Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 24695 times)

sourwolf

Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #360 on: November 08, 2012, 09:46:20 PM »
Luci, my cousins had told me about 311, which is the NYC number to call for information (instead of tying up 911 with frivolous questions) and I googled that and bridges and tunnels and got directed to this page.  http://www.511ny.org/
The "social media" and "emergency alert" sections seemto have the information you are looking for. It looks like if you click on "traffic and transit conditions list" you can check on individual bridges and tunnels. 

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #361 on: November 08, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »
Luci, my cousins had told me about 311, which is the NYC number to call for information (instead of tying up 911 with frivolous questions) and I googled that and bridges and tunnels and got directed to this page.  http://www.511ny.org/
The "social media" and "emergency alert" sections seemto have the information you are looking for. It looks like if you click on "traffic and transit conditions list" you can check on individual bridges and tunnels.

Thanks much. I checked it out and think I can figure it out in conjunction with a paper map. Will take some trying as we are not familiar with the areas. Populous areas take some work in the best of times. I also finally found 'nycdot.gov'. I kept wanting to put in 'idot'. Duh. (That would be New York City Department of Transportation and Illinois DOT.)

Info sent to my team lead.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:26:15 AM by Luci45 »

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #362 on: November 08, 2012, 11:58:30 PM »
So glad to hear most of you are coping OK, and I hope you all get power back and your roads are clear and safe.

Just wondering if anyone has done a roll call of eHellions who were in areas presumed to be in the storm's path. For instance, I noticed very frequent poster Thipu1 hasn't been around (or if she has, I've missed it).

Any others silent since Sandy?

I checked her profile and it says she hasn't been on since Oct 27th.  I seem to remember her saying she lives in Brooklyn and I know they got hit pretty hard, so there is a good chance she doesn't have power back yet.  Hopefully she is ok besides that.

Actually I think I remember that she was on a cruise and would be in Europe (London) during Halloween.  So she may still be on vacation and not updating on the site. 

mamakinz

« Reply #363 on: November 09, 2012, 06:17:02 AM »
In conjunction with the 511ny site you can use www.511nj.org

On another note -- today is Friday November 9th -- and I am still siting here in the dark without electricity.  We are being told by Saturday we "should" be back, Sunday at the latest

sourwolf

« Reply #364 on: November 09, 2012, 06:39:23 AM »
I just read an article that starting today NYC and Long Island will be doing the even/odd day gas rationing.  I can't really think that's a good sign about how long TPTB think it will be before things return to normal.

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #365 on: November 09, 2012, 08:01:05 AM »
I just read an article that starting today NYC and Long Island will be doing the even/odd day gas rationing.  I can't really think that's a good sign about how long TPTB think it will be before things return to normal.

All that's left is for Connecticut to start. Here in NJ we've been doing it since early this this week, and let me tell you it really makes you think about what trips are necessary!

(i.e. DH has been stopping at the grocery store on the way home instead of me going to my regular store because my store is out of the way.)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 08:03:34 AM by hermanne »
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #366 on: November 09, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »

All that's left is for Connecticut to start. Here in NJ we've been doing it since early this this week, and let me tell you it really makes you think about what trips are necessary!

(i.e. DH has been stopping at the grocery store on the way home instead of me going to my regular store because my store is out of the way.)

I'm in NJ and have defintiely seen an improvement in gas lines.  not sure if its due to rationing, more stations getting power back and opening, or people realizing they don't NEED to panic, or a combo of all 3. I went out Monday about 10am, and only waited in line about 15 minutes.  I plan to fill up again Sunday, even though I['m only down 1/4 tank.  most of my driving is local, so I can go almost 2 weeks on a tank, but would rather play it safe.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #367 on: November 09, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
We have a slight problem. Our Early Responders Team has a call to Long Island and possibly Staten Island, but we are having trouble finding out if the bridges, tunnels are open so we can get there! We are having arrangements for lodging and fuel and jobs made by the churches, but can't find out if we can actually get there.

I tried to find out if there is a site listing and mapping closures or openings and kept current, but am just getting a lot of outdated information. Here we have maps for snow and construction closures, so are hoping there is something like that for Sandy survivors. We will probably need it on our iPhones and other computers as we approach eastern New York, too, which goes without saying, I guess.

Your help is much appreciated.

I don't know about the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to SI, but driving access to Long Island is fine.  There are three ways to get to LI:

(1) through the Bronx (mainland USA) then over the Triborough (Robert F. Kennedy) Bridge, the Whitestone Bridge or the Throgs Neck Bridge to Queens (which is geographically Long Island)

(2) through NJ over to Manhattan (an island) then to Brooklyn (also geographically Long Island) or Queens, and finally

(3) via ferry from Connecticut.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 11:17:12 AM by WillyNilly »

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #368 on: November 09, 2012, 11:32:36 AM »
We have a slight problem. Our Early Responders Team has a call to Long Island and possibly Staten Island, but we are having trouble finding out if the bridges, tunnels are open so we can get there! We are having arrangements for lodging and fuel and jobs made by the churches, but can't find out if we can actually get there.

I tried to find out if there is a site listing and mapping closures or openings and kept current, but am just getting a lot of outdated information. Here we have maps for snow and construction closures, so are hoping there is something like that for Sandy survivors. We will probably need it on our iPhones and other computers as we approach eastern New York, too, which goes without saying, I guess.

Your help is much appreciated.

I don't know about the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to SI, but driving access to Long Island is fine.  There are three ways to get to LI:

(1) through the Bronx (mainland USA) then over the Triborough (Robert F. Kennedy) Bridge, the Whitestone Bridge or the Throgs Neck Bridge to Queens (which is geographically Long Island)

(2) through NJ over to Manhattan (an island) then to Brooklyn (also geographically Long Island) or Queens, and finally

(3) via ferry from Connecticut.

Thanks. We are thinking about the ferry because the rest of the trip would be a lot easier, although from our launch points coming from the south is more logical mileagewise. But, we will have at least 3 cars and our baby motor home, all of which are fine on ferrys, but the extralong pickup with our service trailer might be problematic in this emergency. Local need the ferry, too! ('Local' is not an insult - when you come to northern Illinois, I will proudly be a 'local'.)

We have secure parking now, but are still worried about the gasoline. Our major imperitive is NOT to be part of the problem, which until this trip has been pretty easy. But we are trying. I am in charge of water and food, and as our son is team lead, I am trying to help him, too.

We are still sad that not everyone has power, fuel is short, and  some water is not usable. It kind of makes me wonder if we are coming in too soon, even though in less populous, less waterbound areas now is the time. (Frustrated emotocome needed  :-\    :'(, for both you guys and us. ) Just praying and planning.

Ehell has helped a lot in our understanding. The news media is doing its best, but I think hearing from you all is better. Thanks.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #369 on: November 09, 2012, 11:49:53 AM »
The advantage to coming via CT is gas for sure as they haven't started rationing (I believe because they don't need to).  I would definitely check the ferry will take over trucks before trying though.  Also bear in mind the ferry puts you pretty far east on the Island (as an FYI that's how most people refer to it here, "the island") into Suffolk county.  For Nassau county the bridges are easier and quicker.  Also make sure you take the Bridgeport/Pt Jefferson ferry (http://www.88844ferry.com/Home.aspx) not the one to Orient Point!  Orient Point is the very tip of the north fork - Long Island forks at the east end - and would be a major hassle to get to the south fork or Nassau, etc.  Lovely wineries though  :)

As for if its the right time - the situations out here vary from "totally normal life" to "total devastation" with everything in between, so while it might be too early for some folks, for others, its probably just about right.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #370 on: November 09, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »
The advantage to coming via CT is gas for sure as they haven't started rationing (I believe because they don't need to).  I would definitely check the ferry will take over trucks before trying though.  Also bear in mind the ferry puts you pretty far east on the Island (as an FYI that's how most people refer to it here, "the island") into Suffolk county.  For Nassau county the bridges are easier and quicker.  Also make sure you take the Bridgeport/Pt Jefferson ferry (http://www.88844ferry.com/Home.aspx) not the one to Orient Point!  Orient Point is the very tip of the north fork - Long Island forks at the east end - and would be a major hassle to get to the south fork or Nassau, etc.  Lovely wineries though  :)

As for if its the right time - the situations out here vary from "totally normal life" to "total devastation" with everything in between, so while it might be too early for some folks, for others, its probably just about right.

Printed. Thanks.

I don't know which town we are going to, but after going well over 900 mi, a few more won't make a difference as long as it is easier traveling,

Wineries? By our rules, we can only work 3 days in a row so must take a day off. Sounds good if any are open!

We must take the hiatus because we get too involved emotionally with our homeowners, and the insurance company worries because so many of us are old, even though able to do the work.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
« Reply #371 on: November 09, 2012, 12:40:02 PM »
You will find plenty of things to do on LI, and its really only about 150 miles long so depending where you are you could hit the east end for wineries or the west end is NYC, with great shopping all through the middle. 

Than you for coming.  I've lived on LI (in Queens) my whole life, it really is touching to know people are coming from so far to help.

auntmeegs

« Reply #372 on: November 09, 2012, 01:00:46 PM »
Day 12, still no power. 

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #373 on: November 09, 2012, 06:02:18 PM »

I'm in NJ and have defintiely seen an improvement in gas lines.  not sure if its due to rationing, more stations getting power back and opening, or people realizing they don't NEED to panic, or a combo of all 3. I went out Monday about 10am, and only waited in line about 15 minutes.  I plan to fill up again Sunday, even though I['m only down 1/4 tank.  most of my driving is local, so I can go almost 2 weeks on a tank, but would rather play it safe.

NJ may end it's rationing on Monday. (sorry, can't link the news article on my phone.)
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #374 on: November 09, 2012, 06:17:22 PM »
Day 12, still no power.

You are in my thoughts.