Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 20687 times)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #330 on: November 06, 2012, 09:22:33 AM »
Stargazer posted this in another thread, I hope it's ok to cross post it. (Basically if you click on the link you can get updates of which stations have gas.)

http://gasbuddy.com/Sandy/.

for those in NJ, you can also check twitter #njgas - people are posting open stations, lines, etc.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #331 on: November 06, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »
Just got power back today after 8 days. Got a lot of catching up to do!
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #332 on: November 07, 2012, 12:33:55 AM »
We have good news. Our Early Responders Team has been called.

I thought we would, but all the way to Long Island? (From central Illinois)

We are serving dinner for 33 on Sunday - with linens and china - then setting out Monday the 12 th. I will be in charge of coordinating food, gasoline, and lodging with the church which called us, so I've got a busy few days ahead! We only go to homes that the owners have requested our help.

That is good news because we don't go in until most of the emergencies are over and we can roll up our sleeves and get to work helping people get back to a normal life. We sometimes go in just as the National Guard is leaving. Homeowners are often still in shock, so it is nice to help them figure out what to do and get grounded.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #333 on: November 07, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »
That's really great, Luci!  What kind of things do you do?  How do you get involved in something like that?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #334 on: November 07, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
NY and New England are supposed to be hit with a Nor'easter today  >:(
There are mandatory evacuations by 3:00 pm today in some areas (the ones hardest hit by Sandy), and those without power are pretty much looking at no chance of power for at least 2 more days, plus they are predicting 100,000 homes loosing power from this storm (some of which only just got power back).

Everyone's going around saying "maybe the Mayans were right..."

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #335 on: November 07, 2012, 10:04:53 AM »
That's really great, Luci!  What kind of things do you do?  How do you get involved in something like that?

We do mostly destruction and salvaging of personal property, as well as listening to the homeowners' problems and frustrations. Construction cannot begin until mold spraying and a sufficient drying out period has occurred - a couple of weeks at least. We have other teams for construction, called Nomads. We all have training, pay our own way except for some meals served as a thank you to us, and our own equipment, including fuel. We are volunteers, and occasionally get a grant from UMCOR for gasoline if we go far out of our district.

We work out of the Methodist Church - UMCOR. The Baptists have a large system of ERTs also, and I think the Lutherans. We have a Jew in our team, by the way. We do pray, but if you don't, all we ask is that you be respectful. We worked with the Baptists once and they kept telling us they were going to take us down to the river to be properly Baptised. All in fun.

When our son first started the team, there were about 20. Now, in 4 years, there are over 500 in Central Illinois. We used to get a lot of calls out of district, but the movement is growing so quickly that the places we formerly would go to have enough members to take care of themselves.

I've worked floods, ice storms, tornadoes, once an abondoned house that the heir just did know how to handle (hoarding, bad roof, years of neglect), but never a huricane, which is flooding and tornado type destruction together. We cry, then get to work. We are always invited - never just show up. Our hearts are full.

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #336 on: November 07, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »
Luci, bless you and that whole team.  Truly amazing.

And prayers for everyone in the path of the Nor'easter.  We're lucky down here and just getting a glancing blow.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #337 on: November 07, 2012, 11:05:30 AM »

And prayers for everyone in the path of the Nor'easter.  We're lucky down here and just getting a glancing blow.

That seems to adding insult to injury. I hope the predictions are wrong, but if not, that the people who have to endure it are strong.

It is comforting to me to know that if I ever survive a natural disaster, there are people there to help!

I also know there are many others on this forum who provide relief but are just not at vocal as I am. Thanks to you, too.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #338 on: November 07, 2012, 11:54:44 AM »

That seems to adding insult to injury. I hope the predictions are wrong, but if not, that the people who have to endure it are strong.

It is comforting to me to know that if I ever survive a natural disaster, there are people there to help!

I also know there are many others on this forum who provide relief but are just not at vocal as I am. Thanks to you, too.

I think the coastal areas are supposed to be the hardest hit.  I'm in NW NJ and while we are supposed to get anywhere from 4-6 inches of snow, the winds are only going to be in the 20-something mph range.  I just hope its not too bad, and everyone comes out ok.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #339 on: November 07, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
There are mandatory evacuations by 3:00 pm today in some areas (the ones hardest hit by Sandy), and those without power are pretty much looking at no chance of power for at least 2 more days, plus they are predicting 100,000 homes loosing power from this storm (some of which only just got power back).

My college buddy in Westport says that they currently have about a quarter inch of rain on the ground and people are panicking and hoarding food.

I went to Target yesterday to get cat food in case the relevant subway line got knocked out again for another week.  I don't panic easily, but since 60 cans of Fancy Feast doesn't take up that much room it seemed like a good plan.

lkdrymom

« Reply #340 on: November 07, 2012, 01:13:26 PM »
Just started snowing in Flemington. Figures I have to work late tonight. Well I'll be nervous wreck for the next 7 hours.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #341 on: November 07, 2012, 02:05:38 PM »

My college buddy in Westport says that they currently have about a quarter inch of rain on the ground and people are panicking and hoarding food.

I went to Target yesterday to get cat food in case the relevant subway line got knocked out again for another week.  I don't panic easily, but since 60 cans of Fancy Feast doesn't take up that much room it seemed like a good plan.

I did that with water before Sandy.  I buy gallons of it anyway since my tap water is nasty. And I didn't have my car (in the shop) which had about 6 gallons in it, so I bought more.  I posted on FB I had about 12 gallons (which will get used) and my friend asked if I was expecting a zombie apcolypse. :)

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #342 on: November 07, 2012, 02:34:54 PM »

I did that with water before Sandy.  I buy gallons of it anyway since my tap water is nasty. And I didn't have my car (in the shop) which had about 6 gallons in it, so I bought more.  I posted on FB I had about 12 gallons (which will get used) and my friend asked if I was expecting a zombie apcolypse. :)

That scares me! People thought I was weird because I had 30+ gallons of water, a month of food, and fuel for the generator for 2-3 weeks.

The people who were on the news the next day complaining that no one had gotten them food or water yet really scares me! I can't imagine not being prepared for at least a week going into one of these storms.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #343 on: November 07, 2012, 02:50:20 PM »

That scares me! People thought I was weird because I had 30+ gallons of water, a month of food, and fuel for the generator for 2-3 weeks.

The people who were on the news the next day complaining that no one had gotten them food or water yet really scares me! I can't imagine not being prepared for at least a week going into one of these storms.

I know. While what I had would have been repetitive and not very exciting (peanut butter, dry cereal, cups of fruit, etc) i could have held out for a couple weeks or more. You were prepared!  I try and be as well, with flashlights, extra batteries, and food and water.  Thankfully it wasn't needed but I was prepared.

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #344 on: November 07, 2012, 03:54:50 PM »

I know. While what I had would have been repetitive and not very exciting (peanut butter, dry cereal, cups of fruit, etc) i could have held out for a couple weeks or more. You were prepared!  I try and be as well, with flashlights, extra batteries, and food and water.  Thankfully it wasn't needed but I was prepared.

I'm way out, and off grid. If we lose services the way we did with Irene, it'll be a month before they really get to us. There's still a bridge out in my town from that. You can still get around it, but it adds about 10 minutes to a 15 minute drive to go around the ridge rather than over.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont