Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 23971 times)

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #315 on: November 04, 2012, 06:55:41 PM »
The Space channel (Canada's sci fi channel) decided to show "Deep Impact" today. Is it just me, or is that kind of a bad choice, given it has a rather vivid scene of NYC getting totally flooded?
Given what just happened, they might have wanted to pick another movie, and show Deep Impact another time.

ACBNYC

« Reply #316 on: November 04, 2012, 07:01:41 PM »
Here are the new polling locations for those in NYC affected--it's a downloadable .pdf, the second link on the left of the page:

http://vote.nyc.ny.us/html/temp_hours/temp_hours.shtml

lkdrymom

« Reply #317 on: November 04, 2012, 07:12:18 PM »
School will finally open(Frenchtown) on MOnday although 90 minutes late. They said the buses might not be able to get to all the kids because of impassible roads.  Grocery stores finally got some supplies in. I went out on Friday and had a very hard time finding milk.

Does anyone know how long this even odd thing will be in effect in NJ?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #318 on: November 04, 2012, 09:48:48 PM »
School will finally open(Frenchtown) on MOnday although 90 minutes late. They said the buses might not be able to get to all the kids because of impassible roads.  Grocery stores finally got some supplies in. I went out on Friday and had a very hard time finding milk.

Does anyone know how long this even odd thing will be in effect in NJ?

My guess would be until most power has been restored.  I'm an odd, so even though I had the most free time today, I couldn't get gas. Will have to try tomrorow and hope the 1/4 tank I have is enough until i can get some1

lkdrymom

« Reply #319 on: November 05, 2012, 07:00:18 AM »
It is hit and miss here for gas. At 3pm there is a line and at 7 no line.

The school sent out a list of roads that you can't through and some are major roads. Our community center is now a shelter taking the overflow from the flemington County shelter.

Jaelle

« Reply #320 on: November 05, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
Hoboken,NJ here.

Power restored Friday night but no heat or hot water. The community has really come together. I have friends still w/o power and it's not expected back for a few more days still. It's so sad to see people's things piled high on the curb - the flooding was just awful.

I grew up along the shore near Sandy Hook and went to college there. Seeing so much wreckage is terrible. A lot of fantastic places were destroyed.

I hope everyone is safe!

Glad you got your power back! here's hoping the rest comes back soon!  I live in Morris County, but have lived in Jersey most of my life.  I have friends who own a restaurant in Hoboken, and they've spent the last few days cleaning out the mud, etc. 

So sad about the shore, it can be rebuilt, but will never be the same.

Little brother lives in Hoboken ... fortunately, in a fourth-floor apartment, so his stuff was spared, but the building was damaged and he doesn't know when power will return. He's staying with friends in the city now.

Best wishes to all of you dealing with this.
"But there was one Elephant -- a new Elephant -- an Elephant's Child--who was full of 'satiable curtiosity, and that means he asked ever so many questions."
-- "Just So Stories," Rudyard Kipling

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #321 on: November 05, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
got gas this am. short line, and 30 mins door to door. maybe 20 in line waiting. was also able to fill up, no limits, so i'm happy.  my tank hold 18 gals so i can go almost 2 weeks on one, if i stay local.  by then things should be ok. My boss and other friends still have no power, hoping it comes back on soon.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #322 on: November 05, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »
2 of my nephews and their families live somewhat near Hackettstown, nj. One nephew said that The trucks of the company he works for drove to Byram for gas last Thursday.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:02:21 PM by AmethystAnne »

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #323 on: November 05, 2012, 05:34:59 PM »
2 of me nephews and their families live somewhat near Hackettstown, nj. One nephew said that The trucks of the company he works for drove to Byram for gas last Thursday.

It was bad last week; but seems to be getting better.  Hackettstown is a bit further out from me, but not too far.

AmethystAnne

« Reply #324 on: November 05, 2012, 08:17:36 PM »
I just talked to Mom. High Bridge now has electricity, as of 2 hours ago.

She said that their house is warm, but she is not going to take off any of her layers until she feels hot.

MOM21SON

« Reply #325 on: November 05, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
It makes me feel good to read these posts.  Normalcy will return, eventually.  Nothing will ever be the same, but the human feeling will.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #326 on: November 05, 2012, 08:50:29 PM »
I just talked to Mom. High Bridge now has electricity, as of 2 hours ago.

She said that their house is warm, but she is not going to take off any of her layers until she feels hot.

that was me on Sat when I came home.  I turned the heat up, but it was chilly for a long time!

sourwolf

« Reply #327 on: November 05, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »
Stargazer posted this in another thread, I hope it's ok to cross post it. (Basically if you click on the link you can get updates of which stations have gas.)

http://gasbuddy.com/Sandy/.

AmethystAnne

« Reply #328 on: November 05, 2012, 09:13:03 PM »
I appreciate everyone who has been able to post updates during this terrible time. My thoughts have been with you.

auntmeegs

« Reply #329 on: November 06, 2012, 07:20:51 AM »
We are now on day 9 with no power.  I thought I was in the US, I didn't realize I wad living in a third world country  >:(    can't wait for this new storm on Wednesday.