Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 23947 times)

BowHuntress

Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #345 on: November 07, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
I heard from my friend (whose husband and son in law were sent to help with power) her DH last I knew was in New York, he told her that they were actually egged in a neighborhood because they felt it took them too long get there. These guys are working 16 hour days folks. They came from out of state several hours hundreds of miles away. I can't believe it how rudely some people are treating them. I know that it is a slight percentage that is acting this way but goodness I am appalled at the behavior. Now they have had some people thank them so it's not all bad.

The estimate is they won't be back home in Iowa until Thanksgiving or maybe right before Christmas.

I hope that no more storms hit the areas that have already been hit hard. You are all in my thoughts as the clean up continues.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #346 on: November 07, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
I heard from my friend (whose husband and son in law were sent to help with power) her DH last I knew was in New York, he told her that they were actually egged in a neighborhood because they felt it took them too long get there. These guys are working 16 hour days folks. They came from out of state several hours hundreds of miles away. I can't believe it how rudely some people are treating them. I know that it is a slight percentage that is acting this way but goodness I am appalled at the behavior. Now they have had some people thank them so it's not all bad.

The estimate is they won't be back home in Iowa until Thanksgiving or maybe right before Christmas.

I hope that no more storms hit the areas that have already been hit hard. You are all in my thoughts as the clean up continues.

That's horrible! As someone who lost power, albeit only for a few days, I am grateful for any and all help to get everyone's power back on. Iv'e seen people whining about how they see the guys eating, sitting in their trucks, and parked at motels.  What they don't realize is that they are people too who need to eat and rest.

I had heard too some were egged, and it makes me ashamed. i can assure you most people are frustrated with the company management, not the workers in the field. They've given up their time and left their families for who knows how long.  please tell your friend THANK YOU!!!!!!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #347 on: November 07, 2012, 04:49:40 PM »
My friend in the East Village saw some on the streets during her power outage and she said they looked as though they were working 24/7 in a combat zone.   She went without power for 4 days and didn't complain. despite having to shop  45 blocks away for food and walk home with it.

AmethystAnne

• mom, grandmother, and an enthusaistic knitter & crocheter (formerly Laura___)
  • So much yarn, not nearly enough time! :D
« Reply #348 on: November 07, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
Just started snowing in Flemington. Figures I have to work late tonight. Well I'll be nervous wreck for the next 7 hours.

How bad is the snow?

Driving home late on snowy Hunterdon County back roads? That's scary!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #349 on: November 07, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »
Just started snowing in Flemington. Figures I have to work late tonight. Well I'll be nervous wreck for the next 7 hours.

How bad is the snow?

I'm in Morris County, in the Denville/Rockaway area. Supposedly its getting nasty out.  Please be careful and drive safe!

CuriousParty

« Reply #350 on: November 07, 2012, 07:49:08 PM »

How bad is the snow?

I'm in Morris County, in the Denville/Rockaway area. Supposedly its getting nasty out.  Please be careful and drive safe!

Hey, I grew up there!  Hope you stay safe, and the storm doesn't hit too hard...

kckgirl

« Reply #351 on: November 07, 2012, 09:00:31 PM »
I just got home about 1/2 hour ago. We have a "wintry mix" here in Maryland.
Maryland

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #352 on: November 07, 2012, 11:23:48 PM »
NYC - the snow is 2-3 inches deep with another 1-2 inches expected overnight.  It started as a rain and its 32 degrees so it s really wet, heavy snow. Its weighing down all the trees since they still have leaves on them. The wind seems to have lessened but this afternoon and evening they were whipping!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #353 on: November 08, 2012, 06:25:30 AM »
My fire escape had an inch of snow on the railings last night; now it's gone and there is a little on the steps and the ground.  I have to pick up a package at the post office today but I might wait until I get back from the city this afternoon.  Waiting for Weather On the Ones as I type.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #354 on: November 08, 2012, 08:27:18 AM »
Out by me, maybe an inch of snow, and not much wind.  Roads are clear, and even with having to take time to clear the snow off my car, I still made it into work on time. Very little traffic.

lkdrymom

« Reply #355 on: November 08, 2012, 12:36:00 PM »
Turned out not so bad. My car was coated with snow but the roads were ok, just hard to see as the snow was coming down heavy.  I dreaded going down the hill to Frenchtown but it was barely snowing there and my home just had drizzle.  Worked up for nothing.

jmarvellous

« Reply #356 on: November 08, 2012, 12:43:29 PM »
So glad to hear most of you are coping OK, and I hope you all get power back and your roads are clear and safe.

Just wondering if anyone has done a roll call of eHellions who were in areas presumed to be in the storm's path. For instance, I noticed very frequent poster Thipu1 hasn't been around (or if she has, I've missed it).

Any others silent since Sandy?

BowHuntress

« Reply #357 on: November 08, 2012, 03:27:20 PM »

That's horrible! As someone who lost power, albeit only for a few days, I am grateful for any and all help to get everyone's power back on. Iv'e seen people whining about how they see the guys eating, sitting in their trucks, and parked at motels.  What they don't realize is that they are people too who need to eat and rest.

I had heard too some were egged, and it makes me ashamed. i can assure you most people are frustrated with the company management, not the workers in the field. They've given up their time and left their families for who knows how long.  please tell your friend THANK YOU!!!!!!

thank you! She is currently shipping his snow gear to him.

sourwolf

« Reply #358 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
So glad to hear most of you are coping OK, and I hope you all get power back and your roads are clear and safe.

Just wondering if anyone has done a roll call of eHellions who were in areas presumed to be in the storm's path. For instance, I noticed very frequent poster Thipu1 hasn't been around (or if she has, I've missed it).

Any others silent since Sandy?

I checked her profile and it says she hasn't been on since Oct 27th.  I seem to remember her saying she lives in Brooklyn and I know they got hit pretty hard, so there is a good chance she doesn't have power back yet.  Hopefully she is ok besides that.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #359 on: November 08, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »
We have a slight problem. Our Early Responders Team has a call to Long Island and possibly Staten Island, but we are having trouble finding out if the bridges, tunnels are open so we can get there! We are having arrangements for lodging and fuel and jobs made by the churches, but can't find out if we can actually get there.

I tried to find out if there is a site listing and mapping closures or openings and kept current, but am just getting a lot of outdated information. Here we have maps for snow and construction closures, so are hoping there is something like that for Sandy survivors. We will probably need it on our iPhones and other computers as we approach eastern New York, too, which goes without saying, I guess.

Your help is much appreciated.