Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 25224 times)

MOM21SON

Hurricane Sandy
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:57:32 PM »
Are those of you along the NE coast preparing?  If not please do.  This is very serious.  I am in SE Florida and I can tell you we have had some nasty squalls come through.  It is supposed to get worse this evening.

Stay safe!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 02:20:48 PM »
I'm not on the coast, but am in the NE, in NJ. I'm getting ready, as it does look to be a big ugly storm.  But I have to admit some of my CW's are driving me nuts with the world is going to end, worst  case scenarios.  I get its a huge storm, with the potential to do major damage, but....there's nothing you can do to stop it, except be prepared for antyhing it may throw your way!

MOM21SON

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
I'm not on the coast, but am in the NE, in NJ. I'm getting ready, as it does look to be a big ugly storm.  But I have to admit some of my CW's are driving me nuts with the world is going to end, worst  case scenarios.  I get its a huge storm, with the potential to do major damage, but....there's nothing you can do to stop it, except be prepared for antyhing it may throw your way!

Exactly!  all you can do is prepare and follow instructions by authorities.  Good Luck!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
I'm doing a whole lot of nothing to prepare, except making sure my warmest tights are clean for work next week.  I'll do some grocery shopping but that's just because its Friday and I do my grocery shopping every Friday.

alice

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
YUP-in NJ by Philly.  Going to the store tonight for food.  Haven't really been shopping since the beginning of the month, so we need stuff anyway.  We are in an area that is usually protected from severe weather, so I am hoping it stays that way.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
I'm near Richmond, VA and I think the biggest risk to us is a loss of power. They're saying heavy rain and 25-45mph winds which will knock down a lot of trees. Today I made sure the flashlights and extra batteries were accessable and I stocked up on canned and boxed goods, water and propane canisters for our camp stove (outside or in the open garage!). We've also got a fire pit with a grill we can cook on after the storm passes.

At the store there were people with 2 carts full of emergency supplies and people doing their normal shopping, apparently unconcerned. I've only been here a year and don't know what to expect. I've brought in all the lawn chairs and whatnot and I read you should fill the tubs with water for cleaning and bathing with so I guess I'll do that Saturday night or Sunday morning. Not sure what else to do?

My thoughts are with those of you in the potential path of the double-whammy "super storm" they're predicting!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
I'm near Richmond, VA and I think the biggest risk to us is a loss of power. They're saying heavy rain and 25-45mph winds which will knock down a lot of trees.

One of the little details I so love about NYC is almost all neighborhoods have buried lines - no telephone poles to be knocked down. 

I am a bit concerned over trees though - the leaves are still on the trees so if it snows, as its being predicted in NYC, the weight will almost surely break all but the strongest of branches.  That happened to us last year the weekend before Halloween too.

But there's nothing I can do to protect against that.

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
I'm near Richmond, VA and I think the biggest risk to us is a loss of power. They're saying heavy rain and 25-45mph winds which will knock down a lot of trees.

One of the little details I so love about NYC is almost all neighborhoods have buried lines - no telephone poles to be knocked down. 

I am a bit concerned over trees though - the leaves are still on the trees so if it snows, as its being predicted in NYC, the weight will almost surely break all but the strongest of branches.  That happened to us last year the weekend before Halloween too.

I'm just hoping all the weak branches got broken last year and the remaining ones will stay put in this storm.

We're a bit further north, in New Hampshire, and at the moment, all we are supposed to get is strong winds and heavy rain. But strong winds and heavy rain were all that was left of Irene last year and she pretty much wiped out Vermont, so there's no telling.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 02:54:58 PM »
Central NJ here. Ever since Snowmageddon last year (no power for 6 days!), I have a "black-out" box with canned and boxed food, batteries, etc., and lots of bottled water. Grocery shopping yesterday, truck's tank is full, making sure all of the laundry is done, bring in wood for the stove. Now I hope DH doesn't decide to go into work on Monday/Tuesday if it gets too bad.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:59:34 PM »

I'm just hoping all the weak branches got broken last year and the remaining ones will stay put in this storm.

We're a bit further north, in New Hampshire, and at the moment, all we are supposed to get is strong winds and heavy rain. But strong winds and heavy rain were all that was left of Irene last year and she pretty much wiped out Vermont, so there's no telling.

I was just in NH last week and there were no leaves left on any of your trees, you've got nothing to worry about!    ;D  <mumble mumble foliage run my [backside]!>

QueenofAllThings

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 03:01:25 PM »
NJ here - worried about trees down, and, of course - loss of power (which is more of a nuisance than anything else). We have a gas stove fortunately.

Mostly, I get annoyed about the 'life interruption' - cancelled plans, etc. - and loss of food in fridge.

kakack

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
Gaah!  Hurricane Sandy has caused me to reschedule my Ds's birthday party from Sunday to tomorrow.  I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to contact everyone and hope and pray they can still come.  Plus trying to get everything else ready as well - thank Diety that most is already prepared, with just a few things left to do tomorrow morning.

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 03:03:56 PM »
After work I'm going to get some extra food, water, and flashlight batteries.  :D

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:07:27 PM »
We usually have emergency supplies.  We also bought a generator last year -- since we're on a well, when the power goes out we have no water, it's just awful when you can't flush the toilets. :P

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 03:12:42 PM »
Flydell, do you have a bathtub?  If you do, fill the bathtub with water ahead of time and use a bucket to flush the toilets.  You can either refill the tank or you can just pour into the bowl.  The pressure from pouring in the water flushes the toilet.  Unless you also have to pump the sewage and it isn't just gravity fed.  Or you can use rainbarrel water, if you have one set up.

Being comfortably inland, I don't have to worry but for everyone on the East Coast?  Stay safe!
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario