Author Topic: "Ew. Why would you want to live there?"  (Read 4647 times)

Anniissa

Re: "Ew. Why would you want to live there?"
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2012, 07:43:30 AM »
I think wherever you buy you find at least some people criticising your choice of location. I've had friends live all over London and nobody has ever found the holy grail of perfect location that everybody loves! When I first moved to SE London, I had a couple of people question why I'd want to live there - surely it was wild and dangerous and I'd be sure to be mugged/shot/broken into. I can honestly say though that I've never felt any less secure living here than when I lived in North London or West London or even other cities/towns. As long as you're happy with where you live thats the main thing. Everybody who has visited us has always loved the place - great old Victorian houses, some nice pubs, lovely green spaces, nice little Saturday farmers market. It's definitely up and coming - when I moved here about 5 years ago most people had no idea where it was but now quite a few people are talking about it and either live here or know people who do. It's still one of the few affordable areas in zone 2 so it's getting pretty popular.

Basically, forget the naysayers - get on with exploring your new area and finding lots to love about it!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2012, 08:15:42 AM »
yeah, i do think that if it is too rural some people will think it is out in the middle of nowhere and boring, to long to drive to, nothing to do, no good restaurants, etc.  OTOH, If you live in the city other people will complain about traffic, parking, etc. So even if there is no reputation as a "bad" area somebody won't be impressed with it.

That being said, if it truly is or was a bad area I think that there needs to be an understanding.  People might be worried about your safety and they are definitely entitled to choose not to visit if they have concerns but you have every right to live there.  I do think I would make sure not to make anybody who is uncomfortable visiting the area feel pressured about visiting.

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 11:43:31 AM »
"Have you been there lately?  Check it out and then let me know what you think."

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2012, 12:22:35 PM »
yeah, i do think that if it is too rural some people will think it is out in the middle of nowhere and boring, to long to drive to, nothing to do, no good restaurants, etc.

True, that. When I split from the ex and moved to a neighboring small town for some distance, a few asked, "Nowheresville? What could possibly be in Nowheresville?". I replied "Not a thing- and that's exactly the way I want it." End of discussion.

heartmug

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »
"Have you been there lately?  Check it out and then let me know what you think."

This.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2012, 02:46:11 PM »
"That's what they used to say about Chelsea."

CharlieBraun

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 12:16:48 PM »
"I'd love to show you around - when we were looking, we were so surprised at how great it is.  There's a Farmer's Market next Saturday - meet you there!"
"We ate the pies."

sunnygirl

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
I don't have any advice, but I really think literally anywhere in London is considered desirable simply because it is London. I mean, there are tons of people who would happily live in a shoebox above a public toilet absolutely anywhere in the city just to be able to live in London.

O'Dell

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 12:31:24 PM »
When I meet people, they often ask what part of town I live in. I don't consider it rude to be asked, but when I reply, the response is often along the lines of a wrinkled nose, or even in some cases "Ugh! Why would you buy a home there?"

How do you answer the first question? Have you tried using that first response to discourage the question you "know" is coming.

Maybe a bored "We live in HovelTown." If you can manage a subject change and/or a question about the questioner, that would be good.

Or a more preemptive cheery: "Oh we found a lovely little house/flat/shed in HovelTown We really like it there." If they miss that hint and still ask why *there*, "I just told you! We like it!" with a little disbelief.
Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.
Walt Whitman

Giggity

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2012, 12:50:09 PM »
"That's where my house is."
Words mean things.