Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 23521 times)

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #300 on: November 03, 2012, 08:05:51 PM »
I've been calling my parents' home phone and cell phone every day this week and would get a recorded message.

This evening I called and Their cell phone rang, and Mom said "Hello?"  It was such a relief to hear her voice.

She said that her and Dad couldn't take the cold anymore, so they are at my sister's and brother-in-law's house until their small town in the northern part of Hunterdon County, NJ gets power back, possibly by Wednesday.

She said that gas rationing was going on. If your license plate ended in an odd number, you could get gas today. If it ended in an even number, you would have to wait until tomorrow. There is a gas station not far from Sister's house, and Mom said someone was at the entrance of it, checking license plates.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #301 on: November 03, 2012, 09:11:20 PM »
That's a good system, and easy for NJ to look for, isn't the entire state full service?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #302 on: November 03, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »
That's a good system, and easy for NJ to look for, isn't the entire state full service?

it is, but I can tell you, that won't stop anyone from trying! I'm an odd, but couldn't go today, so i have to wait until Monday.  Which is fine, as I plan to work from home, and tomorrow have nowhere to go!  its not a shortage, per say, but a power issue. only 25% of stations in Northern NJ have power, and you can't use generators to get them up and running.  hopefully as the week goes on, more power will be restored, and more stations open, which will make things better.

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #303 on: November 03, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »
Now we are hearing stories about people volunteering to help and just popping in out of the blue, and some reporters are claiming they are being turned away for political or other seemingly stupid reasons.

It is frustrating for the kind people who made preparations and traveled that far and are turned away, but there are many reasons. Even usually reliable news sources don't always get the whole picture.

Are the volunteers even qualified? Do they know the codes for the area? Are they insured? Did they bring all of their own equipment and materials? Do they have a place to stay or eat or bring their own fuel and water? If not, they become part of the problem.

I have so many horror stories to tell about good intentioned people who didn't get clearance or plan ahead at all. I was at one tornado site where a guy showed up in flip flops and shorts. Right. Broken glass all over the place, chainsawing to be done. We had gloves, boots, hard hats, and were trained. Yes, it was 100 degrees out, but you keep hydrated and take lots of breaks. Fewer people get sick from the heat than get hurt by no or little safety gear.

Also, the fake charities and shoddy shady repairmen are coming out of the woodwork. I hope the homeowners are aware, and that the kind souls who want to donate cash look into the percentage of the donation that goes into the charity.

Hugs and prayers, again, for all survivors, and admiration for your strength. Thank you for keeping up with your personal stories.

I agree, and I think that's true re volunteers in even non-emergency situations.

Even in a non-emergency situation (such as people who are eager to volunteer at a hospital, library, museum etc.) - someone has to co-ordinate, organise and supervise all these people.  So yes, there can be such a thing as "too many" volunteers.  In a situation where volunteers must be heavily supervised (such as a hospital or nursing home) - you (generic you) just can't have people wandering around all over the place - you have to know who they've been interacting with, what they've been doing, etc.  In an emergency situation - all the more so.  Eagerness is not enough - do they have any real training, are they familiar with the equipment, etc.?  The real-rescue team can really do without volunteers who will quite possibly end up having to be rescued themselves.

Many towns (mine, for example) offer free frequent courses - such as two evenings, perhaps - for neighbourhood preparedness in situations such as earthquakes or major storms.  (And no, I haven't taken it........ :-\ - okay, one brief session at the library about 15 years ago but that doesn't really count; many people have taken the more comprehensive course).  These are the people who should be responding in a emergency situation, rather than well-meaning individuals who figure that someone in authority will give them a task.  It just doesn't work that way.  I read about the cancellation of the NYC marathon this morning and figured that this would be a terribly unpopular decision.  However, I think it was the right one.

And I too have many good thoughts to the people who have lost loved ones, as well as those who are living with minimal amenities these days.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #304 on: November 04, 2012, 01:26:23 AM »
Now we are hearing stories about people volunteering to help and just popping in out of the blue, and some reporters are claiming they are being turned away for political or other seemingly stupid reasons.

It is frustrating for the kind people who made preparations and traveled that far and are turned away, but there are many reasons. Even usually reliable news sources don't always get the whole picture.

Are the volunteers even qualified? Do they know the codes for the area? Are they insured? Did they bring all of their own equipment and materials? Do they have a place to stay or eat or bring their own fuel and water? If not, they become part of the problem.

I have so many horror stories to tell about good intentioned people who didn't get clearance or plan ahead at all. I was at one tornado site where a guy showed up in flip flops and shorts. Right. Broken glass all over the place, chainsawing to be done. We had gloves, boots, hard hats, and were trained. Yes, it was 100 degrees out, but you keep hydrated and take lots of breaks. Fewer people get sick from the heat than get hurt by no or little safety gear.

I work in the volunteering field and insurance is the big big problem. And you hear of so many things going wrong after a big event like this. And where do they stay? Sometimes all the hotel rooms are booked out by volunteers 'helping' out, leaving no room for the 'victims'. Yes, it's great to help, but unless that help is coordinated it can often be a hindrance.

Victoria

mw8242

« Reply #305 on: November 04, 2012, 07:04:04 AM »
Hoboken,NJ here.

Power restored Friday night but no heat or hot water. The community has really come together. I have friends still w/o power and it's not expected back for a few more days still. It's so sad to see people's things piled high on the curb - the flooding was just awful.

I grew up along the shore near Sandy Hook and went to college there. Seeing so much wreckage is terrible. A lot of fantastic places were destroyed.

I hope everyone is safe!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #306 on: November 04, 2012, 07:35:09 AM »
Hoboken,NJ here.

Power restored Friday night but no heat or hot water. The community has really come together. I have friends still w/o power and it's not expected back for a few more days still. It's so sad to see people's things piled high on the curb - the flooding was just awful.

I grew up along the shore near Sandy Hook and went to college there. Seeing so much wreckage is terrible. A lot of fantastic places were destroyed.

I hope everyone is safe!

Glad you got your power back! here's hoping the rest comes back soon!  I live in Morris County, but have lived in Jersey most of my life.  I have friends who own a restaurant in Hoboken, and they've spent the last few days cleaning out the mud, etc. 

So sad about the shore, it can be rebuilt, but will never be the same. 

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #307 on: November 04, 2012, 07:38:16 AM »
Power was restored to the East Village the other night and my friends and I talked yesterday.  They have a gas stove so they were able to cook although they didn't have heat or hot water.  They allowed their neighbor to come in to cook because she had an electric stove.

A friend of theirs refused to evacuate a high rise in the Rockaways despite their repeated invitation to stay with them.  He and his family were stuck in a 19th floor apartment with no power and no running water with a flooded basement and first floor.  They can leave the building now and he will be back at work tomorrow but this struck me as really odd.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #308 on: November 04, 2012, 08:08:54 AM »
Power was restored to the East Village the other night and my friends and I talked yesterday.  They have a gas stove so they were able to cook although they didn't have heat or hot water.  They allowed their neighbor to come in to cook because she had an electric stove.

A friend of theirs refused to evacuate a high rise in the Rockaways despite their repeated invitation to stay with them.  He and his family were stuck in a 19th floor apartment with no power and no running water with a flooded basement and first floor.  They can leave the building now and he will be back at work tomorrow but this struck me as really odd.
One of my work colleagues (in NJ) is still without water, phone electricity and refuses to evacuate, despite repeated offers from friends and colleagues. she is afraid of looters.

my brother (also in NJ, different county) is without phone and electricity - apparently brother has to get to work somehow but SIL's work is in a city that has no power.  They moved the kids to friends and were roughing it out at home but got very very cold and no way to heat so they moved to other friends on friday.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #309 on: November 04, 2012, 08:12:49 AM »
Wow - looking through pictures online of the havoc caused by sandy, and i see what I'm pretty sure is the house i used to live in, with a HUGE tree in front of it.  My friend who still lives there told me a tree fell, and its the right street.  scary!  anouther house down the block took a direct hit from a tree.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #310 on: November 04, 2012, 10:34:52 AM »

Not odd at all.  Some people just really prefer their own place even with no power or water.  The stress of being someplace different is probably worst to them.  The water in the basement and first floor wouldn't bother them since they are on the 19th floor unless they had to leave.  But I am sure they had a breeze and supplies with bottled water etc.  I lived without running water and electricity more times than I care to count for weeks at a time.  It isn't odd to me.

ETA:  Breeze as in cool air being that high up, but i realized it was winter up by you and not blazing hot summers as it was for me down South.  So that part wouldn't apply.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #311 on: November 04, 2012, 11:03:33 AM »
It seems that the cold is one of the things they are worried about in a lot of NY.  It gets *cold*, and there's no heat, they can't make a fire in those high-rises or use a propane heater or anything, at least not safely, and there's another storm coming.

kajunchick

« Reply #312 on: November 04, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »
How are all the power outages going to affect the election (practically, not politically). Do those people just not get to vote?
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.

ACBNYC

« Reply #313 on: November 04, 2012, 06:35:33 PM »
How are all the power outages going to affect the election (practically, not politically). Do those people just not get to vote?

New Jersey is allowing paper ballots to be faxed or emailed--residents first have to request the ballot and have the request approved. In New York as far as I can tell--Long Beach and Staten Island for example--the polling places are moving if the original location was destroyed.

kajunchick

« Reply #314 on: November 04, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »
Oh, I was wondering how they would handle that.
Everybody in this family needs to just calm down and eat some fruit or something.