Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy  (Read 23986 times)

MOM21SON

Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2012, 07:48:47 PM »
Day 12, still no power.

You are in my thoughts.

And mine as well.  Since you are able to post, I am taking that as a good sign.

mamakinz

« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »
It's almost bedtime -- our 12th night without power.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #377 on: December 05, 2012, 04:18:34 PM »
I know this thread is supposed to be about the survivors, about their problems and triumphs.

I have talked about our Early Response Team going, and now, finally, I am glad to report that the area is organized enough - a triumph in itself - that they are ready for us. A couple of missions fell through because they just weren't ready for us yet. They were still working with First Responders.

A team of 8 is leaving Saturday for New Stanton PA for an overnight hosted by a church, then on to Staten Island for 5 days of work to help. Most of our work will be gutting damaged homes, we are told, but it is always a surprise what people are really asking for and we have to be prepared for just about anything.

I pray the weather is good for our working - 40 and 50 degrees with no precipitation is ideal, really - and that we have the stamina to keep up the pace as we usually only work 3 days, but going 1800 miles round trip makes it seem we ought to put more time in. Mostly, I'm looking forward to being of service, hearing the stories of the courageous people who have seen the worst and pulling out of it.

If you want to know where our home church will be next week, PM me. I would love to hear from you, and maybe meet someone.

I also would love to see this thread revived now that we are so far into recovery. It will take years, but there seems to be progress already.