Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 24814 times)

lkdrymom

Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2012, 04:46:16 PM »
Central NJ here, on the PA border.  I'm on top of a mountain so I am more worried about wind. Lost siding is a nightmare to replace.  What I am really worried about is that DS17 FINALLY got a job. ...and he has to work Monday night. I am hoping the storm holds off til late Monday. We have been tryin gto figure out a route home that does not involve going over water.

oogyda

« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »
I'm in southern VA (between Richmond and Virginia Beach).  I feel like we're set.  I did some stock up shopping early in the week, but that was mostly because I'd been away for 2 1/2 weeks.  Friday, I made sure we had plenty of gas for the generator and put away or lashed down anything that could be dangerous in high wind. 

When Irene hit last year, we were without power for more than 6 days and we made it through that fairly easily.  The way Oogydad has the generator set up, it's as close to being a whole house generator as we can get without putting all that money into it.  As long as we don't need the heater, we'll be fine. 

We helped a friend prepare her place and worry a little about flooding around her.  She'll be trapped if there's too much. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

mmswm

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
I grew up in Homestead, FL.  Hurricane Andrew was my Sr. year of high school.  I know first hand how devastating these major storms can be.  I hope everybody in the affected areas stays safe. You are all in my thoughts.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

trailgrrl

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2012, 05:57:39 PM »
@ Oogyda, My son is stationed at Fort Lee in Petersburg.  Just Skyped with him this am.  He seems nonplussed, this is his first Hurricane.  We get some occasional high winds in the PNW, but nothing like what he's going to see in a few days.

He's in for a wild ride I think. 

mmswm

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2012, 06:05:16 PM »
@ Oogyda, My son is stationed at Fort Lee in Petersburg.  Just Skyped with him this am.  He seems nonplussed, this is his first Hurricane.  We get some occasional high winds in the PNW, but nothing like what he's going to see in a few days.

I've lived through a few major hurricanes.  They're pretty intense.  I've also lived in the PNW and the upper midwest, and while both areas can get some pretty substantial winds, there's just something special about the intense, organized force of a hurricane. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2012, 06:38:13 PM »

Small world! We are from OR but moved out here a year ago (DH works within miles of Ft. Lee). Everyone at DH's workplace is being very nonchelant about it, too, and I can tell he thinks I'm way over-prepared. I finally told him "Would you rather have this be no big deal and we've got a week's worth of extra food for no reason OR I blow it off, too, and we're stranded and desperate for 4 days?!"

Honestly last year's hurricane wasn't as bad as I was expecting as far as the actual storm, I've seen worse over at the coast back home. The thing is that the trees out here are much shorter and the roots are more shallow so they come down everywhere and take power lines with them (not to mention blocking roads). If your son is housed in a nice big concrete barracks with access to generator-powered medical and mess halls, he's probably feeling pretty secure. Not that it makes you comfortable having your son out here in it.  ;)

trailgrrl

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2012, 07:49:38 PM »

Small world! We are from OR but moved out here a year ago (DH works within miles of Ft. Lee). Everyone at DH's workplace is being very nonchelant about it, too, and I can tell he thinks I'm way over-prepared. I finally told him "Would you rather have this be no big deal and we've got a week's worth of extra food for no reason OR I blow it off, too, and we're stranded and desperate for 4 days?!"

Honestly last year's hurricane wasn't as bad as I was expecting as far as the actual storm, I've seen worse over at the coast back home. The thing is that the trees out here are much shorter and the roots are more shallow so they come down everywhere and take power lines with them (not to mention blocking roads). If your son is housed in a nice big concrete barracks with access to generator-powered medical and mess halls, he's probably feeling pretty secure. Not that it makes you comfortable having your son out here in it.  ;)

Yep, that pretty much describes his situation.  I'm not terribly worried, just feel like mother of the year for not realizing until about midnight last night that Oh YEAH........ ::) 

We're from the Seattle area, and have always lived in fairly protected areas so power outages have been rare.   My Husband is an East Coast Native and would love to move back.  I think you're smart to be prepared.  We keep a kit on hand in case of Earthquake.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
We're preparing by getting out of town.

We were supposed to fly to Heathrow on Tuesday.  Mr. Thipu did some work and managed to get us on a flight today (Saturday) with no additional charges.  He also managed to change our hotel reservations. 

Five days in London instead of two.  Now, we just have to figure out what we want to do.

We won't have to worry about our house while we're gone.  It's a very sturdy building and all the lines are underground. 

However, other places in NYC could be in trouble.  Many places likely to flood are also places that still have overhead lines.  We'll be thinking about them and praying that everything is all right.

Thipu, don't know if you heard, but it looks like the MTA (the ones who run mass transit for the rest of you) may start shutting down subways at 7PM Sunday.  I'm not worried for myself and my property (for reasons Thipu said), but the main concern here is storm surge and flooding in subways.  Last year, Irene was 8" from doing just that.

JoW

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »
....What I am really worried about is that DS17 FINALLY got a job. ...and he has to work Monday night. I am hoping the storm holds off til late Monday. We have been tryin gto figure out a route home that does not involve going over water. 
Have him take bedding and a couple changes of clothes to work with him, along with food and other necessities.  He needs to be prepared to sleep at work Monday night and maybe a couple days beyond that. 

Being stranded there Monday night means he'll be there, ready to work Tuesday morning when the people schedule to work that shift are stranded at home.  He'll get over time for working that shift, and a "Thanks for the great work" note from his boss in his personnel file. 

I'm in Omaha, Nebraska, far from the storm.  But my previous job is in the storm's path.  My current employer has at least 5 facilities that will get hit, and much of Mom's family is up that way. 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 08:34:22 PM by JoW »

auntmeegs

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
I am right on the Jersey Shore, a mile from the beach.  I am a little nervous, mainly because I almost know for a fact that we are going to lose power - our part of town is on one of the older power grids.  I really do not cope well when the power goes out.  I almost lost my mind lsst year during Irene when we were without power for three days.  And this time, I'm pregnant and highly emotional!

JoW

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
When's your due date?  No, you don't have to tell me.  But if its in the next 6 weeks, call your doctor. 

When I lived near the coast many doctors had any patient due in the next 4 weeks evacuate to the hospital.  I don't know if its the stress or the low atmospheric pressure, but a lot of babies are born 1-2 weeks early during a hurricane. 

Roses

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »
Thinking of everyone on the East Coast.  I'm out west, but have been through some big storms, here's my top tips.

* Be sure the car has gas, and if you have generators, get extra gas cans and fill them.  If power goes out, gas stations can't pump gas.
* Get all the laundry done, run the dishwasher.
* Stock up on water and canned goods, flashlights.
* Bring in all the stuff that could blow around from outside (outdoor furniture, etc).
* Charge all your mobile devices, your regular phone may go out, but your mobile might still work.  Don't forget your eReaders, that might be the only entertainment if the power is out.

Thinking positive thoughts for everyone.

mmswm

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »
Thinking of everyone on the East Coast.  I'm out west, but have been through some big storms, here's my top tips.

* Be sure the car has gas, and if you have generators, get extra gas cans and fill them.  If power goes out, gas stations can't pump gas.
* Bring in all the stuff that could blow around from outside (outdoor furniture, etc).
* Charge all your mobile devices, your regular phone may go out, but your mobile might still work.  Don't forget your eReaders, that might be the only entertainment if the power is out.

In addition to all this, don't forget to get cash.  ATM, Debit and Credit cards won't work if the power is out, and bank branches might not be operable in the aftermath of a major storm.

auntmeegs

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »
When's your due date?  No, you don't have to tell me.  But if its in the next 6 weeks, call your doctor. 

When I lived near the coast many doctors had any patient due in the next 4 weeks evacuate to the hospital.  I don't know if its the stress or the low atmospheric pressure, but a lot of babies are born 1-2 weeks early during a hurricane.

Oh, I'm only 4.5 months.  That is really interesting, though, I've never heard that before!

utkvolfan

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2012, 09:14:51 PM »

These are great suggestions. I've already done all of these. I'm as prepared as I'll ever get.