hang on you guys :)   I called my son in Southern Virginia for an update this morning and got a verbal eyeroll "Mom I'm FINE. There's not even any wind yet."  I was going to check in with him again tomorrow for an update. 

My friend in Connecticut has evacuated with her mother to a hotel in a safer area. 

Thanks for the updates from the 'Front' so to speak.   I hope the damage is minimal and no one loses power for an extended period of time.

We've had light wind and rain on and off all day, that's it. They're currently predicting significant wind overnight but the only real threat is the power going out. They also said it could start tapering off as early as noon tomorrow.  :)

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #187 on: October 29, 2012, 07:37:09 PM »
I would like to make a respectful request that no one talk about people overreacting.  We've already had people injured and/or killed from falling trees.  Cars are underwater in NYC.  Western Maryland is currently having a blizzard.  There are over 3 million people without power for God knows how long.

Could it have been worse?  Yes.  Always could.  Personally I think it was, and still is, quite bad enough.
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

MOM21SON

« Reply #188 on: October 29, 2012, 07:40:05 PM »
I would like to make a respectful request that no one talk about people overreacting.  We've already had people injured and/or killed from falling trees.  Cars are underwater in NYC.  Western Maryland is currently having a blizzard.  There are over 3 million people without power for God knows how long.

Could it have been worse?  Yes.  Always could.  Personally I think it was, and still is, quite bad enough.

Did I miss something?

lkdrymom

« Reply #189 on: October 29, 2012, 07:48:56 PM »
West Central Jersey checking in. Wind is really picking up. Lights flickered a few times but we still have power. 

mmswm

« Reply #190 on: October 29, 2012, 08:07:39 PM »
I also appreciate all the updates "from the front".  I have friends and family all up and down the East Coast and I've been very worried all day.  I'm most worried about my aunt who's in Manhattan. The last update we got from her was about 6 hours ago, and the pictures I've seen look awful.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Venus193

• Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #191 on: October 29, 2012, 08:11:51 PM »
Some of my TV channels are blacked out (probably due to the location of their transmitters) including NY1 News, which normally has the best weather reports for this area.  We're supposed to be at maximum high tide right now.  Subways in lower Manhattan are flooding.

Oy vey.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #192 on: October 29, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »

Goodness I hope nobody would downplay this!! My area (Richmond, VA) is faring much better than initially predicted, but I still thoroughly prepared. Anybody who poo-pooed me for having done so would get an earful. As for the NE states my gosh I can't imagine it being much worse.  :(

sidi-ji

« Reply #193 on: October 29, 2012, 08:33:56 PM »
At the northern tip of Manhattan.  Ferocious winds gusting above 50 mph, some rain.  I can hear things striking our building ,..it sounds as though maybe tree limbs, street signs .   I am more worried about my daughter in NJ.  Although PSE&G sunk 60' utility poles after  2 lengthy power outages last year(falling trees took down many poles), wow,  the power lines are still vulnerable.  Stay safe everyone.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #194 on: October 29, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »
M works in Jersey, so we got set for M getting stuck.  We filled a garment bag with bedding (pillow, blankets), we filled a suitcase with a few days of clothes (or one really WET day!), we filled a bag with food that would keep (i.e., bread, PB, J), and we filled a bad with toiletries.  We also filled a cooler with water and those refreezable ice packs.

And then M got sent home a half hour after getting there.   ::)